Playing season debate thread (many merged threads)

5 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Most sports have issues with participation numbers.

For reasons you give. I think it's good that people have more choice with what to do with their time...I'm one of those people. It's all about taking on the challenge, not shying away from it.

Mmmmm I think I've met every challenge in my life head on and one was Northern Ireland in the 70's, even back then we got taught never be scared to back track if you feel your in danger, IMO since the switch to summer rugby the amateur game is in danger.

My own amateur club went back to totally playing in the winter last season, we've seen nothing but growth since.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Mmmmm I think I've met every challenge in my life head on and one was Northern Ireland in the 70's, even back then we got taught never be scared to back track if you feel your in danger, IMO since the switch to summer rugby the amateur game is in danger.

My own amateur club went back to totally playing in the winter last season, we've seen nothing but growth since.

Yes I know you were in the army.

Perhaps the challenge within junior/community rugby is being willing to accept change

1 hour ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Yes I know you were in the army.

Perhaps the challenge within junior/community rugby is being willing to accept change

Why accept something when it's doing no good, would you drink acid if you got told it cured heartburn.

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

Why accept something when it's doing no good, would you drink acid if you got told it cured heartburn.

Perhaps it's doing no good because people are too reactionary and set in their ways to make it work. If acid cured heartburn what's the problem. Vitamin c is an acid. 

15 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Perhaps it's doing no good because people are too reactionary and set in their ways to make it work. If acid cured heartburn what's the problem. Vitamin c is an acid. 

* Vitamin C is good at giving you heartburn *

Maybe some people have tried it because the concept seems a good one on paper but in practice doesn't work as well as the old one

Moorends players yesterday doing what young men do best in the summer

festival.jpg

On 6 August 2017 at 3:19 PM, Marauder said:

* Vitamin C is good at giving you heartburn *

Maybe some people have tried it because the concept seems a good one on paper but in practice doesn't work as well as the old one

Moorends players yesterday doing what young men do best in the summer

festival.jpg

and women

people don't do just one thing in summer

Having been part of the community game since its switch, and before of course, I have to admit that Summer is not working for the longevity of our game. It is not about acceptance its about commitment and sadly as illustrated above other obstacles are put in our way. However through the "previous traditional Months" less obstacles pop up and commitment is back to there is naff all else to do on a wet, windy, cold, icy December, January, February afternoon, so lets play rugby and go out with our mates. the wife wont budge all day so I'm not going to get nagged! (that's how I see it anyway:drag:)

The move was supposed to increase our skill level, the community game I watch now is no where near it was 5 years ago. It was supposed to increase spectator and revenue, all I have seen is a decline in both. I admit leave the kids where they are but the adult game has to significantly change. Perhaps it is a split season or we do turn back the clock I do not know  but I do think its time to have an honest review of where our game is and where we want to go at community level, and that's not just the secretary's but players n all nor is it through an online survey!! I

Now its time to talk and be grown ups, not point fingers but come up with a solution to keep this game alive.

26 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Having been part of the community game since its switch, and before of course, I have to admit that Summer is not working for the longevity of our game. It is not about acceptance its about commitment and sadly as illustrated above other obstacles are put in our way. However through the "previous traditional Months" less obstacles pop up and commitment is back to there is naff all else to do on a wet, windy, cold, icy December, January, February afternoon, so lets play rugby and go out with our mates. the wife wont budge all day so I'm not going to get nagged! (that's how I see it anyway:drag:)

The move was supposed to increase our skill level, the community game I watch now is no where near it was 5 years ago. It was supposed to increase spectator and revenue, all I have seen is a decline in both. I admit leave the kids where they are but the adult game has to significantly change. Perhaps it is a split season or we do turn back the clock I do not know  but I do think its time to have an honest review of where our game is and where we want to go at community level, and that's not just the secretary's but players n all nor is it through an online survey!! I

Now its time to talk and be grown ups, not point fingers but come up with a solution to keep this game alive.

Spot on, you get my VOTE !!!

I've also given thought to why a season has to be 9 months long, why not have 2 playing seasons within a 12 month period which would also give 2 rest periods to recover, 2 sets of promotion and relegations may just keep the teams playing who are suffering difficult times.

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

Never said they only did one thing, I'm sure I have always said there to many things to do in the summer

Which is a good thing.

Mate you are obviously deeply committed to community rugby league, for which you have my utmost respect. You are at the sharp end. Thank you for sharing your views with someone who knows nack all.

3 hours ago, Tongs ya bas said:

Which is a good thing.

Mate you are obviously deeply committed to community rugby league, for which you have my utmost respect. You are at the sharp end. Thank you for sharing your views with someone who knows nack all.

It's nothing to do with knowing or not knowing, but by looking back to what we had and then looking at what we've got tells you one thing and then if you look at the health of the NCL clubs you'll see apart from a very few they look in a very poorly shape compared to 5 or 6 years ago.

I like the concept of summer rugby and help start a team in 2004, we eventually took over the running of the local winter team but carried on playing both seasons, we used to get 40 to 50 training in the summer but sadly numbers on the training park doesn't always fill the team sheet on a Saturday, in the winter we got 20 or so training who where far more dedicated to match days, we've just pulled through a poor period but that was mainly an internal matter and not really to do with the players, we seem sorted now and hopefully we can move forward slowly.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

It's nothing to do with knowing or not knowing, but by looking back to what we had and then looking at what we've got tells you one thing and then if you look at the health of the NCL clubs you'll see apart from a very few they look in a very poorly shape compared to 5 or 6 years ago.

I like the concept of summer rugby and help start a team in 2004, we eventually took over the running of the local winter team but carried on playing both seasons, we used to get 40 to 50 training in the summer but sadly numbers on the training park doesn't always fill the team sheet on a Saturday, in the winter we got 20 or so training who where far more dedicated to match days, we've just pulled through a poor period but that was mainly an internal matter and not really to do with the players, we seem sorted now and hopefully we can move forward slowly.

Cheers mate, all power to your elbow

My worry is that the RFL don't know where to start.

First of all the have to admit the switch to summer hasn't worked, which would mean eating a lot of humble pie.

secondly they have to demonstrate a willingness to listen and change the way the game is ran at amateur level, which involves a tremendous amount of leg work and communication with players, clubs, officials and also find some way to engage with players who have dropped out of the sport in the last five years.

the borough of Allerdale, once a bastion of RL participation in Cumbria is in real danger of imploding.

maryport dropped out of the league at the beginning of this season, Glasson, Seaton, Flimby and Broughton have all failed to fulfil fixtures this season.

Workington, despite being the sole professional club has no amateur RL in the town at all, the closest being in the village of Seaton.

there are only 4 U12 sides in the West Cumbria Youth League, so where are the players of the future going to come from?

these issues are mirrored up and down the county, so why are we hearing nothing from Red Hall. Are they so blinkered that they can't see the state the game is in?

the game is sadly lacking leadership, and something needs to happen quickly or the damage will be irreversible (if it isn't already)

Archived