Gareth Hewer

Michael Ashton

Fair appointment really Michael,the TV games he's done this year he's been pretty good,obviously impressed when the cameras havnt been there also,even when he's done Barrow over the years he's not been as poor as fans seem to make out,if you take your 'Barrow' glasses off he doesn't make that many bad calls,unfortunately like most refs he doesn't get as much help as he should from the liners.

I think the good people of Barrow have enjoyed the pantomime villan relationship with Hewer over the years and I'm sure he has loved playing that role, but it is nice to see a local bloke being chosen above the professional, superstar referees.  

I wish him well and hope the occasion doesn't go to his head and he plays a positive part in making the occasion a true spectacle being remembered for being a quality, competitive rugby match, if people forget who was the ref on the day then he played a blinder. 

hes a damn sight better than the dross we get in Champ 1

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Sorry. I wasn't making a comment about him as a referee merely stating it as a point of interest in view of the constant remarks from the popular side. Nice to see a Cumbrian.

He's refereed many games at our level as has Ben Thaler and (James Childs, I think that's his correct name). 

I personally like Ben Thaler best.

I too like Ben Thaler, he's the video ref.

Strange that Gareth as part time got this game and also strange that he had a number of games in Perpignan versus full time officials?

I'm sure the radio and TV commentators will mention Cumbria which cannot be bad, and of course it takes away any suggestion of geographical bias that refs always get accused of.

http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/referee_appointments

David Taylor

David Taylor

@750VFR

Archived