Hillsborough Inquest update

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hands up if you're shocked.

I'm shocked that the Liverpool victims managed to get this inquest, not shocked at what's being revealed about the police hiding stuff, lying and being generally incompetent.  

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I'm shocked that the Liverpool victims managed to get this inquest, not shocked at what's being revealed about the police hiding stuff, lying and being generally incompetent.  

That's whinging scousers for you

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

The ESPN Hillsborough doc is worth watching although it's still not legal for broadcast in England.

Google it though, it's sometimes up on YouTube.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Really?

Seriously one of the worst posts I've read on here in the last decade.

sorry, should've explained. It was in response to a quote from a previous hillsborough thread. 

• s

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

Scepticism (by me included) about scousers and their motives for anything and everything they always whinge about. 

Caught by a feckin speed camera. try these I did and it saved me a heap o money and penalty points.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

David Duckenfield finally admits to lying to David Kelly: 

Ms Lambert asks: "Which dreadful mistake are you referring to?"

He [David Duckenfield] says not telling Mr Kelly he had opened the gates.

Ms Lambert says: "Do you consider now that you told them a lie?"

H says: "Yes, ma'am."

He says: "I certainly now appreciate it was wrong and completely open to misinterpretation."

He says that occurred to him as soon as they had gone.

He says: "I was in a situation that I was totally untrained for, totally unprecedented - I make no excuses, I was the man who did it - but I faced a difficult situation."

He says Mr Kelly came in and asked what was happening.

He says someone said to shut the door and keep people out because they couldn't get on.

He says: "I was probably deeply ashamed, embarrassed, greatly distressed and I probably didn't want to admit to myself or anyone else, what the situation is.
"What I would like to say the Liverpool families is this, I regret that omission and I shall regret it to my dying day.
"I said something rather hurriedly, without considering the position, without thinking of the consequences and the trauma, the heartache and distress that the inference would have caused to those people who were already in a deep state of shock, who were distressed."

He says: "I apologise unreservedly to the families and I hope they believe it is a very, very sincere apology."

From: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/live-david-duckenfield-evidence-hillsborough-8814522

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

and a quote from mr duckenfield, yesterday

'I'm a very honest person. I don't tell lies. I don't mislead. I set very, very high standards, not only in myself, but my colleagues in the service and my family.

really?

finally, after nearly 26 years....

Mr Greaney says: "Do you agree with the following?

"People died in a crush in the central pens?"

Mr Duckenfield says yes.

Mr Greaney says: "That if they had not been permitted to flow down the tunnel into those central pens that would not have occurred?"

Mr Duckenfield says yes.

Mr Greaney says: "That closing the tunnel would have prevented that and therefore would have prevented the tragedy?"

Mr Duckenfield says yes.

Mr Greaney says: "That you failed to recognise that there was a need to close that tunnel?"

Mr Duckenfield says yes.

Mr Greaney says: "And therefore, failed to take steps to achieve that?"

Mr Duckenfield says yes.

Mr Greaney says: "That failure was the direct cause of the deaths of 96 persons in the Hillsborough tragedy?"

Mr Duckenfield says: "Yes, sir."

Mr Duckenfield agrees a person can lack experience but step up to the mark.

He says the view that he was "incompetent" is a view some people would share.

Whilst that is undoubtedly the truth at last, it is only part of the truth. One man finally admits to tragic mistakes that cost the lives of so many, but what happened next?

The deliberate cover-up, the misinformation, the false impressions conveyed to a public and a media all too willing to trust what they were told by the authorities.

Whilst that is undoubtedly the truth at last, it is only part of the truth. One man finally admits to tragic mistakes that cost the lives of so many, but what happened next?

The deliberate cover-up, the misinformation, the false impressions conveyed to a public and a media all too willing to trust what they were told by the authorities.

Quite.

The deliberate besmirching of the dead, the bereaved, the survivors.  For more than twenty years.

The inquest set up to exonerate the authorities and ignore any suggestion that many of the 96 could have been - and should have been - saved.

Duckenfeld's admission that he's human is barely even scratching the surface of what makes Hillsborough so grotesque.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm having a (respectful) discussion with someone on facebook about this (a friend of a friend). He is still unwittingly regurgitating untruths that were peddled 25 years ago and are still embedded in the national psyche due to the relentless efforts of people in charge of the event and the country. Mrs T had an agenda that was pro-police and anti-football and she and her government were complicit in the lying narrative that followed. Labour's shameful mock inquiry that followed the 1997 election victory shows that all parties could be guilty of failing the 96 and their families. Don't get me started on the press.

I can actually forgive some of the original mistakes - we are all human and we should be able to empathise with someone whose mistake was so catastrophic. However the subsequent cover-up, denial and lies are not forgivable. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Due to the stringent restrictions outlined by the coroner for the Hillsborough inquest all I will say is, about ###### time.

I can actually forgive some of the original mistakes - we are all human and we should be able to empathise with someone whose mistake was so catastrophic. However the subsequent cover-up, denial and lies are not forgivable.

Nail on head Tim

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Archived