ZC/DP to host 4 Nations ?

Derwent

Paddy Coupar is the most recent. In times gone by we had players like Alan Tait, Glen Turnbull, Harry Whittaker from the Borders and of course the legendary George "Happy" Wilson.

Thanks for that update Derwent. Just shows how much my memory bank is depleted when I forgot Happy Wilson -a mate of my Dad's along with Albert Pepperell  and Harry Archer. Was I right about Lauder?As for Paddy Coupar -he was a wholehearted player who never took a backward step. 

can see the match selling out in 24 hours........getting tickets might be a problem especially on line........how do you make sure the tickets go to scottish supporters and regular west cumbrian supporters and not just the once in a blue moon bandwagon jumpers and people from around the country ?

can see the match selling out in 24 hours........getting tickets might be a problem especially on line........how do you make sure the tickets go to scottish supporters and regular west cumbrian supporters and not just the once in a blue moon bandwagon jumpers and people from around the country ?

Because all the M62 lot will be heading down to the Olympic Stadium for the England v Aussie game on the saturday.Cant see the 1200 local supporters having a problem ;-)

I'm thinking more about Thurston or Johnson. How good will that be.

Read the Express carefully and you can work out its going to be Kiwi.

England will play Kiwi in their opening match at Huddersfield.

I doubt they will open the 4 nations on a Friday night in Worklngton so Scotland v Aussie at Hull KR on the sunday.

Then the next games are the double header at Coventry Scotland v England and Aussie v Kiwi

LEAVING Scotland v Kiwi at DP and England v Aussie a Olympic Stadium.

ha ha yes I saw your comments yanto. Not sure where they get there facts from saying DPZC only holds 6k

Best supported NONE M62 crowds in the WC ..only Wales at Wrexham beat DPs attendances.

But hey they know best ;-)

Cant wait for this me and my kids will be there

Agree really looking forward to this marra, its not everyday one of the best teams in RL are on your doorstep, this will be sold out with the right publicity, get JT in the schools if its the Aussies, if this doesn't inspirer our kids to take up RL nothing will. 

That would be a great compliment if Scotland have chosen D.P.for this fixture. I know I'm as guilty as anyone for knocking lumps out of the Borders punt and grunt scene but in the past Town have sourced some pretty useful players from up there. My memory isn't what it was but I recall Brian Lauder as one decent back from that area-- perhaps some sharper minds can recall others. I recall back in the Tom Mitchell era we even had the nerve to pursue Gary Armstrong-the eventual Scottish international scrum half -- and this at a time when a Union player having a pint in a League club bar could result in being shunned for life. I often travel through the Borders and I admit that I sometimes join the Barbour Jacketed fraternity to have a look at sides like Melrose,Hawick,Jedforest and others.  The opaque rules of the game still make for long periods of mystifying boredom but there are a lot of very quick and skilful guys up there. George Graham the more than useful prop for Carlisle coaches in the Borders -I think possibly for Gala and I'm sure he'd be able to identify lads who could cut it in our code. It's just come back to me-----we had a forward a few seasons ago who never let us down --Paddy ???  Just saying-----.

Harry Whitaker wasn't a bad half in his day, from Hawick I think

Thanks for that update Derwent. Just shows how much my memory bank is depleted when I forgot Happy Wilson -a mate of my Dad's along with Albert Pepperell  and Harry Archer. Was I right about Lauder?As for Paddy Coupar -he was a wholehearted player who never took a backward step. 

Wouldn't put Coupar in same league as the others, but great memories, Alan Tait was a cracking centre and a decent joiner as well I believe

Wouldn't put Coupar in same league as the others, but great memories, Alan Tait was a cracking centre and a decent joiner as well I believe

I was too young to appreciate those players- I would be about 7 when my old feller started taking me to both Town and Reds matches -only things I was interested in then was the half time pie and oxo! Only really got enthusiastic when the likes of the Martin brothers put themselves about. I did see Jimmy Hill play against the Reds though in his Fulham days. 

I was too young to appreciate those players- I would be about 7 when my old feller started taking me to both Town and Reds matches -only things I was interested in then was the half time pie and oxo! Only really got enthusiastic when the likes of the Martin brothers put themselves about. I did see Jimmy Hill play against the Reds though in his Fulham days. 

I guess the first centres I can really remember Jim Crellin and Tony Collaby, must have been 6 or 7 at the time I guess so probably didn't appreciate the game fully

But used to enjoy sitting on the wall and seeing the guys run past (or over it).

Archived