2 pacific players buck trend & tell City-Country to get stuffed!

Following on from Joey Leulia telling City-Country to do one when they tried to pick him over Samoa, this week David Mead and Kane Evans have both said they will play in the Pacific tests and not in the pointless NSW friendly. Both Mead and Evans played in City-Country last year.

Is the tide ever so slowly turning? This article states a couple more may follow and it is the World Cup which is the pull. Oh, for an international calendar in place with Confed Cup etc.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sydney-roosters-prop-kane-evans-bucks-trend-choosing-fiji-over-citycountry-clash-20160429-gohvyc.html

Hallelujah!

Also, apparently it was a scoop on Sterlo on Premier Sports that Frank Pritchard and Sika Manu were flying back for the Samoa-Tonga game so they can captain their respective sides. I hope this is true and Hull give it their blessing.

Also, apparently it was a scoop on Sterlo on Premier Sports that Frank Pritchard and Sika Manu were flying back for the Samoa-Tonga game so they can captain their respective sides. I hope this is true and Hull give it their blessing.

Yes I heard that earlier. Would mean we are without them for the Saints cup game. Not sure if there's truth in it as nothing has been mentioned before. If it is I too hope Hull let them go. It will affect us but you shouldn't stand in the way of a player captaining his country.

Yes I heard that earlier. Would mean we are without them for the Saints cup game. Not sure if there's truth in it as nothing has been mentioned before. If it is I too hope Hull let them go. It will affect us but you shouldn't stand in the way of a player captaining his country.

It may also be money in the bank for keeping these guys long term - it works both ways.

I found this article also interesting:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/mal-meningas-stunning-admission-australian-players-have-lost-passion-for-the-jumper-20160428-gohka5.html

People may disagree but I didn't like the tone of the article; can't quite put my finger on it but it made me feel like I can't wait for the OP game and to boo the bejesus out of the Aussie. I hope we teach them a good hard lesson.

I found this article also interesting:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/mal-meningas-stunning-admission-australian-players-have-lost-passion-for-the-jumper-20160428-gohka5.html

People may disagree but I didn't like the tone of the article; can't quite put my finger on it but it made me feel like I can't wait for the OP game and to boo the bejesus out of the Aussie. I hope we teach them a good hard lesson.

Jesus, this is the same guy who for 10 years has been saying Origin is the pinnacle - is he surprised? Guess what big Mal was spouting 18 months ago - that we should axe the 4N because of a few injuries.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/queensland-coach-mal-meninga-says-the-four-nations-should-have-been-axed-for-2014/story-e6frf3ou-1227100223657?from=public_rss

I watched Sterlo and Blake Ferguson said he didn't even get a call from Meninga to say he was in the team - it was a text. He said he hasn't spoken to Meninga since 2012. Yet Corey Parker said for all the years he has played for Queensland the coach phones players personally - it is the same coach FFS!

Meninga nearly got PNG to crash and burn levels. I hope it is England that finds him out on this comfy little gig.

Following on from Joey Leulia telling City-Country to do one when they tried to pick him over Samoa, this week David Mead and Kane Evans have both said they will play in the Pacific tests and not in the pointless NSW friendly. Both Mead and Evans played in City-Country last year.

Is the tide ever so slowly turning? This article states a couple more may follow and it is the World Cup which is the pull. Oh, for an international calendar in place with Confed Cup etc.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/sydney-roosters-prop-kane-evans-bucks-trend-choosing-fiji-over-citycountry-clash-20160429-gohvyc.html

Magic, let's hope this is the trend from now on!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

A few more losses might be the best thing that could happen to the Kangaroos, if it fires up the national pride again. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A few more losses might be the best thing that could happen to the Kangaroos, if it fires up the national pride again. 

That would do them more good than being the condescending sore winners we have to put up with at the moment!

I think if these Pacific tests can be built on with extra games between these nations and maybe including games against New Zealand during the season then representing these nations may be more attractive for the players

Exactly but what do you reckon the chances are of NRL clubs letting them play for their countries and Wayne B has helped this to be the norm this week! :(:cry::nono:

Following on from Joey Leulia telling City-Country to do one when they tried to pick him over Samoa,

...... and yet he didn't mind being selected for the Kiwis 4N train-on squad back in 2010. Nor did he object to being 19th man for NSW in 2012 Origin. Another one who sees nationality as a flexible, evolving concept.

...... and yet he didn't mind being selected for the Kiwis 4N train-on squad back in 2010. Nor did he object to being 19th man for NSW in 2012 Origin. Another one who sees nationality as a flexible, evolving concept.

Perhaps he got some bad advice then. How many tests had Samoa played by 2010 and he would have been 19 at the time? Leilua is one player who genuinely could play Origin and it was a big call to tell them to do one last year.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/newcastle-knights-star-joseph-leilua-chooses-samoa-over-chance-to-push-origin-claims-20150428-1mvffb.html

Hull's Manu and Pritchard confirmed to be returning down under for Pacific Test. That is a huge boost for the game. This change in status is slowly getting momentum.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Hull-FC-Frank-Pritchard-Sika-Manu-return/story-29203653-detail/story.html

Absolutely.

They'll be a big miss from our squad for the RL Cup game at Saints but Hull FC have given them their blessing to go so that can only be good for future club-player relationships, one would hope. As the article says, Manu and Pritchard are the captains of their respective countries so it would have been rather awkward and unfair to prevent them from going.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Absolutely.

They'll be a big miss from our squad for the RL Cup game at Saints but Hull FC have given them their blessing to go so that can only be good for future club-player relationships, one would hope. As the article says, Manu and Pritchard are the captains of their respective countries so it would have been rather awkward and unfair to prevent them from going.

It was probably part of the contract for both players. Hull will great some great service from these two guys over the next few years. Manu in particular is massively underrated. He is a great player and flies under the radar a little.

I don't think Manu was underrated. Penrith had so many young guys coming through that someone had to go. If you've watched Campbell-Gillard, Fisher-Harris and Leilani Latu this year they all look quality and Campbell-Gillard is the oldest and he's only 22.

On top of that the Panthers 20s have won 8/9 this year and they put on 74pts today so they've got more players coming through. Panthers could have 8 or more players in the Junior Roos/Kiwis game next week.

Pleased that Hull have done this. Not sure what was written in contracts etc, but it's a pretty selfless act by the club with such an important cup game to play. Hopefully other clubs will follow suit should a similar situation arise.

I guess Ellis coming back (hopefully Minichiello too) softens the blow a bit.

Pleased that Hull have done this. Not sure what was written in contracts etc, but it's a pretty selfless act by the club with such an important cup game to play. Hopefully other clubs will follow suit should a similar situation arise.

I guess Ellis coming back (hopefully Minichiello too) softens the blow a bit.

Yes, it hits Hull FC's chances v St Helens, but it is the right thing to do if we are to pay more than just lip service to the international game.

And we can't criticise the NRL clubs for not releasing players if our clubs are prepared to do the same.

Anyway, Hull are looking confident and dangerous right now and, as MZH said, they may have quality replacements back for that round as well.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is offset by players such as Aquila uate and Ali koroisau knocking back Fiji in order to have a rest and concentrate on their club form. Will also be interesting to see if Fijians waqa Blake and Reagan Campbell Gillard from Penrith choose the meaningless city country game or play in the test match for Fiji.

Yes, it hits Hull FC's chances v St Helens, but it is the right thing to do if we are to pay more than just lip service to the international game.

And we can't criticise the NRL clubs for not releasing players if our clubs are prepared to do the same.

Anyway, Hull are looking confident and dangerous right now and, as MZH said, they may have quality replacements back for that round as well.

If players are called up they have to be released

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

If players are called up they have to be released

Not sure about that mate, this line from the Dull Daily Wail report would suggest otherwise.

"Mahe Fonua has been allowed to miss the game and will not represent Tonga,"

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Archived