Willie Mason signs for Superleague side.

Taxi drivers are sometimes a measure of the hot sporting topics of the day. In Bridlington where many drivers originate from Hull, and support Rervers or the Airlie Birds it is THE sporting topic in the taxi. Way ahead of Wayne Rooney, the Pakistan cricket turmoil or the European Football Championships. And on the BBC's Look North, which is usually about Lincolnshire farmers or narrow lanes south of the Humber, it has attracted attention. So some positive PR at least. :D

Edited by Cliff Spracklen

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taxi drivers are sometimes a measure of the hot sporting topics of the day. In Bridlington where many drivers originate from Hull, and support Rervers or the Airlie Birds it is THE sporting topic in the taxi. Way ahead of Wayne Rooney, the Pakistan cricket turmoil or the European Football Championships. And on the BBC's Look North, which is usually about Lincolnshire farmers or narrow lanes south of the Humber, it has attracted attention. So some positive PR at least. :D

I still think you should move up the road to Bempton Cliff.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I still think you should move up the road to Bempton Cliff.

Boooooo!

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Obviously it depends on where you're hiring the taxi. I don't suppose it's the talk of the Bicester taxi ranks regardless of what some Rervers fans think. I usually go by the national newspapers Cliff which will be all about the Euro qualifiers tomorrow with only a couple of inches of Willie if you're lucky ;)

Edited by deluded pom?

rldfsignature.jpg

only a couple of inches of Willie if you're lucky ;)

I read that and "amh" suddenly appeared in the users reading this thread...

I await her comment with interest...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

I read that and "amh" suddenly appeared in the users reading this thread...

I await her comment with interest...

stalker....or maybe not in Masons case..well he will find it cowd

Edited by amh

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

She's left now. Probably gone all shy. ;)

ha ha I'm in and out quicker than......

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

ha ha I'm in and out quicker than......

..Lee?.... :unsure::ph34r:

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

..Lee?.... :unsure::ph34r:

Er no.. :blush:

Er no.. :blush:

Well, you did leave that option open.... :ph34r:

Too good a shot to miss. ;)

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

This is the first time Rovers have gone for an overseas player aged 30 or over, so on that side of things the club must be happy with wht they are going to get on the field from him. He could bring something that we really miss, the size and ability to brea a tackle and offload.

Off the field he should certainly bring in publicity (hopefully mainly good) and he may also put a few bums on seats which is very important.

The biggest concern that I have is does he have any problems on his record that will stop him getting a visa to play, a la Crocker.

Leaving alone the issue that Johns was only a loan signing anyway...of course for any Rugby League connoisseur, is a much higher quality/profile signing.

However, sadly his face isn't instantly recognisible to even many RL fans in this country, nevermind those with a passive interest.

The difference is that Mason is subliminally remembered by almost anyone with a casual interest in RL because of his menacing, iconic appearance and devastating KO of Fielden four years ago which received enormous, terrestrial exposure (by RL standards) at the time!

Sadly, to a casual viewer, those sort of incidents get spoken about in the pub more...get more Youtube hits...and ultimately live longer in the memory than any great try or distinguished career even!

For example, I well remember a young Argentine called Mendez flooring an England RU player called Ackford many years ago at Twickenham but could tell you nothing about their respective careers before or since!

Like I say, I am equally divided on whether Mason will be a sensation or a flop...either way it will be interesting!

His signing will be good for Super League in general and not just Hull KR.

I would question how widely known Mason is outside rl circles. I certainly doubt that most viewers of QofS would recognise him.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Obviously it depends on where you're hiring the taxi. I don't suppose it's the talk of the Bicester taxi ranks regardless of what some Rervers fans think. I usually go by the national newspapers Cliff which will be all about the Euro qualifiers tomorrow with only a couple of inches of Willie if you're lucky ;)

I accept that and sympathise but Willie could be made into a bigger story with a higher and wider profile. :rolleyes: Will have to get on to Bramley Buffaloes Director Rob Wilkinson, creator of famous straplines like !"Amber and Black Fighting Back," and " You'll Buffalove It" recently appointed to work for John Ledger in the RFL Press department. Here in Brid whilst the taxi drivers are obviously fired up for the play-offs this week, the Rervers amongst them are already talking about next season as a result of big Willie. As a result I could be organising a Rervers Taxi Drivers trip to Perpignan next year. Not by taxi of course. Oh I don't know. If we did we could bring back some of the beers from the Cap d'Ona brewery at Argeles-Alberes, not too far away. The only Catalan beer. They have some beauts! :D

I would question how widely known Mason is outside rl circles. I certainly doubt that most viewers of QofS would recognise him.

Well...tell me one current Rugby League player who IS recognised outside of RL circles?

Certainly not superstars like Darren Lockyer, Jonathan Thurston, Benji Marshall etc that's for sure - more is the pity!

But, ask someone with a remotely passive interest in RL if they remember "that big, intimidating Aussie who knocked out Fielden with one punch about four years ago" and it's a fair bet they will remember him.

Evidence for this is that Mason's fights with Fielden and Peacock have garnered over one million views on Youtube alone - a staggering amount for Rugby League!

Righltly or wrongly, there is a fascination with him - his is as near to RL 'Box Office' as you will get!

I am looking forward to reading the local Hull newspaper headlines sometime in April or May.

"Drunken Rovers players in brawl outside London disco!"

"Rovers star, former teetotaller, arrested for DUI."

"Rovers player was intoxicated while fondling stripper at nightclub."

2011 should be a fun year in East Hull.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

The headllines in the Australian tabloid newspapers next May will be:

"BIG WILLY PAINTS ENGLAND RED.

Hull coach Morgan frustrated with team discipline since Mason arrived"

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

I am looking forward to reading the local Hull newspaper headlines sometime in April or May.

"Drunken Rovers players in brawl outside London disco!"

"Rovers star, former teetotaller, arrested for DUI."

"Rovers player was intoxicated while fondling stripper at nightclub."

2011 should be a fun year in East Hull.

You are a fool

Well...tell me one current Rugby League player who IS recognised outside of RL circles?

Certainly not superstars like Darren Lockyer, Jonathan Thurston, Benji Marshall etc that's for sure - more is the pity!

But, ask someone with a remotely passive interest in RL if they remember "that big, intimidating Aussie who knocked out Fielden with one punch about four years ago" and it's a fair bet they will remember him.

Evidence for this is that Mason's fights with Fielden and Peacock have garnered over one million views on Youtube alone - a staggering amount for Rugby League!

Righltly or wrongly, there is a fascination with him - his is as near to RL 'Box Office' as you will get!

They MAY remember the incident but you can bet your bottom dollar they couldn't recognise him in a line up or put a name to him.

rldfsignature.jpg

You are a fool

I am a Sydney Roosters fan. So I know what I am talking about. The first thing that strict disciplinarian coach Brian Smith demanded before he arrived at Bondi Junction was that the club get rid of Willy Mason.

If you really want to know what Willy Mason is like off the pitch, have a chat with the Roosters Brad Fittler, Mitchell Pearce or Nate Myles, or the former Canterbury Bulldogs team members who travelled to an ill fated weekend at Coffs Harbour a few years ago, before you start your ignorant abuse of others about Willy Mason.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____