Do you like the Raiders?

Bearman

There is a thread on the main forum about the nicknames clubs are using and how some of them seem a bit dated now.

As this is the quiet time on the forum I just thought Id ask what people think of the Raiders "brand"

Do you like it?

If not why not?

What would you have instead?

For myself I've got used to it and am pretty ambivalent about it.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

certainly better than the braves monika we had for a while but I still refer to them as Barrow RL

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

No problem with keeping The Raiders name for me. If i can be critical at all, i would say The Raiders Logo may be due an update. That DOES look a bit dated in my opinion.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

Still don't really like all the nicknames - I'd still prefer Wire and Classy Cas to Wolves and Tigers, and Wigan will always just be Pies.

Raiders is better than Braves and we've go used to it but you can see by my name I prefer straightforward Barrow or Shipbuilders.

A few have died out now - remember Oldham Bears, Halifax Blue Sox and Hull Sharks

Shipbuilider01.png

The name is purely for marketing purposes  and appealing to the younger generation of fans who are, after all, the future "popular side" dwellers. I can't imagine us without the Raiders name now, in the same way i can't imagine Bradford without the Bulls or Keighley without the Cougars.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

We certainly like the Raider's as a name, and have no worries about the logo, after all to change thing's, would surely be very costly, which nobody want's or need's, but different people like different thing's, 

The Raiders is a big improvement on Braves and Border Raiders but it is, after all, only a nickname.  They are still Barrow to me. 

I worked briefly for Oldham Bears but it was a short-lived existence and they are now the Roughyeds again (whatever that is and I don't know any Oldham fan who ever shouts come on you Roughyeds!

The trouble with nicknames is that, thanks to Sky TV, they can actually take over the name of the club. Wigan become The Wigan Warriors; or The Warrington Wolves( they are still The Wire to their fans) or The Huddersfield Giants etc.  - never just Wigan, Warrington or Huddersfield. In Australia it's even worse where you have Sharks, Bunnies, Eels, Broncos, Roosters  etc - they don't even mention where they are based.

It's even more Americanised than we are.  Or am I just showing my age?

I agree with the Logo being a little dated but as has been mentioned the cost would be substantial to change it all at once. If we look to the future it can be minimised by a slower introduction and planned change. I have always loved the old crest and personally I feel it creates a stronger bond to the area. Something to discuss possibly for next season and perhaps we can put a pole on the website to see what the fans want?

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

I agree with the Logo being a little dated but as has been mentioned the cost would be substantial to change it all at once. If we look to the future it can be minimised by a slower introduction and planned change. I have always loved the old crest and personally I feel it creates a stronger bond to the area. Something to discuss possibly for next season and perhaps we can put a pole on the website to see what the fans want?

Completely agree. The cost of change for change sake isn't worth considering. However, if change is phased in to minimise the cost then it might be worth thinking about IF the change is an improvement. Anything that engages the fans has to be good.

Ron Banks

We inherited the Raiders as part of the "merger" with Carlisle. We then dropped the Border  from the name which didn't seem to cause many problems.

I would much rather have something connected with the history of the area, probably ship/submarine based, which would be unique to Barrow and more marketable.

For instance looking at the other code the chant of the Exeter Chiefs and the fezs of the Saracen supporters give them both an identity - when you see them you know which team they support. The flat-cappers of Featherstone are a similar story.

There's an opportunity out there we just need enough abstract thinking to come up with it.

I'd go with something like"Ironmen" reflecting our iron ore heritage.

Something like the logo the Sky presenters wear for the prostate cancer charity or a robot type stylised figure.

From the ship buiding side it would be great given our HMS Indomitable (Barrow built and Barrow players on the tour) connection if we could use that but it isn't very snappy.

Names like Dreadnought etc fall into the same category, they are descriptive of our values etc but not very easy to incorporate into logo/ mascot type things.

Thats why I think the Ironman tag would be easy enough to incorporate.

Can anyone think of a Barrow ship or submarine that has a name that would fit?

Ron Banks

I think you mean Poll...... :P

Team / Club names are useful I guess when differentiating between clubs in the same town, like FC and KR in Hull, but pointless if there is already a nic/name in place - Whitehaven 'Warriors' was never going to replace Haven.

At Craven Park the popular sides chant is "Barrow, Barrow" the only time Raiders comes in, is when the announcement is made to get behind them. That said I rather like Barrow Raiders and would hate to have to change my 2009 scarf and 2016 hoodie - both proudly worn to home and away games.

I don't know a lot about the other code but what I remember as London Wasps is now just Wasps and play at Coventry; the home of Saracens and indeed the origin of the name remains a mystery; perversely I see today Sheffield Eagles are to play at Wakefield Trinity's Belle Vue ground, what happened to 'Wildcats'? How is this allowed to happen, franchising by the back door? But wait a minute weren't Wakefield going to play at Dewsbury Rams Tetley Stadium!

David Taylor

@750VFR

I'd go with something like"Ironmen" reflecting our iron ore heritage.

Something like the logo the Sky presenters wear for the prostate cancer charity or a robot type stylised figure.

From the ship buiding side it would be great given our HMS Indomitable (Barrow built and Barrow players on the tour) connection if we could use that but it isn't very snappy.

Names like Dreadnought etc fall into the same category, they are descriptive of our values etc but not very easy to incorporate into logo/ mascot type things.

Thats why I think the Ironman tag would be easy enough to incorporate.

Can anyone think of a Barrow ship or submarine that has a name that would fit?

Reading this and thinking Ironmen as in South Wales Ironmen?? 

Archived