New Leeds coach?

There is a rumour on Twitter that Leeds Rhinos are set to appoint a new coach.

Take a look at @LondonFaithful's Tweet: https://twitter.com/LondonFaithful/status/737025149044723712?s=09 rumour can North Queensland Cowboys confirm that David Furner is leaving to join Leeds Rhinos as head coach?

Will be shabby treatment for Brian McDermott if this is the case. I feel that his achievements for the club should mean that he has an opportunity to walk away at a time of his choosing.

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Even the staunchest Brian McDermott ally would suggest his time has already run out I reckon. Treble winners to failing to qualify for the top eights, as it looks like, surely means it's time for him to depart. His last two post match interviews on Sky have shown him as a man who looks lost.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Even the staunchest Brian McDermott ally would suggest his time has already run out I reckon. Treble winners to failing to qualify for the top eights, as it looks like, surely means it's time for him to depart. His last two post match interviews on Sky have shown him as a man who looks lost.

Not sure that the problem is the coach.

As Martyr Sadler pointed out the players didn't take a blind bit of notice of what Mcguire was saying to them under the posts. They certainly listened to Sinfield and Peacock.

Have the team lost respect and fallen out with each other - that's hard for a coach to fix.

MMM I guess we will wait and see but is an odd thing to do right now - would wait to the end of the season the sell Hardaker down under, clear out the pack and say good bye to the coach - move on

Lilley is pants no matter what the sky pundits are trying to tell us

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Not sure that the problem is the coach.

As Martyr Sadler pointed out the players didn't take a blind bit of notice of what Mcguire was saying to them under the posts.

They listened to Sinfield and Peacock.

I hear this again and again that Sinfield and Peacock were the guys who ran and motivated the team once on the pitch. I think Danny Lockwood comments that Mac isn't great at motivation, the analysis being based on his outlook on these things as a ex-royal marine.

So your post seems ambiguous with respect. If Peacock and Sinfield had to provide motivation because Macs approach wasn't effective, then it is the coach.

I'm sure the club will afford him the chance to leave with some dignity at the end of the season, but the club probably have to sound a new coach out now if they want the best available.

I hear this again and again that Sinfield and Peacock were the guys who ran and motivated the team once on the pitch. I think Danny Lockwood comments that Mac isn't great at motivation, the analysis being based on his outlook on these things as a ex-royal marine.

So your post seems ambiguous with respect. If Peacock and Sinfield had to provide motivation because Macs approach wasn't effective, then it is the coach.

I'm sure the club will afford him the chance to leave with some dignity at the end of the season, but the club probably have to sound a new coach out now if they want the best available.

Certainly the withdrawal of Sinfield from the team early last season had a dire effect on results, it was only when he was restored to the team that the winning run started. Presumably Kev felt he had something to prove (he didn't to me)  Here's a thought, perhaps he should be the new coach.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Although all the talk has been about the present coach, quite rightly, who could they get at this moment in time who could make a difference?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Although all the talk has been about the present coach, quite rightly, who could they get at this moment in time who could make a difference?

Darryl Powell, he made an immediate difference at Cas

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Trojan, on 31 May 2016 - 5:31 PM, said:

Darryl Powell, he made an immediate difference at Cas

Why would he go back? apart from being a lot more experienced now I don't think he was given enough time originally by G H first time

If you like old type radio comedy/drama's etc listen to http://pumpkinfm.com/

Why would he go back? apart from being a lot more experienced now I don't think he was given enough time originally by G H first time

GH rated him although he was under a lot of fan pressure IIRC (Terry??) and let him go on the best terms he could on an understanding that he hoped with more experience Powell would come back in future years a far far better coach.

He has done that but signed a long deal with Cas recently, so one can only assume he has too much pride to go back to Leeds?

GH rated him although he was under a lot of fan pressure IIRC (Terry??) and let him go on the best terms he could on an understanding that he hoped with more experience Powell would come back in future years a far far better coach.

He has done that but signed a long deal with Cas recently, so one can only assume he has too much pride to go back to Leeds?

Cash can buy a lot of pride.  Best British coach by a country mile IMO

Clement Attlee.

Sadly for McDermott i think your right

Cash can buy a lot of pride.  Best British coach by a country mile IMO

It would take a big offer from Leeds for Castleford to let Daryl Powell go and after the way he was treated before would Powell want to go back?

Powell would be daft to go to Leeds. He's doing a fine job at Cas, though his gob might yet get him in trouble.

Why would that be John?

Getting the best out of a cash strapped club, and getting the best out of players and spotting good players on the up are talents that give him respect as a great coach.

He progressed his career from success at Rovers, going to cas, wether it's money or ambition he wants/he has Leeds cannot be a poisoned chalice just because Brian McDermott's abilities as a coach and man manager have seemingly been badly exposed by the departure of the pack leader and on field general??

If Leeds paid Powell and Cas enough now to prize him away all Powell has to do is keep them from relegation to become a returning hero, if the lad can't manage that he's worth nowt.

Longer term if his Cas players are dedicated to him why can't he work with Hetherington to bring a few Cas lads over to Leeds, they are already chasing Gale hard and let's face it would Powell be enjoying the same acclaim without Gale??

Surely Powell and Gale will be having a private chat out of reach of Steve Gill??

I just think he's a perfect fit at Cas. Right man in the right place at the right time. Why exchange a set of people, players and problems you know all about for a set of people, players and problems you know little about?

I just think he's a perfect fit at Cas. Right man in the right place at the right time. Why exchange a set of people, players and problems you know all about for a set of people, players and problems you know little about?

Fair enough John but I think you doubt his ambition and bottle, plus his ability to be able to analyse the problems at a club, and the solutions necessary??

For me it's a golden chance for the lad.......

Lilley is pants no matter what the sky pundits are trying to tell us

absolutely spot on, ive been saying this all season, the hype about this kid is ridiculous, Schoey even had him as scrum half for England ffs we had him at Hunslet on DR for a couple of games and he was average without being spectacular.Hes a decent goalkicker that's about all at this stage of his career - theres a kid at Toulouse Jonathan Ford whose different gravy to Lilley and every other half back in both Championship Leagues.

let's face it would Powell be enjoying the same acclaim without Gale??

Probably but I doubt Gale would be enjoying the same acclaim without Powell.

Powell almost won the league with Sneyd and Finn as halfbacks before Gale and won plenty of acclaim. Gale acheived very little before joining Cas/Powell his improvement (which could be argued was similar to Sneyds) has been staggering under Powell.

absolutely spot on, ive been saying this all season, the hype about this kid is ridiculous, Schoey even had him as scrum half for England ffs we had him at Hunslet on DR for a couple of games and he was average without being spectacular.Hes a decent goalkicker that's about all at this stage of his career - theres a kid at Toulouse Jonathan Ford whose different gravy to Lilley and every other half back in both Championship Leagues.

Ford is not that young and is playing in the third tier of European Rugby League.

Lilley is still very young and trying to cut it at 2 leagues higher.

On the wider issue re Powell/Leeds. I suppose it will boil down to a few things:

Is he the man Leeds want?

Does he want to return based on previous at the club? Does he foster ill - will towards Leeds/GH?

Are there things he wants to achieve at Cas before moving on and does he feel they are achievable? (Agreeing a 5 year deal would suggest so).

Money - always a factor

Players/squad - he has built a squad and no doubt has alot of loyalty to his players. Does he want to build a new squad elsewhere?

I wouldn't like to guess the outcome if Leeds did make a play. One thing I would say us that Powell was at Featherstone for 5 years, I'd be suprised if Cas were the 1st club who made him an offer in that time, assuming they did, I would guess he just didn't feel ready to move on and wasn't easily persuaded. I hope the same applies to Cas at present.

Fair enough John but I think you doubt his ambition and bottle, plus his ability to be able to analyse the problems at a club, and the solutions necessary??

For me it's a golden chance for the lad.......

Certainly the case if he is that ambitious. Maybe he is, but who knows? If he is then yes he could take the risk. Just wondering if he should take it though.

Archived