Alternative Heroes of Hornets

IanC

How is this for a Alternative Heroes of Hornets since I started watching -in position order

1-Joe Chamberlain

2- Henderson Gill

3-Tom Brophy

4-Matt Calland

5-Joe Levula

6- John Butler

7- Steve Gartland

8-Danny Sculthorpe

9-Phil Mckenzie

10-Stan Owen

11-Terry Forgerty

12-Bob Welding

13- Mike Kuiti

Subs -ONLY 2

14- Phil Bancroft

15- Tony Halmshaw

ALL SUBJECTIVE

How is this for a Alternative Heroes of Hornets since I started watching -in position order

1-Joe Chamberlain

2- Henderson Gill

3-Tom Brophy

4-Matt Calland

5-Joe Levula

6- John Butler

7- Steve Gartland

8-Danny Sculthorpe

9-Phil Mckenzie

10-Stan Owen

11-Terry Forgerty

12-Bob Welding

13- Mike Kuiti

Subs -ONLY 2

14- Phil Bancroft

15- Tony Halmshaw

ALL SUBJECTIVE

Great team. I think Id have Malcolm Price in for Calland and really need to find room for Alan Hodkinson. Both played for great britain so were elite level players. Perhaps we could increase the subs bench to 4

Other notable ommissions who probably deserve consideration, frank Myler, bill Holliday, John Woods, Graham Starkey Apasai Toga. The first three were at the end of their careers but were still class players

I did not want to include the club nominated players -like Alan Hodgkinson /Frank myler etc

OOps, my apologies, I had missed the announcement of a heros team and your objective of the alternate team.  Your alternate team would take some beating for sure.

Here is my alternative team with out using any of the Heros team.

1. Kevin Harcombe

2. Henderson Gill

3. Matt Calland

4. Mark Nixon

5. Norman Brelsford

6. John Woods

7. Phil Bancroft

8. Bill Holliday

9. Phil McKenzie

10. Neil Cowie

11. Terry Fogarty

12. Bill Sheffield

13. Tony Halmshaw

Coach Kel Coslett.

All Subjective

Apesi Toga and Frank Myler would probably be my first two names on the team sheet in the pack and three quarters respectively We've had some great players over the years.

I would wholeheartedly agree with those two players but as I selected players who were NOT in The Heroes Team I obviously couldn't select them.

There are more great players missing from my list such as Martin Hall Martin Strett Danny Sculthope Mick Baxter Andy Sullivan Dean Longeran Johnny Noon etc but in the end it's a personel choice

I like the looks of Ian's team. Here are my suggestions

1   Paul Owen

2   Henderson Gill

3   Tom Brophy

4   Matt Calland

5   Trevor Simms

6   John Butler

7   John Fishwick

8   Bill Hanson

9   Phil Mckenzie  or Peter Clarke if old style scrums

10 Bill Holliday

11 Bill Sheffield

12 Wally Jones

13 Alan Robinson

Subs from Joe Chamberlain, Mick Baxter, Peter Gartland, Jim Parr.

What is it with John Woods? One season and bottled a kick in the premiership playoffs that year.

As mentioned, its all subjective and open to opinion - stop trying to force yours on people

Moments of individual brilliance and ability which not all other players are capable of, qualify sometimes as "the best to have played for" etc. this is same in any sport - Bobbie Goulding would come into this arena but obviously not played as many games as someone like Paul Crook which brings in the argument of when does length of service outweigh quality 

Ive heard so many people speak negatively about the Heros of Hornets since it was picked including ex players and also players selected who are embarrassed they were selected ahead of some genuine certainties that were overlooked.

Maybe its time to put it right? 

The players in the Heroes XIII were nominated/voted by supporters, not the club.

John woods was almost single handidly responsible for us getting promotion that season, however you are right about that kick in the Dewsbury game, he appeared to bottle it and chuck the ball to Ticker who had barely just stepped on the pitch

The bloke was pure class and had dropped down from the old 1st divison despite his advancing years.  I reckon we would have won more than one game in Div 1 if he had stayed with us.

We have all seen many good players in the past in the red white and blue, but for me John Woods was head and shoulders above anything I've seen before or since even just for one season. Its a totally personal opinion of course

I think the Hero's of Hornets XIII has been a massive success, agree or disagree with the selection its certainly got us all talking about the greatest club playing the best sport in the world.................. Rochdale Hornets RLFC.  

And that cant be a bad thing can it?

Archived