Toulouse

rooster2003

The team just has no ideas how to play ,one man rugby is all we will get .very pedestrian backs .

I do believe we will finish out of the top half

As rooster said we battered teams like this and Rochdale would be quaking in there boots coming to craven park

Good times will come again with the don Johnston name sake and look alike in charge

Sorry guys but we lost to a better team today, they looked dangerous every time they carried the ball.  Our defence was as bad as the referee was, but at the end of the day they were a class act.     Still,    onwards and upwards.

To be fair I thought we would get beat but not the stuffing we got today .... the ref was appalling and helped to keep the Toulouse score ticking over but we were simply not in the same league. All I can say is the guys gave it 100% out there ..... we are a long way off being good enough to compete against relegation if we were to be promoted...negative I know but being realistic :-(

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Have to disagree withe comments about the ref. He made one bad decision that I saw when they dropped the ball and he guessed and gave it as a rip out by Barrow and they scored in the resultant set. He was going back 11-12 meters and Toulouse for the most part were back the 10 but it didn't stop the endless shouts of get them behind you - the lines are a good guide (and we were just as much trespassing inside the 10 as them). There were several passes that seemed forward and which weren't called as such but that was the same for both teams - and don't forget the level we are playing at, we should not expect Super League performances nor should we expect Super League referees. Throwing the ball into touch, missing tackles etc are the things we should be concerned about not whether the referee made a couple of calls we may not agree with.

I thought we were not as bad as I had dreaded and not as good as I hoped. Had we been able to score in the first half when we had so much possession then our confidence would have been up and theirs down - but we were very poor anywhere near their line until the last quarter. In fairness we did not give up trying, the effort was there just not the quality in attack or defence.

How did the stand off Jonathan Ford play ? Last week at Hunslet he murdered us with his long/ short passes, kicking and vision, just about the best stand off ive seen in the lower leagues for many a year.Absolute quality.

How did the stand off Jonathan Ford play ? Last week at Hunslet he murdered us with his long/ short passes, kicking and vision, just about the best stand off ive seen in the lower leagues for many a year.Absolute quality.

He had a great game, best player to come to craven park for last few years, well backed up by their full back.

Far too good for this league

What we saw was the differance between a full time team without salary cap against a part-time keeping to that cap. Next season Toulouse will be in the higher league to be replaced by another full time, Toronto meaning we either spend what we can't afford breaching the cap or find ourselves fighting for the one singe promotion place, the RFL vision of expansion is commendable but not at the expense of the many clubs just like ours.

PS The ref was a shocker

Toulouse are the best side I have seen this year, closely followed by Rochdale.

I had hoped that the travel would make the difference and Barrow would win.Clearly not.

We have to be patient and recognise that WHEN promotion comes it has to be sustainable. That is the key,

Players, Coaches and even Boards of Directors come and go. They are all transient, the only constant is the fans.

If "blame" is to be aportioned then its not the players and definitely not the referees, the ones to blame are the absent fans.

I know it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation, everyone wants to see a winning team and that's what the fans will flock to see. Castleford is an example of how a small town can compete and Barrow can and should be able to match that.

So, how can we get our mates to come along to watch the Raiders and want to come again even if the team loses?

The answer has got to be in the "experience". Everything has to be a positive.

If the opposition score don't go into a sulk, big up their effort "Wow what a try, that was worth the admission money alone to see skillss like that"

We have to create a party atmosphere.

If we can each get one mate to come and then they can bring along a mate next time BECAUSE they want to share their experience of having a laugh, we could soon start seeing gates of 3 or 4 thousand and that would give us the clout to make a sustained promotion push.

Here is another idea how about picking a game and making it a ladies day.

Tell the Boss that you are going to treat her and her mate (she can bring her husband too and he can pay hers) to a slap up lunch, followed by the game then take her out for a meal after the game.

If the crowd you stand or sit with with all do the same you can create a mini party and just make it a good day out. Remember, it's not about seeing a winning team it's about having a good day out. No one goes to Twickenham to see a good game they go because it's an occasion.

Let's try and create a buzz about the event then when we lose by one point to Wigan or Saints we can blame that " bdooly referee".

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

No wonder many of us have stopped posting on this site, all we get is the same old tired excuse of "The Ref was Shocking!"

We are a division one side and we will get division one referees, live with it!

He mad a couple of mistakes but tell me the last time any of you watched a Super League match where the referee got every single decision right (even with the ability to refer virtually any decision to the Video Ref).

The defending team does not have to stand behind the referee, they simply have to be 10m back.

Some referees, this one included like to stand a metre or so further back so as to be able to see the defending line.

We simply were not good enough, Toulouse were better than us in every aspect of the game and thoroughly deserved their victory.

The only posative I could take from the game was the Barrow attitude in the last 15 mins when it looked to all the world that they would score  a minimum of 50 or 60 points.

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I must admit I always thought the ref judged the 10 mtrs, and all players must be behind him, if not I cannot see how it would work, if the play the ball is not on a line the defenders have no way of judjing it, also if a player was just in front of ref on each side, as happened yesterday he would see nothing, as happened yesterday, on one occasion there were 6 players in front of him, I just cannot see how this can work. At one time the ref used to look both ways to check.

Mike, I pay my £15 and if I want to criticise the ref I will .... nobody is going to tell me to stop. He was shocking for both sides... for example he missed at least 4 Barrow forward passes

I totally agree we are a Champ 1 side and look like being one for some time to come .. so look forward to visiting Toronto et al

Rons post was spot on but im afraid the core supporters have been the core supporters for the last 20 or so years ... the only way of upping the crowd size is a winning side and to be a winning side we would overstretch the budget we have at the moment.

Lee Morton

What we saw was the differance between a full time team without salary cap against a part-time keeping to that cap. Next season Toulouse will be in the higher league to be replaced by another full time, Toronto meaning we either spend what we can't afford breaching the cap or find ourselves fighting for the one singe promotion place, the RFL vision of expansion is commendable but not at the expense of the many clubs just like ours.

PS The ref was a shocker

They shouldn't be in League One but if they were put straight into a higher division then even more people would be complaining. Not sure what else the RFL can do TBH.

The answer is pretty simple, by all means allow clubs like Toulouse into Champ 1, but here is the controversial line, make sure they are expected to abide by the exact same salary cap as every other Champ 1 club. 

did anyone else see the piece about yesterdays incompetent ref complaining about the amount of seagull poo on the pitch before kick off ... I did wonder why they were sweeping parts of the pitch before kick off!!

Lee Morton

did anyone else see the piece about yesterdays incompetent ref complaining about the amount of seagull poo on the pitch before kick off ... I did wonder why they were sweeping parts of the pitch before kick off!!

The BOD must try to get a NO FLY ZONE / PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SH*^#ING ON OUR PITCH put in place!

You couldn't make this up !

Guess what Lee, I pay my £15 as well and if I want to criticise people who blame the referee for poor team performances, I will .... nobody's going to tell me to stop!

Mike Liversedge

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

The answer is pretty simple, by all means allow clubs like Toulouse into Champ 1, but here is the controversial line, make sure they are expected to abide by the exact same salary cap as every other Champ 1 club. 

Toulouse are playing to the League 1 cap, they had to release some players to fit under the cap including one who has since gone on to make his NRL debut. I believe their team yesterday had three teenagers and an average age of 22, so they aren't players on big money. Toronto obviously will exceed the cap but I don't know how it would be able to work otherwise with players having to relocate to a different country. Maybe they could increase the League 1 cap so other teams can compete but the bottom line is that these clubs are too big for the division, but as things stand there isn't really any other way of introducing them as long as you want to keep P&R.

criticise away Mike but it wont stop me griping about poor decision making either ;-)

Lee Morton

Archived