Melbourne Storm wants to start pro netball team

Good idea. Netball just signed a major free to air tv deal with ch9 for 2 live games on Saturday nights. They also need 3 more teams as the oz/nz comp is being dumped for an Australian only comp. Melbourne Storm wants to own one of those three teams.

This is a massive development for womens sport. Netball club games can attract up to 10000.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/nine-and-telstra-sign-netball-australia-broadcast-deal-20160518-goyknu.html

Looks like they are going down the European 'sporting club' route, where organisations like Barcelona or PSG field teams in various sports, so the minority ones benefit from the huge brand recognition of the Football team.

Has it ever been (seriously) tried in the UK?

Pretty much the only time I see live Netball is during the Commonwealth Games, and I usually enjoy it. It certainly seems to be gaining in popularity in the UK.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Looks like they are going down the European 'sporting club' route, where organisations like Barcelona or PSG field teams in various sports, so the minority ones benefit from the huge brand recognition of the Football team.

Has it ever been (seriously) tried in the UK?

Pretty much the only time I see live Netball is during the Commonwealth Games, and I usually enjoy it. It certainly seems to be gaining in popularity in the UK.

That sporting club model already exists at many clubs. Panthers also fund the local RU, cricket, netball. Commercially OZ/NZ Netball has done better than nearly every other sport over the last 10 years. I think the crowd record in the Trans Tasman series is 12,000 for a club game which would have been unthinkable 20 years ago.

OZ Netball is splitting because they claim they have too many players to fit into the 5 teams they had in the TT League. I guess the money isn't big enough yet for the weaker teams to buy up those spare players. I read somewhere that the top players are now getting about $30K, which is pretty good for a 17-week season,  and they even have imports, mainly from Jamaica and England.

That sporting club model already exists at many clubs. Panthers also fund the local RU, cricket, netball. Commercially OZ/NZ Netball has done better than nearly every other sport over the last 10 years. I think the crowd record in the Trans Tasman series is 12,000 for a club game which would have been unthinkable 20 years ago.

OZ Netball is splitting because they claim they have too many players to fit into the 5 teams they had in the TT League. I guess the money isn't big enough yet for the weaker teams to buy up those spare players. I read somewhere that the top players are now getting about $30K, which is pretty good for a 17-week season,  and they even have imports, mainly from Jamaica and England.

I didn't know that. I like the concept, but it doesn't seem to have much traction in the UK, for whatever reason.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I didn't know that. I like the concept, but it doesn't seem to have much traction in the UK, for whatever reason.

Our licenced clubs are generally tax-exempt Community Associations for the provision of community services, like sport. The lower-grade clubs, who have much lower running costs for their RL teams are even more diverse. My biggest local club, Blacktown Workers, runs RL teams from u6s through to Ron Massey Cup, Baseball, fishing, softball, has its own lawn bowls greens, tennis courts, cricket and netball teams.

One reason Brit RL doesn't do that is probably money. Blacktown Workers has annual revenue of $50 million and assets of $100 million with 50,000 members

Most of the older Sydney-based NRL clubs are similar. When we say Manly lost $1 million this year we mean their NRL operation lost $1 mill and had to be subsidised by their licenced club.

it isn't exactly the Penrith Panthers Rugby League Club. It is the licenced leagues club "Panthers" that would sponsor the league. Many licenced leagues clubs (entertainment venues bareing the club name) sponsor clubs and leagues in other sports. Wests would be very prominent in this type of arrangement wouldn't they Duck?

This is the Campbelltown Club:

ClubGRANTS

The Wests Sports Council includes:

Ambarvale Little Athletics, Camden District Cricket Association, Campbelltown Camden District Cricket Club, Campbelltown City Kangaroos, Campbelltown District Netball Association, Campbelltown & District Softball Association, Campbelltown Ghosts Junior Baseball Club, Campbelltown Touch Association, , Group 6 Junior Rugby League, Group 6 Referees, Macarthur Baseball League, Macarthur Football Association, Macarthur Triathlon Club, Macquarie Fields Swimming Club, Magpies Cricket Club, South Campbelltown Kangaroos AFL Club, South West Strikers Hockey Club, Southern Districts Tennis Association, Western Suburbs District Junior Rugby League, Wests Hockey Club, Wests Referees

And this is the Wests Ashfield club:  http://westsashfield.com.au/intra-clubs/

• A.P.I.A Leichhardt Tigers FC

• ACC Cricket Club

• Burwood FC

• Concord Burwood United Wolves JRLFC

• CSP Athlete Factory

• Enfield Federals JRLFC

• Inner Western Suburbs Netball Assoc

• Kozy Swim Club

• Leichhardt JRLFC

• Leichhardt Wanderers JRLFC

• Petersham Junior Rugby

• Pratten Park Magpies

• St Patricks FC

• Strathfield Raiders JRLFC

• Wests Ashfield Leagues Oz Tag

• Wests Backgammon

• Wests Badminton

• Wests Boomers Baseball

• Wests Ladies Golf

• Wests Mens Hockey

• Wests Mens Golf

• Wests Water Polo

• Western Suburbs District Cricket Club

• Western Suburbs Magpies RLFC

• Western Suburbs Lawn Tennis Assoc

• Western Suburbs Mens Bowling Club

• Western Suburbs Touch Football Assoc

• Western Suburbs Womens Bowling Club

• Wests Juniors Rugby

• Wests Squash Club

• Wests Tigers RLFC

Only costs $3 to join. You could start one. They sell Lazy Yak beer which is apparently brewed by Fat Yak. I don't know where you'd find enough yaks to make beer out of.

post-43517-0-52497400-1463831318_thumb.jpg

Archived