England launch bid for 2021 Rugby League World Cup (Merged threads)

this has the potential to be a gamechanger for rl.

As good as rlwc2013 was, we were still playing some games in front of very small crowds. There is plenty room for improvement and looks like they are being bold.

80% of the games will be played in the heartlands where the game is already well known. It looks to me as they are taking the easy option. Only 20% of the games will be played outside of this area, meaning many parts of England and not to mention Wales, Scotland or friends over the sea in Ireland won't even get to feel the competition is going on.

The Rugby World Cup sold 2.5 million tickets and I don't think it was a game changer. A well organised and attended tournament but certainly not a game changer. People will attend the big games in places like wembley as a day out but it has no meaningful effect on participation numbers or weekly RL viewing figures.

Honestly I think people get a bit carried away with it all. I think it's an opportunity lost not to spread the game.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

80% of the games will be played in the heartlands where the game is already well known. It looks to me as they are taking the easy option. Only 20% of the games will be played outside of this area, meaning many parts of England and not to mention Wales, Scotland or friends over the sea in Ireland won't even get to feel the competition is going on.

The Rugby World Cup sold 2.5 million tickets and I don't think it was a game changer. A well organised and attended tournament but certainly not a game changer. People will attend the big games in places like wembley as a day out but it has no meaningful effect on participation numbers or weekly RL viewing figures.

Honestly I think people get a bit carried away with it all. I think it's an opportunity lost not to spread the game.

typed a long response to this, then i realised i was just talking to a clueless troll who brought RU into this for no reason.

It's a game changer for our little known sport.

People know what you get from Union, it's boring but people went for the event, hence why there is no game changer, as you cannot polish a ######

I wonder why Elland Rd has fallen out of favour with the rfl. Are there issues with the owners?

We are using more modern stadiums for capacity so may as well use the RL stadium in Leeds I guess.

Might help secure Headingly redevelopment too.

I wonder why Elland Rd has fallen out of favour with the rfl. Are there issues with the owners?

My guess is the rates of hire have changed. And yes, probably because of the owners. They probably got a decent wedge from the RFU for those World Cup games and their eyes lit up.

My guess is the rates of hire have changed. And yes, probably because of the owners. They probably got a decent wedge from the RFU for those World Cup games and their eyes lit up.

As a Leeds fan the Etihad, OT and St James' Park are nicer venues anyway IMO, plus Headingley should be supported as an RL Stadium getting a revamp.

Looks like you southerners in Lancashire and Yorkshire have some good options.

Shame they have bumped Cumbria - could have given one game to Carlisle. Just a 1 hour drive north for West Cumbrian fans so could have got a decent turn out.

Looks like some more 3 hour trips down south or 2 hours across country for a possible Newcastle game for the marras

Looks like you southerners in Lancashire and Yorkshire have some good options.

Shame they have bumped Cumbria - could have given one game to Carlisle. Just a 1 hour drive north for West Cumbrian fans so could have got a decent turn out.

Looks like some more 3 hour trips down south or 2 hours across country for a possible Newcastle game for the marras

if you dont have premium stadia for a premium event that isnt tge rfl's fault.

We have written to the RFL to express our displeasure at the disdain for Gloucestershire/Bristol/South West re the choice of 2021 Rugby World Cup venues. Why should we continue to work so hard and invest such large sums of money into the sport?

www.allgoldsrugby.com

We have written to the RFL to express our displeasure at the disdain for Gloucestershire/Bristol/South West re the choice of 2021 Rugby World Cup venues. Why should we continue to work so hard and invest such large sums of money into the sport?

www.allgoldsrugby.com

I understand why you feel this way Lionel, the RFL have a habit of annoying, letting people down and generally demoralising almost everyone by their behaviour. There are no doubt reasons why this has been done but I hope that doesn't prevent you from continuing with the great development work you're doing and that all expansionists support.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Hey they staged one game there so surely their work is done there!!!

Be interesting to know whether they went through any bidding process which seemed to work so well last time, or whether they have just pulled a list of nice grounds together for illustrative purposes, im a touch cynical based on the inability to organise 4n grounds in a timely manner.

Hey they staged one game there so surely their work is done there!!!

Be interesting to know whether they went through any bidding process which seemed to work so well last time, or whether they have just pulled a list of nice grounds together for illustrative purposes, im a touch cynical based on the inability to organise 4n grounds in a timely manner.

This is hardly surprising Dave they've done a lot to try and prove their inability to perform even to those of us not inclined to bash them over everything.

Thank you for your replies. The university own the All Golds. Yes I am heavily involved but if I decide to depart the club can and will continue. As much as I love the club and sport I have to determine the wisdom of putting major funds in when the RFL plainly put little value on our endeavours. I can confirm I personally met the CEO of Bristol Sports over a year ago with a view to a 4 Nations match in the city. Naturally I kept Nigel and co informed. Result? No follow up contact. Nothing.

Thank you for your replies. The university own the All Golds. Yes I am heavily involved but if I decide to depart the club can and will continue. As much as I love the club and sport I have to determine the wisdom of putting major funds in when the RFL plainly put little value on our endeavours. I can confirm I personally met the CEO of Bristol Sports over a year ago with a view to a 4 Nations match in the city. Naturally I kept Nigel and co informed. Result? No follow up contact. Nothing.

Keeping the faith with RL is hard, keeping faith with the RFL is not only harder it can be nigh impossible.

But please keep going, it's almost impossible to replace people like you  and the same can't be said of the RFL.

I have also written to the APRLG to ask them to contact the RFL to support your case for a game Lionel, only wish I could do more.

Archived