Message For Mark Las Palmas

LOWFIELD

Two Cumbrian teams ,Ellenborough Rangers and Egremont Rangers, made it to the last 16 in 1998, with Ellenborough knocking defeating Bramley and Hunslet before facing Hull Sharks in the last 16.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

Two Cumbrian teams ,Ellenborough Rangers and Egremont Rangers, made it to the last 16 in 1998, with Ellenborough knocking defeating Bramley and Hunslet before facing Hull Sharks in the last 16.

pretty sure rovers beat that

pretty sure rovers beat that

if my memory serves me right, we were the first amateur team to reach the third round, beating widnes along the way before losing 3 nil to Kieghley

joe mullaney is a god

the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

oldrover.gif

if my memory serves me right, we were the first amateur team to reach the third round, beating widnes along the way before losing 3 nil to Kieghley

wist the press would stop printing false facts if mark confirms this and the year il email them and put them right

Well, yes Lowfield you are right mate. Featherstone Rovers are the ONLY amateur side EVER to reach the quarter finals of the Challenge cup. It was an amazing feat and they managed it in 1906 after just four seasons in the junior leagues. They beat BRookland, Keighley and Widnes on the way and went out to Hull I think. Dont quote me on that though Ill have to look it up.

Featherstone Rovers in 1905/06 Challenge Cup.

Qualifying Round: Featherstone 61 Woolley Collieries 2

Preliminary Round: FEatherstone 8 Otley 5

1st Round (last 32): Featherstone 16 Brookland 5

2nd Round (last 16): Featherstone 23 Widnes 2

3rd Round (QF last 8 ) : Keighley 3 Featherstone 0

Never before, never since.

Featherstone Rovers in 1905/06 Challenge Cup.

Qualifying Round: Featherstone 61 Woolley Collieries 2

Preliminary Round: FEatherstone 8 Otley 5

1st Round (last 32): Featherstone 16 Brookland 5

2nd Round (last 16): Featherstone 23 Widnes 2

3rd Round (QF last 8 ) : Keighley 3 Featherstone 0

Never before, never since.

got one right, whoo hoo

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

As you know Mark I have been watching the Rovers since 1939. One name that keeps coming into my mind is Happy Jacobs. I am sure he was my dad's favourite player. He must have been before my time as I can't remember him.  . Can you enlighten me? Cheers

As you know Mark I have been watching the Rovers since 1939. One name that keeps coming into my mind is Happy Jacobs. I am sure he was my dad's favourite player. He must have been before my time as I can't remember him. . Can you enlighten me? Cheers

I may regret this.....

But here goes..

Right col.... In 1939 you can't have been more than 5-6 years old. Who first took you to watch fev then?

How did that person identify with fev?

I'm genuinely interested colin. ..

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I may regret this.....

But here goes..

Right col.... In 1939 you can't have been more than 5-6 years old. Who first took you to watch fev then?

How did that person identify with fev?

I'm genuinely interested colin. ..

I cant speak for Colin obviously but there were a lot of youngsters who would go to the Hip on a Saturday afternoom when it was cheap for kids. Then after the film they would go down to POst Office Road and get for nowt after half-time in the rugby. That's how my dad started in the forties. His dad (my grandad) wasn't interested, but as a big group of kids they'd all go up there together on their own. Different times.

I cant speak for Colin obviously but there were a lot of youngsters who would go to the Hip on a Saturday afternoom when it was cheap for kids. Then after the film they would go down to POst Office Road and get for nowt after half-time in the rugby. That's how my dad started in the forties. His dad (my grandad) wasn't interested, but as a big group of kids they'd all go up there together on their own. Different times.

i was one of those hip to rovers kids in the early 50s. they used to open the gates at half time.

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

Well Robin I was 5 and I went with my Dad. He was a Featherstone miner and a true Fev lad. We lived in Marlborough Terrace when I was a baby, then Featherstone Square (Come down stacks on a bit of brattishing or you can't play with us) and then Scarborough Terrace. He played as an amateur mainly for Knottingley as a young man. He would have been 39 when he took me. Times were hard and I went in under his overcoat. I didn't understand why at the time but have had many a laugh about it since. After that I was a fervent supporter and went with him  to every home match. We couldn't afford to go away but when I got older I went to every match until I played for the under 18's and then National Service in Egypt.  I did occasionally go to the threepenny rush at the Hip. Three to a seat. Bob Greenwood kept an eye on us. We as kids played on the field at half time, on the Rec at the bottom of PO Road and Purston Park and then over the Hilly Field and away we wen t but not on match days. Been to every cup final we took part in. Used to go to training sessions as a lad as well. I could go on for a long time. We lived in a back to back house and I did most of my studying by gaslight. My dad was called David and his dad was called Emmanuel. My mother was a Horobin. You said you were interested I hope this helps. Col.

I am col... and no I'm not taking the P!

Social history. Given your age and tour dad age, your dad must have been about roughly the same time that rugby league was in its infancy and certainly since rovers were in an embryonic stage.

Given most now follow the team of their fathers, your dad wouldn't have been in that position.....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I forgot to mention the Jubilee Fields. There could have been five or six games going on at once in my youth. Incidentally mention 'midden' to anybody under fifty and they have no idea what you are talking about. Back to back house for over 20 years studying by gaslight and running around with Provident cheques trying to afford my King's School uniform. Kept on trying and slowly achieving. End result senior bank manager via being a miner, a railway clerk, a soldier, and a banker. BA(Hons) ACIB, and I am still a Fev lad. Tha Naws. People think they have it hard these days, they have no idea. No NHS, only compo, poor wages, and struggling along. Non flush toilets across the yard. Recently showed kids at school how to make a paper aeroplane, a paper boat, and a kite. No money you had to be inventive. They were gobsmacked. I'll say no more as I will be in trouble.

Dad was a fast runner and very athletic in his youth. A smashed knee at the pit ended that. Don't forget there were very strong class distinctions in those days so it was very much jobs for the boys. The others had to struggle on and prove everything twice.

I don't think the Rovers have ever been an amateur team. They were a junior club until1921. I seem to recall reading they were the best paid juniors in the good old days.

Junior/amateur/non-league, call it what you like. Regardless of what you recall reading in the newspapers, in those days any junior 'club', ie not senior members of the NU/RFL are classed the same as amateurs.

Junior/amateur/non-league, call it what you like. Regardless of what you recall reading in the newspapers, in those days any junior 'club', ie not senior members of the NU/RFL are classed the same as amateurs.

Any joy with Happy Jacobs, Mark? Dad mentioned him a lot in the old days.

Any joy with Happy Jacobs, Mark? Dad mentioned him a lot in the old days.

he went sadly crackers Colin

joe mullaney is a god

oldrover.gif

He was OK. Have you never heard of JACOBS WELL. His wife had a bit of trouble with her stockings hence JACOBS LADDER. But he got over it and they called him Happy Jacobs. I wonder who the heck he was! Hope you are Ok OR.

Yeah, check the rubbish the gurnard wrote about Rovers' 86 Halifax game

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/no-helmets-required/2016/mar/23/featherstone-rovers-championship-table

I remember it well, second hand. My brother-in-law was sports editor at the Halifax Courier at the time, and he told me about a discussion he had in the Plummet Line pub with the Fax coach Chris Anderson and their scrum half Garry Stephens, the former Cas & Wigan player. They were talking about an elite league to get rid of small town clubs like Featherstone and replace them with big-town clubs (you can hardly call Halifax, Cas & Wakey big towns).

Stephens was said to remark something like "It's depressing to go to Feathersone, passing all them terraced houses and playing at that poverty struck little ground. Trouble is, most of the time we have to come away from that ****** little place after getting beat."

From a Cas lad, that must be the case of the pot calling the kettle black, especially if you bring the clock forward to the present day.

Archived