Batley and Fev's success..

RedAndGoldArmy

Article on Serious About Rugby League about the success of Batley and Featherstone, and how it gives hope to fellow part-time clubs in the Championship - http://seriousaboutrl.com/championship/batley-and-fev-give-hope-to-fellow-part-time-clubs

Massive congratulations on your third place finish, thoroughly deserved!

Usually in Sunderland, sometimes in Sheffield. 

Write for a few rugby league websites, mainly about the Kingstone Press Championship. 

Twitter - @DFSports97

What does this mean for other part-time teams in the Championship?

I thought I would post my reply to this topic from the Fev board on here as it is probably a bit more apt with the discussion of the salary cap on here.

That is the question. IMO all it means is each year 1 or maybe 2 part time teams are in with a shot of getting 4 games against the giants from SL. This will reduce from next year onwards with the inclusion this year of Toulouse and then the following year with Toronto making the Championship. The question really should be, how can the part time teams like Fev, Fax, Batley etc push on and actually mount a realistic challenge for promotion?

The new format is a nice novelty but the teams that were trapped under the old franchise system still seem nowhere nearer getting in to SL with even Leigh despite DB throwing money down the pan at them and still looking short of of enough quality to make SL.

I thought I would post my reply to this topic from the Fev board on here as it is probably a bit more apt with the discussion of the salary cap on here.

That is the question. IMO all it means is each year 1 or maybe 2 part time teams are in with a shot of getting 4 games against the giants from SL. This will reduce from next year onwards with the inclusion this year of Toulouse and then the following year with Toronto making the Championship. The question really should be, how can the part time teams like Fev, Fax, Batley etc push on and actually mount a realistic challenge for promotion?

The new format is a nice novelty but the teams that were trapped under the old franchise system still seem nowhere nearer getting in to SL with even Leigh despite DB throwing money down the pan at them and still looking short of of enough quality to make SL.

Simple really, they can't.

P&R in RL is pie in the sky for all but a couple of teams (not including Halifax) and the sport is ultimately worse off because of it. A properly structured and managed franchise system is the only one that will work for our sport as a whole, even if parochialism argues against this logic.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Any format will see fev and batley struggle to gain promotion unless a derek beaumont type character with money to chuck at us rocks up and ssays let go....

Unless our clubs can accrue that kind of backing SL will remain dreamland im afraid.

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Archived