The struggles of a budding, unfamilair junior section-a must read!

It is a good read but you do not surprise me with the attitude of the YJ, arrogant and unhelpful a dictatorship springs to mind, it does not get any better when the age groups get older. Things were not perfect under Yorkshire Youth/Combination, West Riding Youth or the Hull and District leagues but not many clubs who play in the YJ who you talk too dont respect the attitude of most of the officials, make sure your paperwork is in order or you won't get any games for any of the players.

Some interesting points in there. Knowing the people involved with setting my up the 'Little Lokos' and how hard the two of them still work it's a little sad that they are unable to offer the youngsters some regular fixtures to suit.

My take on it is that I believe it is a little counterproductive having children of 6, 7, 8 years old in weekly fixtures. It would be much better to be able to organise friendlies as and when, a bit like a merit league. Not overloading the children and parents with having to make them selves available every week. Also teams with a limited number of players don't have the pressure of having to play every week.

It is a good read but you do not surprise me with the attitude of the YJ, arrogant and unhelpful a dictatorship springs to mind, it does not get any better when the age groups get older. Things were not perfect under Yorkshire Youth/Combination, West Riding Youth or the Hull and District leagues but not many clubs who play in the YJ who you talk too respect the attitude of most of the officials, make sure your paperwork is in order or you won't get any games for any of the players.

Instead of moaning, volunteer.It's fine hiding behind a pseudonym criticising. Paperwork has to be in order at ALL levels of the game.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I get where your coming from you effectively want a nurture group to help ease new players in to the game. The let down is YJL as they should respect your wishes but also there is no reason why you cant join the league and do a Baldrick and have a cunning plan!!

If i had 20 lads and wanted to nurture them into the sport i would only turn 10 lads out every week therefore have all 20 lads on a 2 week rotation, sometimes you just have to think outside the box and play them at there own game..SIMPLES

I get where your coming from you effectively want a nurture group to help ease new players in to the game. The let down is YJL as they should respect your wishes but also there is no reason why you cant join the league and do a Baldrick and have a cunning plan!!

If i had 20 lads and wanted to nurture them into the sport i would only turn 10 lads out every week therefore have all 20 lads on a 2 week rotation, sometimes you just have to think outside the box and play them at there own game..SIMPLES

Sounds good

If next year you have 7s, 8s and 9s - you could enter a team in the 9s league and use all available ages in the squad

Some great replies, as expected a range of opinions have been delivered!

I do like the idea of playing them (the officials) at their own game, that's of course if they will play ball with us first!

To directly reply to DoubleD who doesn't 'see a problem'-for starters we did look into entering a under 8s section into the league this year but the decision got made for us when we 'surprising' didn't received the relevant paperwork to fill in. More so though initially, this time last year we didn't know if the good numbers would continue, were parents committed enough for weekly fixtures, would the children be put off the sport by been thrown 'into the deep end', would the club be fined for not completing fixtures......all question you would hope and expect a league board to answer and assist further rather than a 'in or your out' attitude. I could be very wrong but I would make an assumption that DoubleD is from a traditional rugby league area, associated with a established club.

To digress further this subject is a great debate to have, I think the primary rugby league concept is brilliant, it really helps children develop. Of course different clubs have different needs, some will say entering the club mentioned in link into weekly fixtures straight away would have hindered their development and could have put them back to square one, others will say by not entering the league the club in the link is 'wrapping the players in cotton wool' and 'been left behind' in regards playing/skill-set standard.

Of either opinion you are surely there can't be a disagreement that a league of any sport should in the least support anyone that is providing fun, welcoming, inclusive and safe opportunities within the laws of the relevant game?

It's worth not making assumptions on here. Yes I agree the league/RFL could have been more supportive but they are trying to protect the integrity of their league which is inevitable because they don't want clubs just doing their own thing.

I think North Leeds Leopards had festivals inviting teams during their inaugural year to prepare them for the league the following year..........might be worth getting in touch with the. Garforth Tigers also a new team not too far away who you could pick the brains of

As I openly admitted I could well be wrong with my assumptions and I clearly am!

Good minds clearly do think alike though as the Lokos have had some really positive conversations with the clubs you mentioned and hopefully can move forward with them. Regards the festivals that is a super idea that we considered but we were told YJL clubs couldn't play us as we weren't registered.......We considered inviting NW junior teams as their junior committing accepted our views and were willing to 'sign' us on. How ludicrous is that, a York club signed to the NWC league!

There must be an option for the YJL to introduce a merit style league? What would be the downfalls?

Surely some common sense needs to be applied here to promote and develop the club ?

We in the Nw  do not insist on clubs having to commit to a full season when they are in York Locos position , we simply would find them fixtures if and when they want them , like we are doing with Belle Vue Bees , South Trafford , Liverpool Lions and Flintshire Falcons .

Think the YJ management need to be more empathetic and be a touch more flexible .

The integrity of the league would be greatly enhanced if they did show a bit more compassion ?

• 4 weeks later...

Just cant believe it, every league plus the rfl should be doing there utmost in supporting both new players and teams joining the game of rugby league, and the RFL have just sat on the fence on this one, this doesn't surprise me to be truthful, hope everything works out for the teams.

Archived