Food and drink thread

Got ourselves an Halogen oven, brilliant.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Looking for a good supplier for some Reindeer steaks,can anyone help?

I had some reindeer chorizo recently. Intense!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looking for a good supplier for some Reindeer steaks,can anyone help?

Surprisingly Lidl.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2232411/Discount-supermarket-Lidl-branded-tasteless-angry-parents-selling-REINDEER-steaks-run-Christmas.html

Lidl is selling frozen Siberian reindeer leg steaks under its deluxe luxury brand at £7.99 for 350g, promoting them as 'tasty steaks, exceptionally lean low-fat meal with a lovely natural flavour.'

No idea of quality but do keep an eye out myself for the offers in Lidl. For instance i was not too keen on the Moose Leg Steaks last year but loved the Ostrich Steaks before that but the Ostrich has not been repeated, if it ever does I will be stocking up.

Surprisingly Lidl.

http://www.dailymail...-Christmas.html

No idea of quality but do keep an eye out myself for the offers in Lidl. For instance i was not too keen on the Moose Leg Steaks last year but loved the Ostrich Steaks before that but the Ostrich has not been repeated, if it ever does I will be stocking up.

none of them near us have any.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

none of them near us have any.

Was about 10-15 in the freezer at approx 3:00pm this afternoon in their Mirfield store as i checked when picking Nephew up from school. Chances are this will not help you but shows there are still some in some of their stores for other users.

One thing i did spot in their frozen section was full Goose, down to £17.99, down from £19.99 for anyone wanting an alternative to Turkey this Christmas. Do recommend myself.

Edited by Li0nhead

Just a little sidetrack (though the thread is Food and Drink), but I've discovered the joys of Morrison's beer aisle. Loads of different beers for £1.89 per 500ml bottle, on offer at £5.00 for any 4, mix and match. It's brilliant. Some really tasty beers. After 14 years of tasteless Amstel, this is heaven. My favourite so far is Black Sheep, (their Riggwelter is nice, but a bit strong for me these days), but I do like the offerings of Wychwood, too.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Talking of beers, the 'rum cask' version of Innis & Gunn's already excellent beer is something special.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ikea stock moose lasagne.

As far as pre-made lasagne goes, the Heston Blumenthal one in Waitrose is seriously good.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

As far as pre-made lasagne goes, the Heston Blumenthal one in Waitrose is seriously good.

There may, may, be a story of me driving at 7.15am on a Saturday morning in October from Wyke to the Waitrose in Otley in order to buy 6 of the Heston ready meals.

Hmm, it seems I've missed one... *sigh*

The themed answer to a clue in a Guardian crossword this week was Key Lime Pie. I'd never heard of it, but I'm going to buy one from Morrisons this week.

Never heard of Key Lime Pie? I knew you Yorkies were a sheltered bunch but come on. :P

Fides invicta triumphat

Never heard of Key Lime Pie? I knew you Yorkies were a sheltered bunch but come on. :P

I'd never actually eaten lime until I was about forty when I went to Spain and the bar staff put slices of it in the necks of bottles of Coronita.

I still think its the best way to have it.

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Just a little sidetrack (though the thread is Food and Drink), but I've discovered the joys of Morrison's beer aisle. Loads of different beers for £1.89 per 500ml bottle, on offer at £5.00 for any 4, mix and match. It's brilliant. Some really tasty beers. After 14 years of tasteless Amstel, this is heaven. My favourite so far is Black Sheep, (their Riggwelter is nice, but a bit strong for me these days), but I do like the offerings of Wychwood, too.

Get yerself to Booths - they currently have Jennings Cocker Hoop (IMO one of Jennings best beers) at £1 per bottle.

Also at £1 are - Lighthouse from Adnams Brewery plus Adnams lower alcohol bitter at 2.8% (less duty). Also Jennings Bitter, Banks Bitter, Marstons Double Drop, Master Brew Kentish Ale and Thwaite's Thorougbred Gold. Holts Manchester Ale is £1.09 per bottle.

I know we are in a food & drink section, but I thought i'd bring home the bad side of Christmas and drink driving.

I saw this campaign today on my Twitter feed and thought i'd share some of the scary facts with you.

See: http://www.drink-driving-limit.co.uk/

What do you think? What scares you the most?

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

I know we are in a food & drink section, but I thought i'd bring home the bad side of Christmas and drink driving.

I saw this campaign today on my Twitter feed and thought i'd share some of the scary facts with you.

See: http://www.drink-driving-limit.co.uk/

What do you think? What scares you the most?

I'm quite scared by the way those statistics are presented. Presumably, they were produced by a reputable organisation, but some are skewed badly. By choosing arbitrary age ranges, they are able to show that the 25-59 year olds caused 2230 casualties, but the 16-24 year olds only caused 1350. How many people fall into the 25-59 range compared to the 16-24 range? How many people in the 16-24 range don't actually drive? How many over 60s drive as a proportion of the population. Sorry, but this is sloppy maths! 3 out of 10, must do better if they want to be taken seriously.

I've no argument with the basic message that drinking and driving is dangerous and wrong.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

I'm quite scared by the way those statistics are presented. Presumably, they were produced by a reputable organisation, but some are skewed badly. By choosing arbitrary age ranges, they are able to show that the 25-59 year olds caused 2230 casualties, but the 16-24 year olds only caused 1350. How many people fall into the 25-59 range compared to the 16-24 range? How many people in the 16-24 range don't actually drive? How many over 60s drive as a proportion of the population. Sorry, but this is sloppy maths! 3 out of 10, must do better if they want to be taken seriously.

I've no argument with the basic message that drinking and driving is dangerous and wrong.

Absolutely. Using sloppy stats has the danger of undermining the message.

Fides invicta triumphat

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried a square of chocolate with bhut jolokia chilli in it. Not as painful as expected, and actually quite tasty.

Ralph Waldo Emerson