Rugby League Journal

Blue Monkey

The latest issue of the Rugby League Journal has an excellent double page feature concerning how the Lions may have benefitted from an unexpected 'Papal blessing' when they took to the Old Trafford pitch in 1987 against Hunslet for the Div. 2 trophy.

Pictured are then club official Steve Moyse, skipper Les Holliday with the trophy, an '80s players/officials group plus legends Albert Blan and Bob Fleet with the Championship trophy in more recent times.

On another page under the heading 'Unsung Heroes', one such 'hero' is our very own '50s/'60s hardman George Parkinson with a picture of 'Parky' touching down for a try. On the page opposite there's a full page devoted to big-hearted Peter Smethurst, former Lion and a club coach who sadly passed away far too soon.

My copy comes by dog sled and there's not much snow at this time of year so it will be slow to get here.... ;)

Ah well! there you have it, Egremont is less than 100 miles as-the-crow-flies away.

George Parkinson was my all-time favorite player. (Excuse the American spelling, Keith!)

It's no coincidence that I picked #6 and #13 to sponsor as a fan!!

One of my now slightly faded memories was the match against Wakefield Trinity when I seem to remember the Lions wrapping up their first or second Championship. George Parkinson played like a man possessed, and drove into the Wakefield tacklers time and time again.

Bearing in mind another current post, is it a coincidence or karma that the Lions are on an undefeated run while their run to their previous Championship is in the news?

I vote for karma!

lionsfanusa.gif

Archived