Match Officials - Inadequate Resources

Before anyone shoots me down, I know that bodies and money are tight in the match officials department.

But after seeing Joe Cobb wrongly award a try to Jay Pitts in this afternoon's Bradford v Batley game.

It's high time all games in the Championship and League One had the benefit of in-goal officials.

If there was an in-goal official at Odsal this afternoon three of Joe Cobb's in-goal decisions would have been over turned.

One of which resulted in the incorrect awarding of a try which could have huge implications at the end of the season.

To quote an irate and angry John Kear after the game: "people's livelihoods are at stake" and as someone who lives and breathes the sport of Rugby League.

I find it almost embarrassing that in 2016 we can't adequately staff games to ensure the correct decisions are made.

The NRL has hordes of referees in attention together with the multi-screen bunker and they still get some decisions wrong. As long as any sport has referees (and I am not aware of any real alternative) then there will be occasional errors.

As Tony Smith said after a recent match, you can look at the couple of errors that you believe the referee might have made or you can look at the host of errors made by your own players. One you can affect, the other you can't.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I would like to see the in goal touch judges as would be additional support to the referee. It probably would avoid a few wrong calls but there will always be mistakes or interpretations of what has occurred. It is a snap decision unlike the tv replays.

What would be the cost per game to make that change?

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

To err is human; to forgive, divine...

...EXCEPT WHEN IT'S AGAINST MY TEAM!  :angry:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Problem is it's never against your blooming team

No, it 'never' is, is it?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

... and if you still get a wrong decision with an in goal judge, what's your next call?

You will always get wrong/disputed calls, you use what you can afford to try and get as many right as possible, but the budget is not unlimited.

Should we have big screens and video refs at amateur games? That's where you are heading.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I would like to see the in goal touch judges as would be additional support to the referee. It probably would avoid a few wrong calls but there will always be mistakes or interpretations of what has occurred. It is a snap decision unlike the tv replays.

What would be the cost per game to make that change?

The official line from the match officials department is that whilst they'd love to have in-goal officials at all Championship games.

Finance and resources dictate otherwise.

The extra cost to fund 26 in-goal judges at Championship and League One level was put at £4,000 per week.

That's an extra £100,000 to fund the whole season.

The official line from the match officials department is that whilst they'd love to have in-goal officials at all Championship games.

Finance and resources dictate otherwise.

The extra cost to fund 26 in-goal judges at Championship and League One level was put at £4,000 per week.

That's an extra £100,000 to fund the whole season.

£4K per week looks very very high. About half that would appear to be more realistic.

When did a goal line official ever do anything useful? Similar to European football, stand their for 80/90 mins and then go " missing" when needed!

On a regular basis

They would have got the Cas BBC TV decision correct whilst the VR couldn't get a decent camera view

looks really low to me. Are we talking around 24 extra officials per week?

£150 per In Goal TJ looks very high

Mind you they could do away with official timekeepers and match assssors as the clubs provided the former for years with no issues and the assessment can be done via DVD

The match commissioner would still be required

£150 per In Goal TJ looks very high

Mind you they could do away with official timekeepers and match assssors as the clubs provided the former for years with no issues and the assessment can be done via DVD

The match commissioner would still be required

Don't forget that that's an averaged price to include match expenses, flights to Toulouse, journeys to London, ref kits, comms kits, training sessions, additional assessing costs and so on.  £150 is a very low figure. 

An example, someone travelling from, say, West Yorkshire to London and back again is a 400 mile round trip at 45ppm giving travel expenses of £180 alone.  Although most match officials will travel together if from roughly the same area, flight costs to Toulouse alone will be expensive over a year.

On assessing, the post-match debrief is the most valuable development point for a match official as they will still have the game fresh in their mind and can give state-of-mind answers to questions around why they decided something.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Don't forget that that's an averaged price to include match expenses, flights to Toulouse, journeys to London, ref kits, comms kits, training sessions, additional assessing costs and so on.  £150 is a very low figure. 

An example, someone travelling from, say, West Yorkshire to London and back again is a 400 mile round trip at 45ppm giving travel expenses of £180 alone.  Although most match officials will travel together if from roughly the same area, flight costs to Toulouse alone will be expensive over a year.

On assessing, the post-match debrief is the most valuable development point for a match official as they will still have the game fresh in their mind and can give state-of-mind answers to questions around why they decided something.

The match assessor isn't at every game and reviews are done after the game at home. These jobs and the time keeper ones look and feel like jobs for the boys

I'm fairly certain that they don't pay 45p per mile and do cap expenses low

If you are talking all in costs then maybe £4K is closer to the mark but the additional kit will be minimal as there won't be much extra kit needed. Training sessions would remain the same

Even then £50k or £100k pa should be findable if the RFL really wanted to do this

The match assessor isn't at every game and reviews are done after the game at home. These jobs and the time keeper ones look and feel like jobs for the boys

I'm fairly certain that they don't pay 45p per mile and do cap expenses low

If you are talking all in costs then maybe £4K is closer to the mark but the additional kit will be minimal as there won't be much extra kit needed. Training sessions would remain the same

Even then £50k or £100k pa should be findable if the RFL really wanted to do this

I'm only quoting the figure I was given by the match officials department.

Let's not forget, the referee got the call wrong according to the poster. As far as the professionally trained and developed team of three officials are concerned, they got the decisions correct.

Decisions will always go against you. Far less will go against you due to match official error. Coaches, players and fans would be far better focusing on the errors outside the referee's control...

Let's not forget, the referee got the call wrong according to the poster. As far as the professionally trained and developed team of three officials are concerned, they got the decisions correct.

Decisions will always go against you. Far less will go against you due to match official error. Coaches, players and fans would be far better focusing on the errors outside the referee's control...

Here here...

I've just never seen John Kear behave like that in a post match presser.

Over the years I've come to the conclusion the video ref should be dumped

Or we have it at all pro games

Should we have big screens and video refs at amateur games? That's where you are heading.

Ant & Padge or is it Padge & Ant I always find it hard to distinguish on Saturday night! ;)

Ant I agree all SL games but too much to ask the Championship.

Padge really? No, this is not where we're heading, be you age! :D

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

When did a goal line official ever do anything useful? Similar to European football, stand their for 80/90 mins and then go " missing" when needed!

Steve, your selection of soccer as an example is naively selective.  That sport has come very late to the concept.  So the actual answer to your question is "regularly, routinely and frequently", as in, for instance Aussie Rules football, Gaelic football, hurling, shinty and ice hockey.

For instance, in ice hockey, the goal judge will turn on a red light to indicate that the puck has crossed the goal line and into the goal.  It is, however, the referee who makes the final decision (ie whether the puck was propelled there legitimately)  Usually, s/he will have seen for him/herself, but if in doubt may also engage the goal judge in a conversation, to maximise the chance of getting the decision right.

If it was affordable, I think in-goal judges in championship rugby league would be a good thing.  Incidentally, the English Premier League ice hockey competition, with typical crowds around the thousand mark, routinely affords one referee, two linesmen/women, two goal judges and at least one timekeeper, though some of these may be locally based and thus have negligible travelling expenses.

Ahh a Game Caller thread questioning the decisions of match officials.  Its like going back in time.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived