The 2016 European Championships (football)

Starts on Friday.

We've won all the warm ups, so logically England will win it.

Seriously though, if Alli, Kane, Vardy etc all get a good go, and Rooney doesnt keep getting in the way, we could do ok.

Germany must be favourites. Spain are in transition but have quality.

My shout? France. Unless they all hate each other again and go on strike.

Dark Horses: Belgium. Good individuals, and they usually pull together at national level too.

We could have a sweepstake, just for a bit of fun. Anyone in? I have paper (to cut into slips), a printer and a velvet bag...

24 teams, so say if you're interested.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Put my name in the hat for the sweepstake.

Seems that most money is heading towards France, Spain or Germany.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Well, if I get enough names by the end of the week, I'll do a draw. If I get less than 24, but enough for fun, then those knocked out early will be re-drawn for any remaining teams.

If not, I'll plughole it and someone else can decide whether or not it is worth the effort.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Four people so far. Ho hum.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dark Horses: Belgium. Good individuals, and they usually pull together at national level too.

We could have a sweepstake, just for a bit of fun. Anyone in? I have paper (to cut into slips), a printer and a velvet bag...

Belgium are hardly dark horses aren't they ranked no1 in the world or at least have been recently.

And me

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

I'm not sure I agree with your view on the Belgian team's history - certainly not between about 1990 and 2013 and I am still not convinced Wilmots has forged the best team out of the current crop of players. Still, it is a good crop. They have a tough group though.

Put me down for the sweep.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I'll join in the sweep.

I don't mind following the results, just as long as I'm not expected to watch the flipping thing. :rolleyes:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Go on then Futtocks, you can have a go for a change.

Count me in.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

Looks like we've got enough to make it worth it. I'll set the cut-off point at the end of Thursday and make the draw on Friday.

15 people are in so far; if we get more than 24, some of you will have to share.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can't say I know too much about football outside of England I'm afraid so I can only comment on the state of our national side and our likely chances. 

I'm quite pleased with the ways things are going at the moment and hopeful for the Euros. I've always quite liked Hodgson and he seems to have us playing to our strengths. We're never going to out pass these sides but we look genuinely dangerous and quick on the break. The game against Portugal wasn't great but there have been glimpses that we could do well in the other games I've seen.

We'd need a fair bit of luck but I think we're well overdue a good tournament where things go our way a bit. I said during the last tournament that we were well overdue a poor showing, we had a ridiculous record of something like 11 consecutive World Cups where we'd got out the groups. Only Brazil and Germany could say the same. The inverse is also true. Tournaments come around every now and again where you over achieve, this could very well be that one. 

1990 was one such example. Much is made of this tournament from an English perspective but it came after our worst ever tournament showing in 1988 and contained a great deal of luck. IIRC Belgium hit the post 2 or 3 times in the second round and Cameroon probably should have beaten us. 

Then there is the issue of penalty shootouts. We have probably the worst record in the world with a win loss ratio of 1:5. Imagine if we had a record of 3:3; we'd have a much better record in tournaments and maybe even a win. I suppose it depends on whether you think they are luck based or skill based. Personally, I think England have a mental issue but that they are still mainly luck. Netherlands and Italy are two national teams with poor records and I don't think they lack skill. 

I'm really looking forward to it even if I think the move to 24 teams has diluted what was probably the best standard international tournament in the world. With 16 teams there was no easy games. 

Am I in, Futtocks?

If not, well, it's my thread, I started it, so you can all jeff off home and nobody else can play.

If I am, then Hurray! Im England**, Im captain, Im Bobby Charcoal and Beckham and Kevin Keegan and we're going to win!!

** I dont mind really however you ...ahem... "draw" the teams, but just remember at the last world Cup you palmed me off with some right no-hopers** who didn't get through the group.

** No, not England. Some other no-hopers.

Am I in, Futtocks?

If not, well, it's my thread, I started it, so you can all jeff off home and nobody else can play.

If I am, then Hurray! Im England**, Im captain, Im Bobby Charcoal and Beckham and Kevin Keegan and we're going to win!!

** I dont mind really however you ...ahem... "draw" the teams, but just remember at the last world Cup you palmed me off with some right no-hopers** who didn't get through the group.

** No, not England. Some other no-hopers.

You're in. The luck of the draw, however, is the luck of the draw.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Include me in please

might just give me an incentive to follow the results

more fun than buying an England flag for my car that I will need to remove afterabout a week

If I am lucky enough to draw Albania where can I get the appropriate car flag as I have no plans to visit Tirana until they play proper football

Archived