Gary Lineker

Really? If showing a bit of common humanity can destroy someone's career these days, this country really is knackered beyond all hope.

I didn't mean it like that, I think the way people are obsessing about the age of the refugees is beyond a disgrace.

As the objective is to ensure the resettlement of the most vulnerable and needy young children who have family connections in the UK, I think people were expecting to see what we'd normally expect as children, when in fact all we have seen people who look like young adults, even though they are technically children - i.e under the age of 18. Don't seem to have been many females or many younger children.  

For the record, I don't think the coverage i have seen has been racist or heartless. certainly not on the radio or TV. Indeed, BBC News has focussed heavily on the plight of these refugees and the actions taken by various charities working in conjunction with the govt.Can't  speak for the Sun as it something I'm not familiar with.

As the objective is to ensure the resettlement of the most vulnerable and needy young children who have family connections in the UK, I think people were expecting to see what we'd normally expect as children, when in fact all we have seen people who look like young adults, even though they are technically children - i.e under the age of 18. Don't seem to have been many females or many younger children. 

I agree.

I am not averse to the idea of ensuring those people we give a home to are what they are supposed to be: children, and children who already have family in this country.  It makes perfect sense to ascertain that the young people making this claim are legitimate.  Offering asylum/refuge to anyone else is another matter.  In relation to this group, they were supposed to be vulnerable, supposed to be children and supposed to be related to people already here.  It is right that the government ensures they are all of those things.

When this story broke, medical experts said that dental and other checks were not reliable enough to ensure the exact age of people. But, as Michael Gove assures us, this country has had quite enough of experts.

The TACT charity claimed that the older-looking man in the photos was a translator accompanying the refugees. The Mail claims that's a lie.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wouldn't disagree, be interesting to hear why these were choosen, because the cynic in me almost thinks its been orchestrated to make sure we only take these in and find excuses, driven by right wing rags and raving loons not to have any more.

As for Lineker, I hope The Sun doesn't have a detrimental effect on his career, surely by now we've learn't to ignore the useless rag.

It's not the first time a celebrity would have got into hot water over comments on social issues. I remember Tony Blackburn getting sacked for telling the miners to get back to work in 1973 or so.

I'm afraid being a presenter on an allegedly impartial broadcaster like the BBC means you can't air your personal views.

Hmmm. Jeremy Clarkson got away with it for years. He only got the push from the Beeb because he lamped a colleague, not for airing his personal and political views all over the place.

When did he make political points?

(He could well have done, I don't follow him or Top Gear)

NB controversial is not necessarily the same as political.

Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson calls Gordon Brown 'a one-eyed idiot'
Jeremy Clarkson, the Top Gear presenter, branded Gordon Brown a "one-eyed Scottish idiot" as he prepares for a tour in Australia.

Fair enough but that doesn't make it right either. He should have been told to button it.

This is all Lineker wrote on his personal Twitter feed, to spark the faux 'outrage' from The Sun and elsewhere.

'The treatment by some towards these young refugees is hideously racist and utterly heartless. What's happening to our country?'

If you look at some of the responses to that tweet, they have basically proved him absolutely correct.

Chris Packham hasn't been fired either despite his anti-hunting views that have enraged the fox-slaughterers.

He's a football presenter for God's sake. He's entitled to personal opinions on twitter or whatever - if he said it on MoTD I'd have some sympathy for the people criticising him.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

This is all Lineker wrote on his personal Twitter feed, to spark the faux 'outrage' from The Sun and elsewhere.

'The treatment by some towards these young refugees is hideously racist and utterly heartless. What's happening to our country?'

If you look at some of the responses to that tweet, they have basically proved him absolutely correct.

Like the audience on Question Time last night who booed a Polish woman for saying that she felt unwanted in this country.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Well she's clearly in the minority as Poles are long established in this country and get by fine. Why present it as if she's the norm?

You know more than a Polish person about how Polish people feel?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Well she's clearly in the minority as Poles are long established in this country and get by fine. Why present it as if she's the norm?

Nobody "presented" anything. She just said it was how she felt and people booed.

He also didn't just query peoples opinions, he basically called everyone racist who didn't share his views.

No he didn't - read what he said.

The BBC is a publicly funded body that should be strictly impartial. This includes, possibly moreso, its most popular presenters.

What about Michael "Choo Choo" Portillo? No more BBC funded train journeys?

he basically called everyone racist who didn't share his views. 

No, he absolutely did not do that.

He referred to 'some' people, who had expressed what he regards to be racist views.

Everyone isn't racist. It doesn't mean no one is racist, or that those who clearly are shouldn't be called out for it any longer.

Just look at some of those knuckle-draggers who stood in the Batley & Spen by-election, as an example of 'some' people with racist views feeling embolded to have crawled out from under their stones in the present climate. And 'some' people voted for them too.

Most people didn't. In that regard, some hope remains.

Chris Packham hasn't been fired either despite his anti-hunting views that have enraged the fox-slaughterers.

To balance out Chris Packham, the BBC also showed several series of 'Clarissa & the Countryman', featuring two presenters who were overtly and proudly pro-bloodsports.

Balance infuriates the extremists (on both sides) far more than bias, it seems.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

To balance out Chris Packham, the BBC also showed several series of 'Clarissa & the Countryman', featuring two presenters who were overtly and proudly pro-bloodsports.

Balance infuriates the extremists (on both sides) far more than bias, it seems.

Indeed, they said it in the actual programmes - they referred to the "fluffy bunny brigade" quite regularly. 

Fleet Street Fox, one of her best in a while: Gary Lineker was right - this is the REAL lie peddled about migrants

Last time high-profile people were labelled "politicals" and told to keep their noses out, it was 1960s Cambodia and everyone in spectacles was slaughtered in the Killing Fields.

The time before that it was 1950s America and we called it McCarthyism. Before that it was a Munich beer hall. And before that it became a gulag.

Every time that money's tight and fear is high, someone gets the blame. It's Jews, or Catholics, or Communists, and it's always outsiders that are treated like an errant sub-species so someone else feels better..."

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

The banality of evil.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Fleet Street Fox, one of her best in a while: Gary Lineker was right - this is the REAL lie peddled about migrants

Last time high-profile people were labelled "politicals" and told to keep their noses out, it was 1960s Cambodia and everyone in spectacles was slaughtered in the Killing Fields.

The time before that it was 1950s America and we called it McCarthyism. Before that it was a Munich beer hall. And before that it became a gulag.

Every time that money's tight and fear is high, someone gets the blame. It's Jews, or Catholics, or Communists, and it's always outsiders that are treated like an errant sub-species so someone else feels better..."

Late 70s, I think.

You're absolutely correct John. But I'm absolutely fed up of having my morals questioned every time I don't agree with some ######.

Its just a pity this balanced thinking doesn't extend to people who voted brexit. Then you're automatically a far right extremist.

John you have a knack of takint this stance in many of these debates. There is a nasty undercurrent from some - that is unquestionable - nobody, ever, and I mean, ever, calls everyone racist, so why do you think they are calling you personally that?

I agree with JohnM on this one, i think the BBCs and Sky's coverage has been balanced, but there has undoubtedly been racist views spouted which is all Lineker said - by getting outraged about that statemenr, you are lumping yourself in with that group - which I certainly dont believe of you from what I know of you.

Lineker is 100% correct and is entirled to his view. He did not call everyone racist.

Dave, sorry but the reality is that now, if you say you voted brexit, then you are instantly branded a right wing little Englander. That's the way it is now. Reasons for voting against the bloated corrupt EU are irrelevant.

I also don't need it pointing out that there are racists willing to gain leverage out of any situation. I don't need Gary Lineker pointing out the obvious thanks. I also have my own opinion. I can make my own judgements and will do so. I won't be brainwashed by celebs in tears taking 5 minutes off from doing a line.

And I aren't 'lumping myself in with anyone'. I'm saying what I see, ie not children. If the KKK see the same thing, that's unfortunate but I aren't going to lie.

Lineker is giving his opinion. You are the one linking you to his opinion.

Archived