Today

Townie123

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

What will a merger achieve?

agreed , you will probably then have 250 from each supporters leaving over a merger and 250 giving it ago , 500 or so will be the result and thats depending where the ground will be ? Allerdale or Copeland ? the merger will always be too much to stomach for many 

Why?

What will a merger achieve?

a combined fan base as we are both down to diehards and big amateur games are getting better crowds than the semi pros. one club scouring the limited amateur scene and not two. Better chance of bigger local sponsorship. More chance of creating Interest from West Cumbria in genral. Not having to run two delapidated grounds at an expense. Etc etc etc

V ye, maybe but I don't think you could. make a top five team out of both teams but maybe one that could survive in championship around mid table I think.

some seem to think a merged team would have a right to enter at SL level. That is unrealistic. It would enable a team capable of staying in the championship and running a reserve side. One that could forge links with the amateur scene. Our neighbours will think this is being discussed due to towns current plight. However IMO it's inevitable that both are on borrowed time in this league on this budget and being so far away from the M62 corridor. How long will some on both side flog a dead horse be for wakening up.

How many RL supporters are there in west Cumbria who won't set foot in town or havens grounds?

We live in a traditional RL area not a RL stronghold.

The potential is there to have a successful championship side if done right, one look at the Town and Haven squads over the last 20 years shows quite clearly that there isn't enough local talent to fill two sides as one always has to rely on travellers.

Whitehaven have the upper hand on the pitch at this moment in time but the Rec is 60 years old and has no potential for bringing in revenue outside of match days.

Derwent Park is only marginally better - but neither stadium is fit for purpose in the 21st century.

Other local authorities up and down the country have built stadiums, so why can't we get together with Allerdale to see if the land at Derwent Park can be developed somehow?

How many RL supporters are there in west Cumbria who won't set foot in town or havens grounds?

We live in a traditional RL area not a RL stronghold.

The potential is there to have a successful championship side if done right, one look at the Town and Haven squads over the last 20 years shows quite clearly that there isn't enough local talent to fill two sides as one always has to rely on travellers.

Whitehaven have the upper hand on the pitch at this moment in time but the Rec is 60 years old and has no potential for bringing in revenue outside of match days.

Derwent Park is only marginally better - but neither stadium is fit for purpose in the 21st century.

Other local authorities up and down the country have built stadiums, so why can't we get together with Allerdale to see if the land at Derwent Park can be developed somehow?

but to be developed for what? To have 500/600 people in it for 22 days a year. RL Resources in WC need clubbed together.

not SL standard isnt a fair comment really , most of the lads work , but with time and 100% of your working life training and conditioning then some would make the grade , problem is if Cumbria had a SL team it would be 95% non Cumbrian and very little if any chance of local players getting contracts , so if Haven and Town dissolve then the semi pro game has gone and that will have a knock on effect in the amatuer clubs .

I'm not talking about super league, I'm saying that other local authorities manage to fund stadiums which are used by the community in some form or other during the week.

The stadium is a millstone and it's going to get more expensive to maintain the older it gets.

There's probably 12 acres of land around derwent park which could be sold off for housing or industrial use, part of the money could be used to fund the building of a modern fully equipped grandstand complete with office space and suites to be rented out during the week over the road at Borough Park.

The Football Trust would fund the difference and that would mean Town and The Reds playing in a decent stadium with 5,000 capacity which is more than ample for our needs

Haven might have the upper hand on the field at the moment and that's been a long time coming but for all they're crowing they're not far off joining us in champ 1 and it could well be this season ... I've lost faith in this competition to be honest .. The gaps getting bigger and yes Oldham / Swinton are proving that with a bit of luck you can compete but we look way off .. We sounded like we did ok today .. But in what 55 mins where we fell away they've posted 46 points .. Halifax next then Sheffield .. I really feel

For the players .. I honestly think we won't get 10 points this year .. so 2 teams are nearly safe now.. Batley / Swinton at home along with haven are our only chance of points this year ... The other games are just damage limitation

Haven might have the upper hand on the field at the moment and that's been a long time coming but for all they're crowing they're not far off joining us in champ 1 and it could well be this season ... I've lost faith in this competition to be honest .. The gaps getting bigger and yes Oldham / Swinton are proving that with a bit of luck you can compete but we look way off .. We sounded like we did ok today .. But in what 55 mins where we fell away they've posted 46 points .. Halifax next then Sheffield .. I really feel

For the players .. I honestly think we won't get 10 points this year .. so 2 teams are nearly safe now.. Batley / Swinton at home along with haven are our only chance of points this year ... The other games are just damage limitation

you start your post of well then fall away. Haven in Blackpool and at DP. Batley and rams up here London away Oldham away Swinton up here are winnable then the 8's. However I do think cumbrian teams leaving this league is inevitable due to low budgets and distance from the rest geographically

you start your post of well then fall away. Haven in Blackpool and at DP. Batley and rams up here London away Oldham away Swinton up here are winnable then the 8's. However I do think cumbrian teams leaving this league is inevitable due to low budgets and distance from the rest geographically

not a chance in hell on current form I'm afraid TFM

Archived