Wigan

Pink panther

No - I'm saying that you have to be fair to guys who rarely miss training sessions - who have put it in all pre season - will be here next year and the year after - whether it be carl forber Callum Phillips brett carter or Karl olstrom whoever but you all expect this super duper wally Lewis style 6 to come in and start blowing teams away with speed and guile ... If you guys have ever played the game you will understand that you can't just throw a 6/7 in on a Thursday night and everything be good, it takes weeks / months of training to get moves running smoothly - and on out pitch it makes it even harder for them to create anything

You look at the full back sweep round the back we do with Murphy ... 2 plays out the back hitting Murphy on the arc into the centre position... Every time he gets snagged ... As he runs out of room... He is in the last 6-7 m of pitch ... Where he should have a winger hugging the touchine with space to run into .. Yes we are restricted with the motor bikes but we are crying out for a bigger pitch to play on... If we did have especially at home you might see the halves create a bit more .. The last polished halfback performance I saw on DP Was a scrum half for fev a few seasons ago where every kick lead to 4 points... These moves don't just happen .. They take hours on the training field, not just a Thursday night and a team run on a Saturday morning .

Carl is very good and better than you give credit for, his goal kicking is exceptional, but your all still calling for Hampshire to come in... I've seen Hampshire play once all be it in super league and he was very quiet, you all called for danny craven last season and he did nothing... Sam Powell last year in the game he played had a good game but he didn't create much ...

Same with the kicking game, at Batley the kicking game was decent, we forced 4/5 repeat sets ... But at home it has to be a bloody good kick to find the grass as if they have 3 back the pitch is so small they can gather easily ... Also our kickers whoever it may be never get any protection... We see last tackle as a kick and hope .. Our K sometimes has 2/3 men charging at them... With no blockers in sight.. Putting them under pressure leading to rushed kicks ...

We have a very mobile team .. Back row especially... With lots of pace at the back were just being nullified with the lack of space ... Watching the highlights of last week and a couple of individual errors lead to line breaks resulting in tries, but 34-16 wasn't bad .. They're full time... But everyone is disappointed as some thought we could get a result !! Most of the London team have played regular first team in SL ... Where as some of ours have played regular in carla...

Yes we do need a halfback... And I guess doran is here to cover for when farkas comes... But to be. The club have had since last October to sort this deal.. Everyone else seems to have got their players signed and sealed and over here ...

I just have a massive problem with DR .. Yes we need it on some occasions and I'm thankful we have it ie last week when we are low on numbers... But non of our players should ever miss out to bring in DR if fit and well ...

Some good points there Townie.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep a good post, I thought you were against Farkas coming over.
Carl made me hold my hand up and admit I was wrong about him as he has been very good for a while now, but using your own argument should we not be creating more especially from attacking kicks as he has had the time practicing on the pitch to do this?
All teams run out of room on our pitch on set moves, so we should have an advantage of alternative moves already in the bag. Like you said the attacking kick being a good example from a good half but how many repeat sets do we get during an average match - 2?, 40/20's are another example, since Holty left we haven't had that threat and that's what I'm hoping Farkas brings. To lead the team round the pitch.
By the way I'm not having a go at Buffer as I also think he doesn't get enough credit, but we have a spare no 6 jersey and whether it's a Wigan DR or Farkas he needs a regular partner.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Some good points and a well thought out post. What you say about the pitch could be right , but that just shows that the passing and "guile" has to be that much better. What about the inside ball then on a small pitch?

I've played standoff when I was younger then moved out wide to accommodate better halves than me ,and I know it's not an easy position but it's a combination of executing the plays , thinking on your feet and having a good kicking game. I'm not putting Carl down for the sake of it ... he's too easy to read .

Horton for one is a good goal kicker.

Sorry I can't buy the argument on the pitch negating creation . I watched Liam Finn create ten tries down here , and several others give impressive displays in which they were the difference . I believe the player makes the creativity on the back of the territory and possession he gets , and in my opinion , and on the stats over recent seasons , we lack the consistency of quality in the skills required , in that position , to give us the creativity and threat that gets full return for our opportunities . that's purely on what I see on the pitch for that conspiracy theorist who thought I was in some unused volcano making a long term plan , no doubt stroking a cat

Only bit I disagree with (T123s post) is that I think a bit of class and pace at 6 would make a difference pretty quickly and only weeks and months to perfect. I've seen Forber make some good line breaks this year coupled with some tasty off-loads but we just don't have the creativity or control at 6&13 to complement him. Lupton showed it on occassion.

Horton is pinging some from the touch line on those YouTube clips . I really think he looks like he has the full package when up to full speed ... Good physically , hits hard , runs hard , and some skills with hand and feet when he has the ball . Im not sure where PV will settle him , out wide or at lock ? Obviously he has his conditioning to perfect so we see that to the full

A very good post from Townie123 and I can agree with quite a lot of that.   The only point I would make is if the pitch is the cause of our lack of creativity from the half-backs then why are we not better at it when we play away on some of these bigger pitches like the Keepmoat and last Sunday's pitch at Barnett?   I've only watched the highlights of last week but I didn't see any good creative play from our half-backs then.  

I think most people have a problem with DR but it is down to the clubs themselves to get it sorted out.    The fans can only comment as they feel and as they see it but at the end of the day they have very little say in what happens.   

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

It seems to be a recurring feature away from home ... And yes keith , this is our forum for venting our opinions and spleen on rugby matters, but it's chip paper .We hear let PV get on with his job , well he is doing , regardless !! And long may he continue to do so . He thinks only of putting the strongest team out on the pitch to win a game , I'm sure .

A very good post from Townie123 and I can agree with quite a lot of that. The only point I would make is if the pitch is the cause of our lack of creativity from the half-backs then why are we not better at it when we play away on some of these bigger pitches like the Keepmoat and last Sunday's pitch at Barnett? I've only watched the highlights of last week but I didn't see any good creative play from our half-backs then.

I think most people have a problem with DR but it is down to the clubs themselves to get it sorted out. The fans can only comment as they feel and as they see it but at the end of the day they have very little say in what happens.

very good point Keith about playing on bigger pitches away from home. My personal opinion is the creativity has to improve especially against the better sides.

In 2013 we ranked 13 of 14 in points scored , and in 2014 we ranked 14 of 14 . And in many games that never related to the territory , chances and possession we held . Our defence was strong , but it had to be . If you're struggling for tries then it certainly piles pressure on defensive side . I would agree with townie that we've had a long term to fix this and for whatever reason , haven't done it yet , and so are still looking for sticking plasters to do so .

As has been said carl makes decent breaks and scores his fair share of tries. The glaring hole in his game is creating for others wether off the boot of with ball in hand, all to often is he caught in possession. I actually voted for him for player of the year last season but this league is another step up from year. We need 2 creative halfs IMO.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Does that mean murphy is still on the wing ?

i really hope not, if jacks fit he has to be at number 1. I would go

Murphy

Tierney

Manfredi

Whiteley

Forrester

Forber

Doran

Shacks

Matty

Walker

Stack