Our league within a league

Dave Naylor

The plan for this year is consolidation and Scott has said words to the effect that if we finish the season third from bottom that in itself will be an achievement.  The Championship is a league made up of three sections: the super league wannabes, the championship established and the newbies + teams from the bottom end of the table last year.  

If the short-term objective is survival, the medium-term one should be to establish ourselves in the middle section of the league.  Who knows, after beating Dewsbury and competing against Featherstone that could be achieved this year but to effect the short-term consolidation we need to be taking as many points as possible from Workington, Whitehaven and Swinton, whom we're likely to be playing four times this year.

This weekend we take on Bradford at home.   Current form would suggest it's going to be difficult to come away with a result against the Bulls and on the same weekend Swinton travel up to bottom placed Whitehaven; I'd fancy them to gain their first win.  If that scenario plays out and despite the presence of Sammut, Workington fail to beat Batley at Mount Pleasant,  we'll could drop a league place with Swinton leapfrogging us on points difference.

I can't work out whether I'd like Whitehaven to beat Swinton to stop them from gaining an advantage over us or whether Swinton beating Whitehaven would ensure the Cumbrian teams stay rooted at the foot of the table.

Looking at the season as a whole, we need to be in the best position possible when the league splits and we'll then have seven games against comparable opposition to decide our destiny. 

Good fun all this :)

For me it's a throw back to the old first division in the nineties as you had Wigan Widnes Leeds as full time and the rest were semi pro. In those days a surprise still could happen, just maybe Bradford could underestimate us......dare to dream boys dare to dream

We have certainly not been embarrassed by anyone so far and i don't expect us to be. As Dave said above, we need to take as many points as possible from Workington, Whitehaven and Swinton, home and away and then grab as many points as we can from our home games, maybe even pinch the odd victory away! After the Dewsbury game and performances so far, I'm confident we will do enough to stay up. As Clifford says if anyone turns up complacent, they may well get a shock.

I'd rest some of our key players  say Grimshaw and Owen and give any fringe players a run out given we've got Workington next

Hopefully Naylor will play the long game and 'tinker' to make the best of what he's got

I'd rest some of our key players say Grimshaw and Owen and give any fringe players a run out given we've got Workington next

Hopefully Naylor will play the long game and 'tinker' to make the best of what he's got

Grimshaw is injured for the rest of the season

Edit: Briscoe

Grimmer isnt injured, only Briscoe ruled out for the season and we dont know yet about Ashy and Files, probably get an update on injuries etc later on or tomorrow after training tonight. We havnt really got any fringe players as such with having such a small squad,might see a change in the wingers though as i thought Chisholm was poor at Fev, play the full first choice team and give Bradford the respect they deserve and our lads a chance to play against the big boys. We may get injuries but thats part of the game. I dont think Nobby will rest players just because its Bradford,although he usually picks horses for courses,but i do see your point,bit of a no win situation for us really.

At the end of the season, things could be a bit tight so points difference could come into it.  A team with a better defence may be one to remain in the Championship.  If we hadn't had that little 15 minute blip at Leigh, we'd have leaked fewer points.  I say we put out our best team available and if the Bulls want two points, we make them pay the iron price.  

So Whitehaven beat Swinton 18-12.  Looks like two teams cancelled each other out and the home side just edged it.

Good result for us as a barometer for the season.  We need to take points off both those sides and if they are on a par with each other, that's a good sign for our chances.

I would not look into that game too much, from a haven point of view we did not play very well at all and credit to Swinton they look a handy team at times. I must stress that the game was ruined by yet another heavy pitch up in west cumbria and a penalty count in the game of 28 which is disgraceful the only thing we can't wait for at the min is to play on harder pitches as last week haven trained once all week because of the state of the pitches in Cumbria. As I said earlier come the middle of summer is when the whole league will get a real glimpse of where teams are going to finish not after 4 games good luck today to you guys by the way

There are no easy games in this league and anyone can beat anyone on their day it's unpredictable, but I have been very impressed with how you guys have started the season u look well up for it and it's good to see always had a bit of a soft spot for Oldham had a lot of good games with u guys

After todays non event lol, looking at the fixtures there are 3 massive games for us coming up in the league, Worky (a),Fax (h), Swinton (a). Could do with two wins out of the three. Every game is a test and Cumbria is never easy to go to,but im fairly confident we can get a result as we can at Swinton also. Fax aint started the season well so could be an either way type of game. 4 points out of these 3 will certainly help the cause and possibly create a bit of a buffer between the bottom two as it stands. Its great to be back in this league,results are certainly unpredictable and it is probably the most competitive division full stop. Looking forward to the trip up to Worky next week. Up the Yeds!

Worky away.  It's Sunday night so I'll tell a tale :)

When we got beat by Warrington in the Challenge Cup semi, the one involving Lordy's disallowed try, our very next game was Worky away in midweek.  I was on a residential course in Crewe and I had no car with me.  To get to the game I had to make up a story to get me out of the course early in the afternoon.  I walked into Crewe, hired a car and drove all the way there alone, watched us win and then dropped the car off at the hire place at lord knows what time before walking back to my digs :)

Next Sunday, Google maps tells me that the best way is to head east to the A1, straight up to Scotch Corner and then track across the A66.  Can't wait!

Workington is the start of the tournament to my my mind. The games so far have been warm ups and the Dewsbury win a bonus. As long as we focus on the performance and keep our heads we will win. Looking at the worky forum they're predicting a home win, don't know if that's more from hope than expectation but I hope they're wrong.

Workington is the start of the tournament to my my mind. The games so far have been warm ups and the Dewsbury win a bonus. As long as we focus on the performance and keep our heads we will win. Looking at the worky forum they're predicting a home win, don't know if that's more from hope than expectation but I hope they're wrong.

certainly not hope marra. You have to remember last year we made the playoffs with this side, weve started poorly but given the lack of pre season prep due to a good half dozen of our starters having ops, including sammut. I know were in a relegation battle with haven yourselves and swinton but id be very shocked if its not the 2 new clubs who drop straight back down.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Archived