Sent to Coventry

Bearman

So it's back to Coventry on the 12th of March!

I thought the fixtures were announced at 7 pm.

The Bears fixtures are on their website www.coventrybears.com

No trip to Barrow but a trip to Canada to look forward to.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Coventry (a) 12/3

Hemel (h) 25/3

Workington(h) 8/4

Newcastle(a) 14/4

S.Wales (h) 6/5

Keighley (a) 14/5

Toronto (a) 20/5

Hunslet (h) 3/6

Doncaster(a)11/6

N.Wales (h)17/6

London (a) 24/6

Gloucester (h)1/7

Oxford (h)8/7

Haven (a) 16/7

No York fixture,no Welsh trip...but Toronto trip is on

It's a hard draw for the Raiders in terms of playing Toronto.

Toronto have home games against Coventry, Glos, Hemel,and Oxford.

That means they play the harder teams away giving our main competitors home advantage against arguably the strongest team in the league.

And crucially home advantage when playing the Raiders and Hunslet who are the only top teams that play them there.

I see they have signed Kurt Haggerty too, but he is supposed to be non playing and on the coaching staff.

Ron Banks

I still find it totally absurd we only play each team once (either home or away) in phase 1 of the season .... how on earth can that be fair and sporting its a bloody mess only in RL does it happen!!!

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

I still find it totally absurd we only play each team once (either home or away) in phase 1 of the season .... how on earth can that be fair and sporting its a bloody mess only in RL does it happen!!!

totally wrong pal you lot seem to play all the better teams away from home whereas us at haven play all the better teams at home there's no way in the world that's a fair system

totally wrong pal you lot seem to play all the better teams away from home whereas us at haven play all the better teams at home there's no way in the world that's a fair system

Agreed. Home advantage against the better teams is a huge plus. Playing them on their midden is much tougher.

Ron Banks

Barrow were the second best supported team behind Toulouse last season. Next year, apart from the game against Workington, what is there in that list that can possibly attract spectators to Craven Park? It looks as though there will be no need for the club to worry about accommodating visiting supporters. It's hard to shake off the idea that League One is nothing more than a vehicle to get first Toulouse and now Toronto up towards Super League ASAP. What is wrong with home and away-champions go up; two to five play-off? If that view makes me a grump then I can live with myself.

Saturday Nights at 6-30 no good to me whatsoever. I've completely wasted my money on a season ticket, when trying to help out when they were out with the usual close season begging bowl. At no time, to my knowledge anyway, was returning to Saturday Evenings mentioned until reading the fixtures yesterday. I recall someone asking the question on the facebook page quite recently about Saturday's, with a reply from a club representative being something like - nothing planned at present. My plans are already made, i won't be racing around on a Saturday Evening to get to Craven Park after being at work, season ticket or no season ticket.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it!

Steve W

I make it seven away games and seven home games as we've been awarded a home bye* v the absent York, according to League Weekly.

Assume the Season Ticket will reflect this but what happens if they (York) are then admitted, and there's an eighth home game; what a nightmare scenario for all club's commercial / financial staff.

David Taylor

@750VFR

Only 3 home games look anywhere near being competitive, Workington, Hunslet and North Wales. The rest look like gimmes. Not a lot of enjoyment in watching a team run 50-60 or 70 points in at half canter.

And not on a Saturday evening. This has never been mentioned. When was it decided?

I can see it being beneficial to the players who at least get some part of the weekend to relax. But I thought some discussion would have been evident.

With this RL Executive Committee if you are not Super League, or potential to be, you are nothing.

Same with the Challenge Cup. No team outside the Super League will ever have the opportunity to cause an upset or win it again. All banana skins are eliminated prior to the final 8 teams. The top 8 Super League teams then come to the table and take the cream and the financial benefits.

It's about as much of a level playing field as Batley's ground!

Typical RFL shambles. If you employ someone as a roofer for example, are you going to be happy not only letting him have the time off to go traipsing to Toronto but also risk him doing a dangerous job on his return when jet-lagged? They should stop any pretence of it being a level playing field and put Toronto straight into Super League where the players in the main don't have the same demands work wise. I wonder where Sky will next tell Mr Woods to start a team? ( He is the nodding churchill dog in the back of the Sky limousine - can we have a team in Canada - OOOOOHH Yes). There is no way this has been done for the good of rugby league as a whole.

As regards Saturday evenings I don't have a problem but realise that some will, but others who couldn't manage Sundays will benefit. The bar takings should improve. I don't work in BAE but others who do tell me that getting from work to a Saturday evening k.o. may be a rush but that a Sunday is impossible. The board are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Other factors such as the availability of a suitably qualified doctor also come into it.

The crowd figures will tell.

I make it seven away games and seven home games as we've been awarded a home bye* v the absent York, according to League Weekly.

Assume the Season Ticket will reflect this but what happens if they (York) are then admitted, and there's an eighth home game; what a nightmare scenario for all club's commercial / financial staff.

The York fixture will go into the bye week slot.

It looks like York have nearly sorted themselves out.

Ron Banks

how can a team have more home games than away?????????? its a playing field as level as a ploughed field

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

how can a team have more home games than away?????????? its a playing field as level as a ploughed field

It's a ridiculous format,why not just play each other home & away,that's 30 games with the league winners going up and the next 4 playing off for the remaining promotion place and scrap the I pro cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not get how the fixtures in your division are worked out. Barrow are a traditional Club who i respect. Feel sorry for you having to play poor teams. And like i say the fixture set up is very odd. Barrow and sadly, Toronto will be the main 2 in Championship 1 2017.

Archived