Match Thread. Dewsbury v Featherstone Rovers Sunday 22nd May 2016

Dont think we've any injuries from last week, so the line up could look similar to last week.

Depends on what Leeds want to do with Luke Briscoe (Baldy seems to be here every week).

IF he's fit and up to speed new signing Robbie Ward could come straight in.

Still out injured: Snitch, Turner, Channing, Milner, Day and year-long Matty Wildie.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Channing hoping to be back for the bash game

Tough game this but weve a good record when we play at Dews, think last week was massive and confidence will be sky high Fev by 8 regardless of DR situation weeve personnel to cover that now

Some interesting decisions coming up for Sharp. What does he do about Hardman when Channing is fit again? And assuming that Ward is going to be involved as an interchange hooker sooner rather than later (in those games where Ellis isn't unavailable), who is going to be our starting 6 going forward, Briggs or Abdull, and will he continue to alternate them from the bench?

One thing's for sure, if everyone stays healthy for a while there are going to be some very unlucky players not selected in the coming weeks, indeed there are already two or three of those (notably Tagg), but it's a nice problem for Sharp to have and it's hard to say he's got the team selection wrong so far this year or last.

Dewsbury away is always a tough one, I vividly remember the season-opening game 2 years ago in the Bastian era when we were all getting so giddy after hammering SL opposition in friendlies only to be brought crashing down to earth. Dewsbury are likely to be well up for this given they had (I think) seven ex-Rovers in their line-up last week, but we were very good on Sunday and I would imagine the bookies will have us clear favourites on recent form.

Yes. I think there's two major decisons there.

If Ward gets a bench spot, it's a straight Abdull v Briggs for the number 6 jersey.

And if Channing gets a centre spot, it's a straight Hardman v Craven for full-back.

Ex Fev at Dewsbury: Sykes, Kain, Hemmingway, Tonks, Uaisele, Crookes, Trout.

I'd keep the same 17 unless someone's carrying a knock. Maybe there's a case to give Cooper a game so he's ready to step in if anyone's unavailable for Blackpool? But giving Briggs 20 minutes is the best way to ease him back. I don't think Channing will come straight back in until his hamstring has been tested, they're funny things torn hammies and it takes a while to regain your top speed.

I think we will win but expect Dewsbury to put up more resistance than London.Seen Rams play three times this season and they tend to play well for 60 to65 minutes and then run out of steam.Think Fev 's superior fitness may tell in the last quarter.As always this season i can't wait for Sunday.

Squad now on website, only change to 19 is Ward in for Cooper (website actually lists Cooper but no Baldwinson in the list but the accompanying story, plus the fact that Baldwinson is on the RFL site 19, suggests this is an error).

Presumably Kyran Johnson will be one of the two omitted in the final 17, but the other omission is much less straightforward to predict. Having Ward, Abdull and Briggs in the 17 would leave only two "big lads" on the bench so might be one of that trio that misses out.

Squad now on website, only change to 19 is Ward in for Cooper (website actually lists Cooper but no Baldwinson in the list but the accompanying story, plus the fact that Baldwinson is on the RFL site 19, suggests this is an error).

Presumably Kyran Johnson will be one of the two omitted in the final 17, but the other omission is much less straightforward to predict. Having Ward, Abdull and Briggs in the 17 would leave only two "big lads" on the bench so might be one of that trio that misses out.

That's how I see it, unless Baldy really is back at Leeds this week.

FWIW my shout would be Briggs at 6 provided he's proved he can do the 80, Ward off the bench and Abdull out if only because he's a short term loan and will be off soonish anyway (I will stand corrected if that's not the case. There was some talk of a season long loan when he arrived).

I'd keep the same 17 unless someone's carrying a knock. ....

Agree completely. Abdull's loan is for a month (which will make this his last game unless the loan is extended) and he should now be up to speed with the calls, plays and defensive patterns. I'd let Robbie Ward have a bit more time to learn those before throwing him in. We've already seen what happens by constant changing and new players having to come into the side.

Tough call.... we don't function as well when Andy isn't on the field....

If wardy is fit and ready I'd get him in and get some minutes under his belt.

I'd prefer to see JD, craven Abdul or briggsy in their natural positions than acting as a "fill in" 9....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

If he's fit & ready Ward has got to go straight in. Then it's Briggs v Abdull at stand-off as we need three big men on the bench. Wouldn't like to be Jon Sharp, tough decisions.

Yup....

I'd probably err on safety.... give briggsy another week and play abdull...

Though that's a sh it call on briggsy..

That's why I'm nursing and sharpy is a head coach.... he knows sh it loads more than I do

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Yup....

I'd probably err on safety.... give briggsy another week and play abdull...

Though that's a sh it call on briggsy..

That's why I'm nursing and sharpy is a head coach.... he knows sh it loads more than I do

to be fair John Bastian knew shiiiite more than theee

Not only nil but nilled the home sideAwesome defence this week (and last)   Davies brilliant again.  Super song about Sharpie.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Dews tried so hard to slow it down and niggle throughout but we kept our heads for most of the time while Dews heads went ultimately

I know they are going to blame the ref but Dews were the architects of their own downfall for me with poor in game descisions throughout from poor generalplay to poor discipline to poor kicking

31-0 flatters them

Here in lies the problem, whoever misses out doesn't get any game time because of the reserves situation. We need to keep players match fit so some players might have to be rested (as opposed to being dropped)to let the others play so when we do need those fringe players to come in they're ready.

Does anyone know whether the D/R arrangement with Hunslet is still in place? There's some quality players needing game time who could do a good job for them, especially with the position they're in. 

Archived