Match Thread. Sheffield v Featherstone Rovers Friday 24th June 2016

marklaspalmas

Early start to this thread which is just two days away. I imagine the squads will be out today?

After confidently predicting an unchanged squad last week, this week who knows? Misi is available. The talk suggests Hardman, Davies and Roche will be back. Numerous theories surrounding Thackeray.

Once again, this is a must win for us to make Top 4.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

squad on the Fev website now

http://www.featherstonerovers.net/article/50070/-for-eagles

Channing, Taulapapa, Briggs, Thackeray, Griffin, Bostock, Davies, Spears, Hardman, Roche, Ormondroyd, Cording, Cooper, Tagg, Ellis, Foster, Baldwinson, Duckworth and Lilley.

Thackeray and Lilley both in the squad. If Thackeray is fit/available for selection, then the interesting thing is there is no Robbie Ward, so Lilley as the other 9 with Ellis might be an option.

With Craven injured, Hardman seems sure to be at full back, and Channing and Misi in the centres. Just a question then on who misses out in the pack, Cooper you'd guess might be one, maybe Tagg, maybe someone else the other.

Sheffield have signed Nathan Chappell so I think that makes 4 ex-Eagles in our squad and probably 3 ex-Rovers in theirs.

We know Craven is missing but in today's P&C it says that Davies and Roche are possibly still not 100% and that Hardman and Thackery have not yet got the all clear. Any body know the up to date situation.

Ask oxy Mark he seems to know about the medicals at Fev

You wouldnt like my reply.

How has he gone for you guys this year, Ive only seen him 3 times and cant say he really stood out, obviously he had a mare at the summer bash, where as the last couple of games for Fax I thought he looked real quality. Im now kind of sitting on the fence as to wanting to see him at Fax next year.

You wouldnt like my reply.

How has he gone for you guys this year, Ive only seen him 3 times and cant say he really stood out, obviously he had a mare at the summer bash, where as the last couple of games for Fax I thought he looked real quality. Im now kind of sitting on the fence as to wanting to see him at Fax next year.

Well, I think Thackers has been quite well received in that he's not Gaz Moore, so that's helped.

However, I think we really need a taking-the-team-around-the-park type midfield general which is something he is not. Liam Finn was.

He's good at what he does, taking the line on, looking for gaps, backing up on the inside. In that sense he's replaced Andy kain.

When he doesn't look good it's usually because he's playing behind a beaten pack (Blackpool) but that's true of all scrum-halves.

He needs a more organisational player alongside him with a long range kicking game. That could be Briggs, or Craven. Either way, all round, it's not quite happened yet consistently in 2016 but I think we're moving in the right direction.

Well, I think Thackers has been quite well received in that he's not Gaz Moore, so that's helped.

However, I think we really need a taking-the-team-around-the-park type midfield general which is something he is not. Liam Finn was.

He's good at what he does, taking the line on, looking for gaps, backing up on the inside. In that sense he's replaced Andy kain.

When he doesn't look good it's usually because he's playing behind a beaten pack (Blackpool) but that's true of all scrum-halves.

He needs a more organisational player alongside him with a long range kicking game. That could be Briggs, or Craven. Either way, all round, it's not quite happened yet consistently in 2016 but I think we're moving in the right direction.

Thanks for that.

Its strange how some players fit certain teams because if you were to ask most Fax fans as to our best players this season I think Gaz Moore would be in most peoples top 3 along with Tangata and Manning.

Gaz Moore was great on his day especially when playing against poor opposition his problem was he seemed to want to act like an ass quite often when things did not go his way but what do us poor supporters know he may have had just cause as we are not party to off field squabbles but I still believe the problem lays at the door of Gaz however time will tell.

I think that's spot on. Without wanting to get into the Thackeray / Moore debate I think Thackeray is still a better leader-er round the park so the deal has worked for us.

Also, for the 3rd season on the trot we've not been able to field a settled half back pairing for long periods (including Thackerays own nasty injury) which has not helped in terms of consistency

I think that's spot on. Without wanting to get into the Thackeray / Moore debate I think Thackeray is still a better leader-er round the park so the deal has worked for us.

Also, for the 3rd season on the trot we've not been able to field a settled half back pairing for long periods (including Thackerays own nasty injury) which has not helped in terms of consistency

Yes.

It really depends what you class as a leader, Moore and Thackery's game management are not even comparable, in that sense though I think its unfair to compare the 2 because Thackery is more our Ben Johnston type of player rather than Moore.

Hmm. They are comparable in the sense that they are both not particularly good at it. Moore would claim to be a game manager but doesn't impose himself at the right times often enough. He has the vision and the kicking game but doesn't work well enough with his pack. His character isn't particularly suited to leadership either. Decent player on his day though.

Im not sure Thacks himself would even claim to be that kind of game controller. If we are on a roll running at the oppo he can be devastating but he's not the player who, in an arm wrestle, makes sure we are in the right arae of the field taking the right decsions in the way that say FInn & Brough from last night are.

Hmm. They are comparable in the sense that they are both not particularly good at it. Moore would claim to be a game manager but doesn't impose himself at the right times often enough. He has the vision and the kicking game but doesn't work well enough with his pack. His character isn't particularly suited to leadership either. Decent player on his day though.

Im not sure Thacks himself would even claim to be that kind of game controller. If we are on a roll running at the oppo he can be devastating but he's not the player who, in an arm wrestle, makes sure we are in the right arae of the field taking the right decsions in the way that say FInn & Brough from last night are.

Gaz Moore is a fantastic player, truly outstanding two or three times per season, Thackeray is more consistent and reliable though, and won't let you down anywhere near as often.

To be fair to him as I mentioned, he is yet to let us down this year and has gone above and beyond that. Sometimes what the speccies see is different to what goes on in the dressing room and I have yet to hear a bad word said about him by anyone associated with the playing side at Fax. In contrast at Fev he was seen as one of the spokesmen for the players and when he is standing up to say pay us what we are due or we are not playing, stuff like that gets out and suddenly he looks like a bad egg.

To be fair to him as I mentioned, he is yet to let us down this year and has gone above and beyond that. Sometimes what the speccies see is different to what goes on in the dressing room and I have yet to hear a bad word said about him by anyone associated with the playing side at Fax. In contrast at Fev he was seen as one of the spokesmen for the players and when he is standing up to say pay us what we are due or we are not playing, stuff like that gets out and suddenly he looks like a bad egg.

Ah. You see? We engage in reasonable debate but then you go for some laughable s hit stirring about Fev, which borders on pure trolling. You'll get some bites too, but not from me. Over & out.

Trouble is this comedian will not go away.( I am sorry to say. )

When we start a topic he has to shove his oar in, and we have got to troll past his dribble to read interesting views by passionate Fev supporters.

Archived