England. Confident? This time. If so what's changed

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same feelings as normal, cautious optimism. I expect it will be the same feelings again afterwards, dejection and despair.

We still have a mental barrier with the Aussies. Having more NRL players and Wayne Bennett should be a big help to combating that.

I suspect we will lose to them in the final though.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

the Aussies look much weaker this time around.

Why, because they have some unfamiliar names in the Squad, don't believe that for one minute they will be any less skilled or void of passion, and quite rightly all with the euphoria we have in the appointment of Mr Bennett, Australia have also got a new coach in Mal Maninga, he may not have the coaching pedigree of WB but he will certainly have his charges fired up. We will have to be at our very best to beat them, but I think that we can, and if we do I won't be saying it was because they had a weaker team this time around.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

The forwards should match whatever is put in front of them and if they play to the best of their ability should be able to get on top of any of the other packs. Our wingers and centres aren't as good but Hall, mcgilvray and Watkins can all hold their own and percival or sarginson don't worry me. If whatever half back combination we pick and whoever plays full back can perform well then we have every chance, if they don't then it will be close but no cigar again. We really need to get our kicking game to be better than it has been too. I think Wayne Bennett is a huge plus for us and I think his presence in our dugout has a negative effect on some of the Australian players. Overall, quietly confident but history warns against it. It's the hope that kills you!

"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stuarts-photography/156268557729980

The forwards should match whatever is put in front of them and if they play to the best of their ability should be able to get on top of any of the other packs. Our wingers and centres aren't as good but Hall, mcgilvray and Watkins can all hold their own and percival or sarginson don't worry me. If whatever half back combination we pick and whoever plays full back can perform well then we have every chance, if they don't then it will be close but no cigar again. We really need to get our kicking game to be better than it has been too. I think Wayne Bennett is a huge plus for us and I think his presence in our dugout has a negative effect on some of the Australian players. Overall, quietly confident but history warns against it. It's the hope that kills you!

It's your last sentence that sums up a lot of our feelings

England's biggest worry is the generational change happening with the Australian squad. It's been long overdue - Australia's rep sides have been far too loyal to the old stagers for far too long. As a result, we've seen tired old pros slugging it out in Origin and Tests for the last couple of years, at a declining standard. NZ took advantage and England almost did too. This Kangaroos team is a bit more youthful and has more spark, so that could be a worry for the others...all that said, England's forward pack is quality and I'm backing Bennett to get the best out of Hall, Watkins, Widdop etc.

Still hopeful rather than confident but we are a bloody good team. Our last showing Down Under was very good and we beat the Kiwis last year despite being slightly off it imho so showed we can win the tough way.

At some stage it will click, just like it did for the Kiwis when they won that Tri Nations at Elland Road 24 nil. Since then they won a world cup and two more four nations and are the no1 ranked team. They are no better than us.

We need to keep working hard, i thought McNamara did a good job but coaching can no longer be used as an excuse.

Come on England!

Hall's try is allowed - we beat Australia

Sinfield forgets to be superman for a minute - we were in a world cup final

No cutting edge at all just a team of very blunt instruments - we beat the kiwis

Now we have sam back, across the board we are sharper, quicker and better than the last time we played, and we are at home, which counts massively in RL for some inexplicable reason

#wallofwhite

Have some faith people I don't think we are favourites but we are as close as we have been for a very long time and we do now have a realistic chance of winning the tournament

Not sure about Bennett but England's forward pack is the best of the nations with out a doubt with Sammy & Graham. Add to that Mcgillvary, Watkins & Hall and there is plenty of strike power there. Will the Halves be able to do there bit is the big question.

For the sake of International RL I hope England at least give it a shake this year.

Not sure about Bennett but England's forward pack is the best of the nations with out a doubt with Sammy & Graham. Add to that Mcgillvary, Watkins & Hall and there is plenty of strike power there. Will the Halves be able to do there bit is the big question.

For the sake of International RL I hope England at least give it a shake this year.

the halves selection will be key. In Gale, Brown and Williams we have some good attacking talent - im not a fan of Widdopp but hope hell prove me wrong. Attacking halves for the first time in a few years would be great.

Not sure about Bennett but England's forward pack is the best of the nations with out a doubt with Sammy & Graham. Add to that Mcgillvary, Watkins & Hall and there is plenty of strike power there. Will the Halves be able to do there bit is the big question.

I had you down as an Australian Indigenous person.

Now I am thinking you are a 10 pound Pom  ;)

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived