Anfield - Never again please

I was really looking forward to experiencing Anfield for the 4 Nations final........... What a massive let-down.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to regularly sit in the tiny seats in the Lower Centenary Stand...... I'm only 5'8" but my knees were crushed against the seats in front and the poor lady in front had to be extremely patient...... The room at either side of me was non-existent and totally unacceptable.

It may be a fine looking stadium, but for comfort, atmosphere and sound system.......... Simply not good enough.

Give me Newcastle anyday - Thank heavens that Anfield wasn't chosen for Magic Weekend

A bit harsh but I do sympathise from a comfort point of view as I felt the same in the kop. It reminded me of Elland road, which is similarly bad.

Newcastle is certainly better

I think Liverpool was chosen as a strategic decision rather than for amenities.

It's important for Rugby League to secure the major northern cities and Manchester and Liverpool pretty much hold the battle line against union.

What I don't get is, tens of thousands of football fans are using these venues week in week out (and often paying 100 quid to do so!), I don't see them complaining.

Why then does the RL fan, who has paid 15 quid to be there, feel he has the right then to complain??

We were in the main stand lower,which although cosy was close to the action and nearly all the tries went in at our end,a lot better experience than being one of the thousands waiting in line for a bus back into the city centre.

Should have come for a couple of pints with us Davo, went into The Park pub behind the Kop and while it was busy everyone seemed to be getting served pretty quick - well we did, left between 6:00 and 6:30 and about 2 mins wait for a service bus from right outside back to Lime Street, bus driver really helpful in telling us which stop to get off. Loads of West Cumbrians in too, which may or may not be a good thing.

As for the ground, bit limited for space but I think the good far outweighed the bad, really enjoyed it and would love to go back for another big game

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

What I don't get is, tens of thousands of football fans are using these venues week in week out (and often paying 100 quid to do so!), I don't see them complaining.

Why then does the RL fan, who has paid 15 quid to be there, feel he has the right then to complain??

So because plenty of people are willing to put up with a poor stadium we don't have the right to complain? They put up with it because if they don't go someone else will. I said the same as the OP in the match thread. I won't be returning to Anfield in a hurry. And for your information I paid for full price tickets and then got mugged by the RFL who sold tickets for 40% less that's why I have a right to complain.

rldfsignature.jpg

I paid £30 for a main stand seat and as I've said elsewhere in the forum would go back tomorrow.

Facilities were very good. Queuing time was minimal at the food and drink outlets, staff were incredibly friendly and the view from the seat was excellent.

Parked in the city centre and got the train to Sandhills and Soccer bus transfer. All very smooth. If it had been a mid-season game I'd have walked it.

The area around the ground is still poor but with the ongoing regeneration will get better. 

Having a short pitch was an issue, I agree with the safety aspect but a small pitch and minimum in goal areas is not great for a Test match IMO.

Its compromising the game.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Having a short pitch was an issue, I agree with the safety aspect but a small pitch and minimum in goal areas is not great for a Test match IMO.

Its compromising the game.

I completely agree.  Every major sport which I can think of has uniform markings for their fields/courts/rinks, and from what I've seen so does RL in Australia, New Zealand and France.  British RL has to get away from this willingness to just make do with venues which cannot accommodate a full-length field of play or close enough to it (95 metres mininum) so that standard field markings of equidistant, solid, numbered lines can be employed to give the sport a uniform look around the world.

I completely agree.  Every major sport which I can think of has uniform markings for their fields/courts/rinks, and from what I've seen so does RL in Australia, New Zealand and France.  British RL has to get away from this willingness to just make do with venues which cannot accommodate a full-length field of play or close enough to it (95 metres mininum) so that standard field markings of equidistant, solid, numbered lines can be employed to give the sport a uniform look around the world.

I can only think of the Etihad of all the major grounfds in the north of England which could cater for a full size rugby pitch and still have the run off area to suit the Aussie's wishes.

i have a liverpool season ticket for the lower main stand its a dam sight better now after the rebuild i think its a fantastic stadium and with football its all about getting as many people in as they can 

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

RFL have to ask how many of the chosen venues worked, fair play for trying new venues. London Stadium 2 failures, I'd give them one last chance with a magic weekend before jettisoning them. Anfield would have worked better for a England match I think. Final should have been at a traditional RL ground I believe.

RFL have to ask how many of the chosen venues worked, fair play for trying new venues. London Stadium 2 failures, I'd give them one last chance with a magic weekend before jettisoning them. Anfield would have worked better for a England match I think. Final should have been at a traditional RL ground I believe.

Which traditional RL ground is big enough?

i have a liverpool season ticket for the lower main stand its a dam sight better now after the rebuild i think its a fantastic stadium and with football its all about getting as many people in as they can

It could have been a fantastic stadium but greed has stopped that. I believe every stand has poor legroom. Isn't the new stand simply an add on to the already existing structure rather than a complete new build?

rldfsignature.jpg

It could have been a fantastic stadium but greed has stopped that. I believe every stand has poor legroom. Isn't the new stand simply an add on to the already existing structure rather than a complete new build?

It was a new build. It was quite impressive how hey did it. You can see the new structure behind the existing one on the photo. They then demolished the existing stand to build the bottom tier

post-5976-0-66726100-1479927481_thumb.png

Bottom line is that the pitch dimensions did not comply with the laws of the game and as such render the game void.  I presume TV money convinced the two teams to play.

I am guessing that if any club was found to be playing on a pitch that 'satisfy the laws of the game they would face penalties (fine, points deduction etc). It literally is a law for one but another law for others.

Is anyone carrying the can at the RFL for this screw up

Bottom line is that the pitch dimensions did not comply with the laws of the game and as such render the game void.  I presume TV money convinced the two teams to play.

I am guessing that if any club was found to be playing on a pitch that 'satisfy the laws of the game they would face penalties (fine, points deduction etc). It literally is a law for one but another law for others.

Is anyone carrying the can at the RFL for this screw up

Wtf are you talking about? Complete rubbish.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived