Swinton Match

Supporter

No squad news yet, but you don't need a crystal ball to predict:

Probables: Two Hookers, One Full Back, One Centre, Two Wingers, Seven or Eight Forwards, Two Half Backs ( 15 or 16 fit players).

Half Jarrod Sammut

F Kris Coward

W Dec Hulme

C Jason Mossop

F Marc Shackley

F Liam McAvoy

F Tom Walker

Hooker Jamie Doran

Half Carl Forber

FB Jack Murphy

Hooker/ F Karl Olstrum

W Tee Ritson

F Steve Scholey

F Ryan Verlinden

F Oliver Gordon

F Alex Szostak ?

(plus one other?)

ANO?

ANO?

Let's hope Callum makes the squad, at least we have an extra day this week to patch up our brave lads!

News and Star comment by Marc Shackley:

“I think Callum [Phillips] went to hospital with his ankle injury but there seems to be no break and it’s just badly bruised and swollen.

“Matty [Gee] had a problem with his ribs, so we will just have to see how they both are looking at the weekend...".

Referee: C Straw

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No squad news yet, but you don't need a crystal ball to predict:

Probables: Two Hookers, One Full Back, One Centre, Two Wingers, Seven or Eight Forwards, Two Half Backs ( 15 or 16 fit players).

Half Jarrod Sammut

F Kris Coward

W Dec Hulme

C Jason Mossop

F Marc Shackley

F Liam McAvoy

F Tom Walker

Hooker Jamie Doran

Half Carl Forber

FB Jack Murphy

Hooker/ F Karl Olstrum

W Tee Ritson

F Steve Scholey

F Ryan Verlinden

F Oliver Gordon

F Alex Szostak ?

(plus one other?)

ANO?

ANO?

Let's hope Callum makes the squad, at least we have an extra day this week to patch up our brave lads!

Referee: C Straw

would have been confident with the likes of the Phillips brothers, matty, stack ,matty gee available. Hope i'm wrong but its gonna be tough with so many key players missing. 28-16

Well our squad contains brett phillips, matty gee, jp and alex who wont be playing and jase mossop must be a doubt.

The Official Squad for Monday:

Murphy, Hulme, Mossop, Forber, Doran, Coward, Shackley, B. Phillips, Olstrum, McAvoy, Szostak, Walker, Verlinden, Scholey, Gordon, Ritson, Gee, Patrick, Sammut.

The Official Squad for Sunday:

Murphy, Hulme, Mossop, Forber, Doran, Coward, Shackley, B. Phillips, Olstrum, McAvoy, Szostak, Walker, Verlinden, Scholey, Gordon, Ritson, Gee, Patrick, Sammut.

I take it some of these are being named to make a list of 19 but will not be playing.

You already know Brett, Matty & Patrick aren't going to make it so the forwards are going to have to play big minutes. -  PV has got to think about giving guys a blow during the game on the wing and drag Hulme & Mossop inside to do some work in the second row otherwise the lads will be blowing out of their ######. I watched the Sheffield v Swinton game and once they moved Atkin into the halves in the second half he ran the game. Good luck for Monday but as much as I hate to say this the lads are on a hiding to nothing.

You already know Brett, Matty & Patrick aren't going to make it so the forwards are going to have to play big minutes. -  PV has got to think about giving guys a blow during the game on the wing and drag Hulme & Mossop inside to do some work in the second row otherwise the lads will be blowing out of their ######. I watched the Sheffield v Swinton game and once they moved Atkin into the halves in the second half he ran the game. Good luck for Monday but as much as I hate to say this the lads are on a hiding to nothing.

Dragging Declan and Jason onto the pitch will be an achievement in itself without asking them to double up as second rowers. The whole squad is busted up and all we can do now is limp over the finishing line. Apart from the lamentable recruitment over the last two seasons the pathetic situation regarding our collapsed dual reg with Wigan has cost us dear. The jam beat us because they could call on Widnes for reinforcements while we struggled to put a side out.  Shambolic is the only word that sums up our season. 

Nice honest comment from our Coach:

“We’re a little bit restricted in our team selections. We’re pretty much buckled with injuries at the moment. I’ve only got one centre, one winger and no second rowers who are all out injured. But the boys haven’t given up, they’ve got the determination and the bit between the teeth. They’ll dig deep and have a shot and see how far they can go and see if they can stay in this division.”

its all been said on here before as to why we are in this position , even before the season kicked off , we all felt uneasy on how the season would play out . the boys have done a good job this season with the constant injuries , looks like another game with a bench in name only , but don t forget we have given a few teams a game with only one fit player on the bench this season , so you never know.  

its all been said on here before as to why we are in this position , even before the season kicked off , we all felt uneasy on how the season would play out . the boys have done a good job this season with the constant injuries , looks like another game with a bench in name only , but don t forget we have given a few teams a game with only one fit player on the bench this season , so you never know.  

the game would have been won last week if callum wasnt so unlucky to have picked up an injury , the moment he left the field you could see haven lift and town lost their forward momentum , simply replacing him with jamie wasnt enough to hold on to what was a very positive start , when things were looking a bit worrying at half time then maybe there should have been some sort of plan B , there are very limited options with so many injuries and lack of like for like numbers on the bench so maybe like the one wonderofwood suggested before the match could be an option ? , switching jack to centre and mossop to wing and tee at fb to add that spark and speed up the middle as the wings are never used to much effect and the battle is always around the rucks and one up predictable rugby , jack had another very good game but where he has more power tee has more step and speed and is very illusive and will win a fair amount of penalty's from high tackles etc .

the game would have been won last week if callum wasnt so unlucky to have picked up an injury , the moment he left the field you could see haven lift and town lost their forward momentum , simply replacing him with jamie wasnt enough to hold on to what was a very positive start , when things were looking a bit worrying at half time then maybe there should have been some sort of plan B , there are very limited options with so many injuries and lack of like for like numbers on the bench so maybe like the one wonderofwood suggested before the match could be an option ? , switching jack to centre and mossop to wing and tee at fb to add that spark and speed up the middle as the wings are never used to much effect and the battle is always around the rucks and one up predictable rugby , jack had another very good game but where he has more power tee has more step and speed and is very illusive and will win a fair amount of penalty's from high tackles etc .

I agree AN - what I have seen of Workington this year , Jack is great under a high ball and can defend really well ,but when he comes into the line ( the only move you have, apart from JS kicking for himself) he struggles to time a pass or commit anyone. I think Ritson would scare the living daylights out of a second rower or  halfback defending an edge and equally important create space on the outside . He attracts three plus defenders when hes getting hammered down the middle , time for him to get more involved when it matters. The lad is a 15 plus try scorer per year in this league ,and when he beefs up a bit he will definitely be on the radar of other clubs ( in fact I know a few SL clubs are already interested) . If he does play on the wing Id play him with Hulme and JS so he sees as much ball as possible

I agree AN - what I have seen of Workington this year , Jack is great under a high ball and can defend really well ,but when he comes into the line ( the only move you have, apart from JS kicking for himself) he struggles to time a pass or commit anyone. I think Ritson would scare the living daylights out of a second rower or  halfback defending an edge and equally important create space on the outside . He attracts three plus defenders when hes getting hammered down the middle , time for him to get more involved when it matters. The lad is a 15 plus try scorer per year in this league ,and when he beefs up a bit he will definitely be on the radar of other clubs ( in fact I know a few SL clubs are already interested) . If he does play on the wing Id play him with Hulme and JS so he sees as much ball as possible

I have watched  Tee's progress since his amateur days and through his introduction to the semi- pro game with a sense of anticipation. He has waited patiently for his chance and now that he has got the shirt he does exactly what I expected of him-but he is still a kid with potential still to be developed. Jack Murphy is a seasoned pro who does the full back gig very well and chimes in to good effect .This is not the time to get Tee "hammered down the middle"- we still have forwards for that job and at this point of the season he is best left out wide --Town are on a hiding to nothing and risking our best asset by exposing him to undue pressure is not an option. 

I have watched  Tee's progress since his amateur days and through his introduction to the semi- pro game with a sense of anticipation. He has waited patiently for his chance and now that he has got the shirt he does exactly what I expected of him-but he is still a kid with potential still to be developed. Jack Murphy is a seasoned pro who does the full back gig very well and chimes in to good effect .This is not the time to get Tee "hammered down the middle"- we still have forwards for that job and at this point of the season he is best left out wide --Town are on a hiding to nothing and risking our best asset by exposing him to undue pressure is not an option. 

Riston gets hammered "down the middle" every week and the fullback chiming into the line has rewarded the winger  with one try this year ? and at this stage of the season I suggest its worth risking everything ? 

Riston gets hammered "down the middle" every week and the fullback chiming into the line has rewarded the winger  with one try this year ? and at this stage of the season I suggest its worth risking everything ? 

Risking everything for what ? You are pretty opinionated for somebody who as far as I know has never been to a Town home game in your life . In fact I struggle to know just where your allegiances lie. My commitment to the Town cause has been unwavering for 6 decades and when I recognise an emerging talent like Tee Ritson I "suggest" that he shouldn't be sacrificed in pursuit of a lost cause. You do Jack Murphy an injustice -he has filled the no.1 shirt with distinction in a season undermined by management failings as have all the rest of the lads. Stick to your forte of forum surfing and leave the business of supporting Workington Town RLFC to those of us who actually care. 

1. He has been to town games

2. Tee is a great talent

3. Murphy is like James Milner, do u a job but no world beater and an expense town don't need when they have carter coming back next year.

Are you having a laugh? Murphy is a proper full back -- Brett was makeshift at best and he won't be at Town next year. The only point you have right is that Ritson is a prodigious talent and I don't need a Widnes/Warrington / who knows who he supports forum gypsy to tell me that. Or you for that matter.

Are you having a laugh? Murphy is a proper full back -- Brett was makeshift at best and he won't be at Town next year. The only point you have right is that Ritson is a prodigious talent and I don't need a Widnes/Warrington / who knows who he supports forum gypsy to tell me that. Or you for that matter.

Its you having a laugh Sandy.

Brett was a makeshift ? He was a superb full back for   years till he got pushed out on to the wing where he was nowhere near as effective.

Agree that he wont be here next year tho, and TBH he hasnt looked happy since he moved to the wing

Its you having a laugh Sandy.

Brett was a makeshift ? He was a superb full back for   years till he got pushed out on to the wing where he was nowhere near as effective.

Agree that he wont be here next year tho, and TBH he hasnt looked happy since he moved to the wing

Think you've got the rose tinted specs on marra -Brett was never comfortable under the high ball as the stats confirm. If he had a position it was centre and at a push stand off. Always fully commited to the Town cause though and I wish him well wherever he ends up. 

So if you have followed Tee's development for years you will know just how good he is at full back Sandy. So is he not wasted out on the wing?

Whatever your opinion is of it others have different thoughts, but what gives you the right to attack Wonder of wood because he may not be a Town fan? From what I read the lad knows and loves his rugby, that's good enough for me and I usually agree with him as he is usually bang on the money. I don't always agree though but isn't that what it's all about?

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Archived