Prime Minister pledges support for Rugby League World Cup

During Prime Ministers Questions on Wednesday 10 July, Parliamentary Rugby League Group Chairman, Leeds North West MP Greg Mulholland, called on the Prime Minister to support fully and promote the Rugby League World Cup 2013 and in response, David Cameron affirmed to the House his strong support for the UK hosting the tournament.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Cameron was pretty poor in the Commons today.  

It pointedly avoided saying, when asked, whether he would attend any of the world cup matches.  And then managed to change the subject as quickly as possible away from rugby league to the cricket.  

We don't ask for much - and we don't get it.

He couldn't really win here, could he?

It's not about winning it's about "waaahhh, but, but, but he's a a a a TORY!!!"

If it's not a major royal presenting the trophy then he's next on the list for me. Lets try and have someone of public "importance" doling out the prize. or Gary Schofield.

If it's not a major royal presenting the trophy then he's next on the list for me. Lets try and have someone of public "importance" doling out the prize. or Gary Schofield.

Id rather it was someone who deserved it

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

I agree that the comments are all about the fact that he is a Tory.

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM.  I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics.  That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal.  I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

Edited by Saintslass

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM. I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics. That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal. I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

Any politician is going to heighten divisions between people

And it's pretty nauseating when they attempt to get some kind of vicarious credibility by their presence at events like this no matter what party they represent

Keeping it local

However, the last person I would want to see presenting the trophy is a Tory MP/PM.  I remember the boos Osborne got at the Olympics.  That wasn't a proud moment for us in terms of global image but more than that it was embarrassing to hear people booing when an athlete was being presented with their medal.  I don't want our sport's biggest event in yonks spoiled by idiots in the crowd who think it's cool to boo Tory politicians when in fact all it does is insult the athletes.

I thought it was a great British moment. Was that going to happen in that communist utopia of North Korea?

Rubbish.

I despise politicians seeking publicity from sport.

Cameron is a slimy man, he's been all over the success of Andy Murray, the Olympians etc etc ALL after the event whilsy at the same time his economic and social policies are directly damaging sports participation rates across the board.

The man cannot help himself in seeking out what he considers good news stories to get his mug shot all over. I'll give it ten minutes after the forthcoming royal birth before he's there grinning telling the world how the entire nation is overjoyed.

This isn't unique to Tories, but he's a serial and noxious offender. Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians.

Edited by Larry the Leit

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Rubbish.

I despise politicians seeking publicity from sport.

Cameron is a slimy man, he's been all over the success of Andy Murray, the Olympians etc etc ALL after the event whilsy at the same time his economic and social policies are directly damaging sports participation rates across the board.

The man cannot help himself in seeking out what he considers good news stories to get his mug shot all over. I'll give it ten minutes after the forthcoming royal birth before he's there grinning telling the world how the entire nation is overjoyed.

This isn't unique to Tories, but he's a serial and noxious offender. Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians.

Could not disagree more. But that is beside the point, which is  that thanks to Greg Mulholland and Mr Speaker,  the Rugby World Cup got a mention in Parliament and on national television. That should be welcomed.

But if Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians, Mulholland should have kept quiet, in your view.

Honestly if you think you have it bad on the mainland, come here and you'll soon stop moaning :D

Secondly, I get the impression that none of our leaders are that interested in sport unlike their equivalents Down Under though I'm sure those posters on here who live / have lived in Australia or New Zealand could give us some insight.

There is an all-parliamentary committee on rugby league and if my memory serves me right, they were rather focal on the subject of shamateurism in the 90s.

Could not disagree more. But that is beside the point, which is that thanks to Greg Mulholland and Mr Speaker, the Rugby World Cup got a mention in Parliament and on national television. That should be welcomed.

But if Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians, Mulholland should have kept quiet, in your view.

Mulholland was/is trying to further the interests of the game because he's actually interested in it and works to address the under representation it has in the media and society.

Cameron just wants his shiny slimy mug associated with any good PR stories for his own political gain which is massively different in my eyes.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

Could not disagree more. But that is beside the point, which is  that thanks to Greg Mulholland and Mr Speaker,  the Rugby World Cup got a mention in Parliament and on national television. That should be welcomed.

But if Sport shouldn't be a publicity platform for politicians, Mulholland should have kept quiet, in your view.

correct

Mulholland was acting relative to his role in the all party parliamentary rugby league group, and he represents a constituency which includes a massive part of rugby league's fan base, and the home of one of the most famous clubs in the game: North West Leeds.

Keeping it local

If Cameron giving a mention to the RLWC sells just one extra ticket then it's worth it.

Chapeau to Greg Mulholland too for his good work.