Lets face it

Blue Pike

At a national level EnglandR.L /G.B R.L which ever you want to call it plus the national gootball tram we are inferiour to England R.U.FC who are unbeaten under the fantastic Coach of Eddie Jones.Good luck to them even though I dont like R.U but as a R.L nation what are we doing wrong?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At a national level EnglandR.L /G.B R.L which ever you want to call it plus the national gootball tram we are inferiour to England R.U.FC who are unbeaten under the fantastic Coach of Eddie Jones.Good luck to them even though I dont like R.U but as a R.L nation what are we doing wrong?

Let's face it, England RU should be at the top of the game! The resources they have, both in terms of finance and playing numbers, alongside societal support, far outweigh any other countries in the world. 

Personally, and l know l am biased, mildly pleased an English team won, but was appalled by the poor basic skills of passing and tackling on show! 

No time for Union. Was barred from playing in 1968 because I had played amateur League. Reading the history I found out that during the World War 11 they had supported the Vichy government ruled by the Nazi's so they could  take all the resources of French RL because it had been progressing. Hypocrites is the word. They never mentioned 'boot money' when they were supposed to be amateurs. 

No time for Union. Was barred from playing in 1968 because I had played amateur League. Reading the history I found out that during the World War 11 they had supported the Vichy government ruled by the Nazi's so they could take all the resources of French RL because it had been progressing. Hypocrites is the word. They never mentioned 'boot money' when they were supposed to be amateurs.

Harsh words from a respected veteren but someone please tell me as a R.L nation why are we #### compared to our old foe England R.U

All down to brass at the top, backhanders of cash and brainwashing of people to think that it is a more elite game. I served in the army with southerners and they think that everything up North is ######. Going back in time we were not allowed to play RL even in our area at grammar school. Funnily enough in the army if you had played RL you were straight into the first 15. Outside of that you were banned from RU if you had played League. Big business, wheels within wheels and the old boy net is why we are lagging behind. Nothing to do with how good the game is. If it was left to the Southerners we wouldn't even have a vote.

Additionally the big money men have done their best to stop RL developing overseas. Down to TV audiences again. If you see newspaper reports and TV adverts long enough you go down that track. Any newspaper gives lots of coverage to RU. We don't hardly get a mention. If something isn't advertised sufficiently then it is not important to the reader potential spectator. If you ask why we don't get coverage it is down to the big boys again thinking of their income from their financial association with the R.U. They are the elite, we are working class. Here to be manipulated and used for their purposes.

We're living well into the 21st century.... not vichy france.

That particular sporting apartheid ended a generation ago.....

Rugby union has come on in leaps and bounds since professionalism. League can't get close to it. People love the product as unpalatable that is for some to take.

I played it. I enjoyed it

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

And yet our TV audiences are greater than theirs. I also enjoyed playing RU. In the army I played at Aldershot. It still remains that the big boys have investments there and control the media and business. Recent example restriction of oil produce so they can put up prices. We don't get enough advertising and coverage. If you are suggesting Robin that kick and rush is a better game then so be it. Everyone to their likes. Because something is in the past doesn't make it right and the attitude to us remains the same.

I think they regard us as an irrelevance colin. We are no threat any longer. Union has such a greater portfolio.

I don't recall saying it was a better game. But repeated sell outs at 100 quid a pop for all games would suggest a lot of people do.

The invasion of poland was wrong.

The attack on pearl harbour was wrong

But 70 years on we buy german and japanese cars. German engineering and japanese technology colin. The world has moved on.

Union stopped giving a toss about league a full generation ago.

Union has a massive turnover. Its huge by comparison to league. People enjoy it.... even some who also enjoy league

I wasn't aware OPEC had any influence on the popularity of either code.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Additionally the big money men have done their best to stop RL developing overseas. Down to TV audiences again. If you see newspaper reports and TV adverts long enough you go down that track. Any newspaper gives lots of coverage to RU. We don't hardly get a mention. If something isn't advertised sufficiently then it is not important to the reader potential spectator. If you ask why we don't get coverage it is down to the big boys again thinking of their income from their financial association with the R.U. They are the elite, we are working class. Here to be manipulated and used for their purposes.

Sounds to me like the comparison between Super League and the Chamionship - The elite are just as bad in Rugby League.

No time for Union. Was barred from playing in 1968 because I had played amateur League. 

Funny that, only two years later I played in Fev juniors and the Castleford & District RL side with Colin Lambert, Cliff's son. He was also a well known schoolboy RU international at the time. It didn't stop him going on to represent Yorkshire U'19's at Rugby League though. A couple of years later he went on to play for Headingley RU, probably the top side in Yorkshire at the time, before moving down south to play for Harlequins RU, from where I believe he joined the England squad, although I'm not sure whether he actually represented his country. He did play at county level though. They must have known he'd played amateur RL but as he was with top clubs I think a blind eye must have been turned.

I've said my piece. Only would remark that when asked about my experience I told them of the RU clubs I played for and then mentioned my RL experience. Then I was banned. Perhaps when asked he didn't mention his RL experience as it might have been a one off. As for playing both games in your time Robin we are talking a lot later I presume. It doesn't sound as there is any agreement with my comments. However Blue Pike asked a question and I gave him my answer as I saw it. Cheers.

i know of a lad who played for England RU at under 19 level. Fev asked him to come and play a trial game. he said "no, if i do that i will lose my amateur status and won't be allowed to play union again, give me a contract". Fev said no, and that was it. i would say this was late eighties.

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

My Dad did his national service in the RAF, his squadron leader or who ever it was didn't like giving my Dad time off to play rugby league for Rovers, but wouldn't have had a problem if it had been for union, so glad he stuck with league

Im Fev and im proud

Our expansion is barred by big business and public schools. Barring is still relevant. Ady Spencer was barred by the RFU from playing in the Varsity RU match in 1995 as he had played RL at Warrington as a youngster. Expansion overseas was curtailed in the UAE as at the instigation of the RU a Lebanese was locked up in jail. There was some hint that my story wasn't true but I suppose some clubs turned a blind eye telling the lad not to broadcast the info about his RL connections. However it did happen and there is proof to show it did.

Our expansion is barred by big business and public schools. Barring is still relevant. Ady Spencer was barred by the RFU from playing in the Varsity RU match in 1995 as he had played RL at Warrington as a youngster. Expansion overseas was curtailed in the UAE as at the instigation of the RU a Lebanese was locked up in jail. There was some hint that my story wasn't true but I suppose some clubs turned a blind eye telling the lad not to broadcast the info about his RL connections. However it did happen and there is proof to show it did.

I don't read anythings anyone's posted that question honesty integrity or validity of your post colin.

Just that it was last century. A generation ago and time to let it go.

Public schools are service providers. They provide what folks who can afford those fees want.

In the public sector schools have on their sporting curriculum what is wanted.

Many more kids in this country prefer union to league. Just like their parents.

Whilst the amateur game in league contracts, union expands. Particularly at junior level, mirroring their schooling. People make their choices colin.

I much prefer league, i thinks its by far the better of the two games. I acknowledge i am in a tiny minority.

In the 21st century colin, its customer demand that determines expansion.

Union... folks lap up

League... is restricted to a few nutters like us

Archived