Non heartland fans - how does it feel?

There are plenty of discussions on this site about how to (or even whether) we should expand the game as well as on individual expansionist initiatives but I was just wondering -  for fans of clubs outside of the heartland areas - places where there is not a tradition or culture of RL (like here in London) how does it feel being a fan of the sport? Do you feel isolated? Do you feel part of the wider RL community or do you feel its different? Does it even matter so long as you have a game to go too?

For my part (Berkshire born and have lived in south all my life other than three years at uni in Bradford) it does sometimes feel in London like we fans are part of a counter culture (or may be cult!) I also think for all my commitment to London Skolars my first commitment is to the sport's growth (I am pleased if Broncos or Hemel do well or amateur clubs like Chargers are coming up the rails for example).

[Edited to rectify my appalling grammar!]

"Non heartland fans - how does it feel?"

Er, pretty lonely actually as if living in T S Elliot's Wasteland wasn't bad enough. :cry:

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

How does it feel

How does it feeel

To be on your own

No direction home

A complete unknown

Sorry got carried away there but sometimes its like that and then I meet a fan in little old Matlock, have a natter, and its OK again.

I'm used to the banter, sometimes it has a little bite to it, but I'm always ready with answers honed over many years.

It is annoying that so many people say oh, I never knew Derby had a Rugby League team, when it's been there over 25 years and had great radio and print coverage. 

My family are fans of the game, even the recent additions (wives etc) so never lonely as long as there is a game on TV to discuss.

And yes I feel part of the wider family but not that strongly. It does feel stronger unfortunately when a tragedy occurs.

How does it feel

How does it feeel

To be on your own

No direction home

A complete unknown

Sorry got carried away there but sometimes its like that and then I meet a fan in little old Matlock, have a natter, and its OK again.

I'm used to the banter, sometimes it has a little bite to it, but I'm always ready with answers honed over many years.

It is annoying that so many people say oh, I never knew Derby had a Rugby League team, when it's been there over 25 years and had great radio and print coverage. 

My family are fans of the game, even the recent additions (wives etc) so never lonely as long as there is a game on TV to discuss.

And yes I feel part of the wider family but not that strongly. It does feel stronger unfortunately when a tragedy occurs.

Thanks for a really good read JR and yet there are people who argue expansion is a waste of time, money, expertise and resources, Gasp! :fie:

You do feel more isolated, because RL isn't part of the mainstream cultural consciousness. Most people I meet don't really care much about 'Rugby', let alone know that there are two different codes.

On the other hand, meeting fellow fans can make for a camaraderie that goes further beyond club loyalties than maybe it would in the traditional heartlands. 

Then there's the very tiny (but loud) minority in the heartlands who deride what they see as fans/clubs/players who aren't "real", apparently. That's really encouraging, guys!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

You do feel more isolated, because RL isn't part of the mainstream cultural consciousness. Most people I meet don't really care much about 'Rugby', let alone know that there are two different codes.

On the other hand, meeting fellow fans can make for a camaraderie that goes further beyond club loyalties than maybe it would in the traditional heartlands. 

I think both your points are true. On the way Saturday I tried to explain that rugby did not just mean that 15 aside code after he announced the only sport he did not like was rugby. Maybe the sport means more to us outside the heartlands as we cannot take it for granted.

Then there's the very tiny (but loud) minority in the heartlands who deride what they see as fans/clubs/players who aren't "real", apparently. That's really encouraging, guys!

There are two different codes?  Do you mean NRL and SL?

Meeting anyone who knows RL is more than a stereotype and source of amusement is like a breath of fresh air!

And your last point, well how true!

An interesting point you are inviting us to discuss, Essex RL; thanks for doing so!

Yes, it is isolated, but if (a) you are largely content with your own company, and (B) understand that you will usually be in a minority of one, then it is OK.

Little things can irritate, most obviously the assumptions that follow when you say that, yes, you are interested in 'rugby'.  I get over it by qualifying my affirmative answers to that sort of question with such as "but not as you probably know it" or "but in particular, the troublesome, breakaway Northern Union code".  Such light-heartedness eases the irritation!

As I get older, the plus side is memories of my first engagement with RL as a schoolboy, going to see Wigan one Saturday afternoon and Leigh the next (rarely if ever clashed in the fixture list, as far as I can recall); and more recently, but still now some time ago, popping down to Lawkholme Lane to see the Cougars when visiting my in-laws (sadly, no longer with us) near Skipton.  The down side is perhaps a generation of RU fans who are genuinely ignorant of the hostile approach of their code to ours.  I went to see Prof Tony Collins at the Salisbury Arts Festival where he was interviewed about his new book, The Oval World.  He caused a few genuine gasps of surprise when he said that he had met the last person to be banned by the RFU for playing league.  I don't think most people there realised this happened as recently as about two to three decades ago, at the most.

And there is the occasional, pleasant surprise - like wearing my Dragons replica shirt to the supermarket in Salisbury and finding a Leeds Rhinos' fan behind me in the check-out queue.  Our conversation clearly seemed like a foreign language to the young woman on the till!

So, yes, a bit lonely at times, but not so bad, really!

I lived in London before Super League and it was hard work watching the London Crusaders before they became the Broncos, but as soon as Super League came along the interest in Rugby League in London soared.

I will say now nothing can replicate the excitement there was in London in them first few seasons in Super League for us Rugby League fans living there. Now back home i still have a soft spot for the Broncos and still hope they can return to Super League in the not too distance future.

An interesting point you are inviting us to discuss, Essex RL; thanks for doing so!

Yes, it is isolated, but if (a) you are largely content with your own company, and ( B) understand that you will usually be in a minority of one, then it is OK.

Little things can irritate, most obviously the assumptions that follow when you say that, yes, you are interested in 'rugby'.  I get over it by qualifying my affirmative answers to that sort of question with such as "but not as you probably know it" or "but in particular, the troublesome, breakaway Northern Union code".  Such light-heartedness eases the irritation!

As I get older, the plus side is memories of my first engagement with RL as a schoolboy, going to see Wigan one Saturday afternoon and Leigh the next (rarely if ever clashed in the fixture list, as far as I can recall); and more recently, but still now some time ago, popping down to Lawkholme Lane to see the Cougars when visiting my in-laws (sadly, no longer with us) near Skipton.  The down side is perhaps a generation of RU fans who are genuinely ignorant of the hostile approach of their code to ours.  I went to see Prof Tony Collins at the Salisbury Arts Festival where he was interviewed about his new book, The Oval World.  He caused a few genuine gasps of surprise when he said that he had met the last person to be banned by the RFU for playing league.  I don't think most people there realised this happened as recently as about two to three decades ago, at the most.

And there is the occasional, pleasant surprise - like wearing my Dragons replica shirt to the supermarket in Salisbury and finding a Leeds Rhinos' fan behind me in the check-out queue.  Our conversation clearly seemed like a foreign language to the young woman on the till!

So, yes, a bit lonely at times, but not so bad, really!

Excellent post I hope a few heartland people read and start supporting expansion as being about people who love the game.

I lived in London before Super League and it was hard work watching the London Crusaders before they became the Broncos, but as soon as Super League came along the interest in Rugby League in London soared.

I will say now nothing can replicate the excitement there was in London in them first few seasons in Super League for us Rugby League fans living there. Now back home i still have a soft spot for the Broncos and still hope they can return to Super League in the not too distance future.

Maybe we could write a book like Dave Hadfield's Winters.  13 Loners, 13 Losers, 13 Aw Bless's, 13 Southern Anoraks ....... Does anyone have any more and preferably better suggestions?

I'm a recent armchair convert.

I've been to the last few CC finals but strangely it was the Rugby Union World Cup that made me drop almost all interest in the other code. I spent several hundred pounds on tickets at Twickenham only to finally realise RU is a game meant to be played, not watched.

The following month I saw England v New Zealand at the Olympic Stadium and even though it was widely regarded as a dreadful RL test, it was a vast improvement on the 'kick and clap' I'd just seen on the other side of London.

The Weald Warriors are close by and I went to watch them a couple of weeks ago in a titanic 34-32 win over the Invicta Panthers. And that's the thing with RL, even at those lowly levels played on school playing fields, it is a superb game to watch.

I wish I'd gotten in to it earlier. And I'd have loved to play the game. You Northern blokes are lucky.

Damn, I excitedly opened the OP expecting to see a vote of how many non-heartland fans thought 'How does it feel' was Slade's greatest hit.

For me their greatest songs were 'Mama weer all Crazee now' and 'Everyday'.

Got to agree about Everyday which was also a surprise cos i thought they'd redone Buddy Holly!

I'm a recent armchair convert.

I've been to the last few CC finals but strangely it was the Rugby Union World Cup that made me drop almost all interest in the other code. I spent several hundred pounds on tickets at Twickenham only to finally realise RU is a game meant to be played, not watched.

The following month I saw England v New Zealand at the Olympic Stadium and even though it was widely regarded as a dreadful RL test, it was a vast improvement on the 'kick and clap' I'd just seen on the other side of London.

The Weald Warriors are close by and I went to watch them a couple of weeks ago in a titanic 34-32 win over the Invicta Panthers. And that's the thing with RL, even at those lowly levels played on school playing fields, it is a superb game to watch.

I wish I'd gotten in to it earlier. And I'd have loved to play the game. You Northern blokes are lucky.

It doesn't matter where you watch from and heartland fans do have a tendency to take their wonderful proximity for granted.

And your widely regarded as a dreadful test comment is a bit of that and being spoiled by the sport and jaundiced generally.

I played both and I don't think it was meant to played or watched just drunkenly talked about while sheering at league.

And it is TGG because it's the superb game to watch.

Well done for taking to the amateur game too!

I'm less than 30 miles from a Super League club but it may as well be 300.

Great game to watch but outside a narrow definition of "heartlands" you get heavily involved at your peril. Disappointment is headed your way at some point. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I'm less than 30 miles from a Super League club but it may as well be 300.

Great game to watch but outside a narrow definition of "heartlands" you get heavily involved at your peril. Disappointment is headed your way at some point. 

30 miles from which one?

The only peril in joining TGG is the obligatory optimism, positivity and forward thinking you have to join in with all the while. There's only so much party time and enthusiasm over every issue a body can cope with!

It's a very lonely existence in Ireland. The sport is pretty much non-existent here outside of a few clubs, most, if not all of whom are off-shoots of Union clubs, who play a short summer season. Any other Irish fans on the board please correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the clubs are made up entirely of the parent RU club's off-season players so it's not the most conducive environment to introducing new players to the sport who have no background in Union.

All my friends and family are soccer, GAA and fair weather Union fans so getting them interested in a new sport that they've never heard of, in which Ireland doesn't have a proper national team, is very difficult. I have brought a few over to see a grand final or international and although they enjoyed the experience, it just didn't seem to click the way it did with me. It's probably because they have no investment in any of the teams. There may be a RL community here that I'm not aware of but pretty much the only time I get to discuss the game is on here.

I did recently see a young lad in my gym in a Catalans jersey though which was cool.

I was born, bred, and still live in Dublin, Ireland.  My Dad always had a liking for League, and i got swept up in the glory of the Martin Offiah inspired Wigan team.  I don't get to go to any RL games (not without paying a fair bit for it), and it's fair to say that i'm pretty far away from "the heartlands"

I watch as much League as Sky will allow me to over here, we've had Dublin based RL teams before, but the interest isn't there, and they're not sustainable.  Our national team has Pat Richards in it, but i could count on one hand, the amount of people i know, who are aware of Pat Richards!

Not to get too mushy, but forums like this, and the passionate people on here, make me feel more involved in the game, than i could ever feel at home.  My Dad, and little brother watch the sport, and i've two other mates who are aware of it, but don't follow it - and that's it, everyone else just assumes i'm referring to Union the whole time.

While i do feel isolated, it's something i've gotten used to over the years, so i barely notice it anymore.

Damp Squib, just saw your post, you're spot on about RU clubs looking for something to keep their players active.  Tag Rugby is about the closest you will get during the summer!

CHERRY & WHITE

IT'S IN OUR BLOOD

ANCIENT AND LOYAL

UNTIL WE DIE!

It is a humbling experience when you realise how few people actually know about the game and the fact we haven't scratched the surface. This makes it more frustrating when you watch petty in-fighting along the M62 and insular leadership.

It also allows you to be objective about where the game and International RL is going.

It is a humbling experience when you realise how few people actually know about the game and the fact we haven't scratched the surface. This makes it more frustrating when you watch petty in-fighting along the M62 and insular leadership.

It also allows you to be objective about where the game and International RL is going.

Yep.

Being from Warrington and then moving to Edinburgh around 6 years ago it was quite an eye opener.

The sport just isn't even a thing up here. If you are lucky you may be able to get a game on in a pub, as long as it doesn't clash with any other sport, and you may get a person who may be interested and chat to you about it, but not normally.

In our office, nobody ever discusses it (apart from the bloke from Widnes!) - and if you mention Rugby, you always have to qualify that you don't mean the Murrayfield version - whereby most people's eyes glaze over.

I introduced my wife to the delights of RL and she is hooked. Absolutely loves it, and the RLWC following Scotland was her favourite sporting thing ever. She can no longer bring herself to watch Football or RU.

When we head down to Warrington for family visits, it always catches us out how much RL is discussed. You see it in the local paper, regional news bulletins, presence in the shops, even seeing players round town - my wife gets very excited by the last one!!!

Don't forget though, Parky said everyone knows about Rugby League.

When I first came to the town where I live now I was amazed to find a Dad and son who like 'follow a bit and have a team each.

One of them watches out for Cas the other Saints. But while there's no accounting for taste this is something I've come to regard as a kind of minor miracle.

Aux genoux, tous le monde, aux genoux!

I think to some extent the lack of the knowledge of the game is holding back crowds in the development areas. That the game is not fashionable to watch in these areas is a problem, especally when being part of the in crowd seems a requirement, Social media only works if others steer you in the right direction  

I was introduced to the game through Fulham in the 1980's although I did miss the early games and was quickly hooked and did numerous aways, but drifted away along with many others. once they left Craven Cottage and just did a few games afterwards whenever I was in the north. Moving to the West Midlands did not greatly increase my total of about three games a year

I remained a tv viewer until a foreign student, staying with us, wanted to see a game live. Being late December there was only amateur games and we went to a fesity challenge cup derby between East Leeds and Hunslet and were both hooked. I then watched a game every two weeks for the first time in 25 years. She still comes back annually and we take in a game

There was no local team. although I had watched the occasional game involving Coventry since they were formed in about 2001

I have taken numerous football fans from my town to various locations over the years but none have been hooked but two other German students remain an interest whenever they come back to the UK. Like me they will watch anything from Pennine League to Internationals.

There is however little interest in my town, I only know one other in a town of 70000 and it is never on tv or talked about in the pubs.

I now visit a new ground most week at all levels and although many people do that at football, there are only a handful of people even in the heartlands who do that 

The elevation of Coventry to the NCL and then semi pro has given me a team only 20 miles away and I go to about two thirds of the homes and will do my third away on Sunday, but when I try and interest others, they are not interested in a team they have not heard of. If I was the fan of a super league club, people may identify with them but to suggest I am a Coventry Bears fan has people trying to guess the sport

Coventry do benefit from sharing with a well supported RU team and a sports mad city but I feel the new teams in Gloucestershire and Oxford have failed to attract any new support with the few fans often travelling some distance.  

It is certainly hard to be an RL fan in the Midlands and are harder still to support a team which is at the development stage and where it is difficult to see how they will ever compete with even the struggling heartlands sides

Archived