Halifax RLFC vs Widnes Vikings

Who will win?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Halifax RLFC
    • Widnes Vikings

Widnes do, can't answer for anyone else sorry.

Maybe other CC Club's fans can let us know if they have or not ?

Fev have U15 & U16 academies. The majority of the reserves side are U18 this year too I believe.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will that be the same Shay that has had a stand closed since March due to safety fears, and requires significant funds spending on maintaining it that the council doesn't have to spare? :rolleyes:

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/52m--...ybut.6446205.jp

Maybe that's what they're referring to in the Liverpool Echo write up of the game?:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/widne...00252-26960766/

"Halifax loss leaves Widnes Vikings facing battle for play-offs

Jul 30 2010 by Our Correspondent, Liverpool Echo

Add a comment

WIDNES went down 30-16 at the Shat against Halifax and have a real fight on their hands if they are to gain a play-off place in the Co-operative Championship."

Edited by foozler

I note that Fax's ground is looking great. If they can get to the NL1 final again surely they are a shoe-in for SL, unless Barrow win it. Widnes just haven't done enough on the pitch to merit consideration for SL and their stadium is not better than Fax's anymore

I am not decrying the work Halifax have done to their ground which is a credit to them and would certainly put some Super League clubs to shame. However is you think that currently the Widnes stadium is no better than the Shay you need to visit both grounds and see if you are still of the same opinion.

As e neutral I enjoyed the game and was impressed by the style of play Matt Calland has encouraged at Halifax.

From what I saw - they deserve more folk getting of their butts and getting through the turnstiles - open rugby and very entertaining...

AND how fantastic it was to see a young French referee perform so well, I thought he was excellent and ran the game extremely well. Its great to see officials coming in from Europe and to me is an indicator of the interest in RL - keep them coming please!

Tuned in for the last 15 mins (stopped watching the whole Thurs games since annual P&R went up the spout)

Was a good end to the game and a great brawl :O

Proper Rugby League

I note that Fax's ground is looking great. If they can get to the NL1 final again surely they are a shoe-in for SL, unless Barrow win it. Widnes just haven't done enough on the pitch to merit consideration for SL and their stadium is not better than Fax's anymore

What is the score with youth set-ups in NL1. Don't all the top clubs in NL1 have an academy system?

You're sounding pathetic now. You shift one day to the next about which club instead of Widnes should be included at the next round of licensing.

You haven't really ever got it that it's not all about on the pitch. Widnes have ticked that box and concentrated on other matters. If it was purely about on the field we would have a better squad, simple as. The fact is that we are the only club that has spent this round of licensing trying to fit the criteria for Super League and that includes the youth and home grown players in the squad. No other club comes close to us on this.

Widnes are best placed for a license and as much that rankles with you it's true. We have and have had better crowds than the rest of the clubs in the division for at least a decade, we have a stadium that is bettered by no-one in the league and we have a proper youth policy. Of course it causes resentment amongst other fans but it doesn't change the fact.

So please stop with your absurd anti-Widnes posts blaming us for all the problems of the Championship. It's starting to sound as bad as your rectangular stadium issue although admittedly nowhere near as funny.

Well said Max.

People on other Forums are whinging saying that it would be wrong for us to get a Licence from mid CC. The fact we have spent a wedge of our salary cap on signing and retaining the best Juniours in the area seems to pass them by.

We have already satisfied the RFL's criteria on the playing front, by winning last years NRC. If we'd have kept a really strong team on the pitch, we wouldn't have a great Academy system, so would not have got a Licence.

To Mr O'Connor it's all about following the RFL's guidelines, not satisfiying other Clubs fans.

And if we are talking about fast tracking Clubs from mid table, where exactly were London Broncos before being put into Super League ?

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

If we'd have kept a really strong team on the pitch, we wouldn't have a great Academy system, so would not have got a Licence.

But do you expect the other clubs to be able to do this ? & fund ground redevelopments.

Lots of clubs have dissavantages like the Cumbrian clubs having to put travelling player's fuel or accomodation costs in the Salary Cap while having to cover the longer distances expenses etc.

Its all a huge mess this franchise malarky and the sooner its over the better.

But do you expect the other clubs to be able to do this ? & fund ground redevelopments.

Lots of clubs have dissavantages like the Cumbrian clubs having to put travelling player's fuel or accomodation costs in the Salary Cap while having to cover the longer distances expenses etc.

Its all a huge mess this franchise malarky and the sooner its over the better.

Paying for a team bus and the occasional board is hardly the same as funding player contracts. Our squad has been weaker this year for the reason listed above. You can still afford Jamie Rooney. Widnes and Leigh are the sole clubs represented in lancs in the league so we have to do our fair share of travelling too.

Widnes and Leigh are the sole clubs represented in lancs in the league so we have to do our fair share of travelling too.

Oi gerroff Lancashire - your lot are Cheshire :P

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Well said Max.

People on other Forums are whinging saying that it would be wrong for us to get a Licence from mid CC. The fact we have spent a wedge of our salary cap on signing and retaining the best Juniours in the area seems to pass them by.

Do the Juniors count on the Salary Cap?

Do the Juniors count on the Salary Cap?

Yes when they are included in your squad. Widnes have a large number of their squad taken up with juniors purely to try and meet the criteria for Super League. These also come from a junior devleopment system that nobody else in the league is able to fund.

We could have just filled these spots with more experienced RL players from outside of Widnes but then that's not what franchising is supposed to be about is it?

But having a millionaire chairman willing to cover costs puts Widnes in a good place. I bet if SOC was not there, then Widnes would not have an academy or many of these Kids would be at Widnes. You could say you are very very lucky. But thats life.

However the way Widnes fans go on about things they fail to see the difficulties, Fev, Leigh, Batley, Fax have with no money man throwing money to support them and why its very difficult running a Academy. Also Widnes may be in a good position to sign local players despite SL clubs presence due to SOC and the way Widnes are likely to be in SL from 2012. Other championship clubs do not have that luxury and often are left to sign the best of the rest from the local scene who often have little chance of being good pro players.

But having a millionaire chairman willing to cover costs puts Widnes in a good place. I bet if SOC was not there, then Widnes would not have an academy or many of these Kids would be at Widnes. You could say you are very very lucky. But thats life.

However the way Widnes fans go on about things they fail to see the difficulties, Fev, Leigh, Batley, Fax have with no money man throwing money to support them and why its very difficult running a Academy. Also Widnes may be in a good position to sign local players despite SL clubs presence due to SOC and the way Widnes are likely to be in SL from 2012. Other championship clubs do not have that luxury and often are left to sign the best of the rest from the local scene who often have little chance of being good pro players.

Widnes fans have been through it at least as much as any other club in that and we fully appreciate the fortunate situation that we are in.

However it doesn't excuse other fans constantly trying to undermine the fact that we are best placed to go up. The likes of Lobby are just bitter and are trying to blame the problems of the championship on Widnes, the irony is that if we still had P and R then Widnes would be most likely to go up. We are the biggest club in a small pond and over time this inevitably tells under that system.

We weren't running an academy before SOC then? And we didn't have multiple bids for the club when he took over?

These also come from a junior devleopment system that nobody else in the league is able to fund.

You may be right about this MD, but I'm wondering what it is about Widnes' development system that is superior to my club's, Featherstone Rovers for example? I know we have scholarship sides at under 15 and 16 which have beaten several SL outfits and a successful Academy set up too which has produced current first teamers, Smeaton and Hardaker. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you, infact I agree with much of what you contribute to this forum but I'm just intrigued as to what the difference is that sets Widnes apart from the rest.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

You may be right about this MD, but I'm wondering what it is about Widnes' development system that is superior to my club's, Featherstone Rovers for example? I know we have scholarship sides at under 15 and 16 which have beaten several SL outfits and a successful Academy set up too which has produced current first teamers, Smeaton and Hardaker. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you, infact I agree with much of what you contribute to this forum but I'm just intrigued as to what the difference is that sets Widnes apart from the rest.

We are well known to be the only team that runs an U18's team at Super League level. I'm not trying to denigrate other clubs efforts but as far as I am aware, we are the only side that would meet the criteria for youth development.

We are well known to be the only team that runs an U18's team at Super League level. I'm not trying to denigrate other clubs efforts but as far as I am aware, we are the only side that would meet the criteria for youth development.

Thanks for your response MD. Sincerely, I wasn't suggesting you were trying to denigrate other clubs' efforts. I wasn't aware that only an under 18's presence in the SL will qualify for getting a tick in a box.

So presumably, in order to run an under 18's team, clubs must have the ability to pay those junior players otherwise they cannot have a team. If that is the case then the game is indeed in a sorry state and a clear indication that the SL wants absolutely everything there is to be had, all the money, all the fans and all the best young talent, and to hell with the rest.

Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House

Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk/

Huge Ego's and a superiority complex :lol:

Paying for a team bus and the occasional board is hardly the same as funding player contracts. Our squad has been weaker this year for the reason listed above. You can still afford Jamie Rooney. Widnes and Leigh are the sole clubs represented in lancs in the league so we have to do our fair share of travelling too.

"Paying for a team bus & occasional board", ffs man talk about over simplyfying things, Our players do train you know unfortunatly they dont levitate :P their cars require petrol.

Its much harder to get the better calibre of players to play for Barrow im the main due to the amount of travelling involved which again is not just on match days.

Same problem is getting loan or duel players.

Same problem in getting visitor fans making the trek, so our number are well down in this respect every year.

In my opinion clubs like Fax & Widnes have it much easier in these respects & you both have had your chance in the limelight and blow it already, you both have been Insolvent, Bankrupt or been in Adminastration etc & more than once.

One could say that because of mismanagement you have gained from it by having new shiney stadia to crow about and use it as an unfair advantage against well managed clubs who hisorically cut thier cloth accordanly.

Why not let Fev or Barrow have three years to see if we manage it better :D the buzz it would generate who create hure interest in these communitys and benefit the game by cementing RL in these area's.

If it was purely about on the field we would have a better squad, simple as. The fact is that we are the only club that has spent this round of licensing trying to fit the criteria for Super League and that includes the youth and home grown players in the squad. No other club comes close to us on this.

bettered by no-one in the league and we have a proper youth policy. Of course it causes resentment amongst other fans but it doesn't change the fact.

Arrogance of the highest order, you have outdone yourself here, well done.

FYI, BARROW had several Barrow born raised & schooled in RL lads in our 1st team yesterday & they all did rather well dont you think ?.

Huge Ego's and a superiority complex :lol:

Other people might get away with saying this, but other people don't consistently attack us and run our club down whilst talking up theirs. In other words, shut up and stop being a massive hypocrite. Responding to your twaddle does not constitute to having a massive ego and/or a superiority complex. Putting teams down whilst being blind to the fault of yours, as you have in the posts just behind mine does.

Honestly Mick, besides being a liar, your also particularly dumb on occasion.

"Paying for a team bus & occasional board", ffs man talk about over simplyfying things, Our players do train you know unfortunatly they dont levitate :P their cars require petrol.

Its much harder to get the better calibre of players to play for Barrow im the main due to the amount of travelling involved which again is not just on match days.

Mick, you don't live in khatmandu. And pointing out the flaws in your club does not bode well for you. These problems will also occur if you were in super league. It isn't a plus point in your favour pointing out the difficulty you have attracting and paying your players fairly. If you're living in a backwater, just live to your means. We'd be best off planning for a future in a centre of population like Newcastle. Despite these obviously crippling issues, you have managed to win the league recently and featured a squad containing the likes of Jamie Rooney. The facts laid out to you regarding our youngsters counting on the cap have been largely ignored and turned into some bizarre reverse whinge.

In my opinion clubs like Fax & Widnes have it much easier in these respects & you both have had your chance in the limelight and blow it already, you both have been Insolvent, Bankrupt or been in Adminastration etc & more than once.

Lie. We have been in admin once, due to a crooked owner which could have leeched himself onto anyone. The fact that we had multiple credible bids for our club after he left us in dire straits speaks volumes. We have the largest crowds in the division, and a relatively low salary cap with which to work in, and a new owner with a better sense of morals. This is a completely irrelevant divergence you have taken us on and a false one at that.

One could say that because of mismanagement you have gained from it by having new shiney stadia to crow about and use it as an unfair advantage against well managed clubs who hisorically cut thier cloth accordanly.

A staggering bit of idiocy.

Please explain to the board how we benefitted from administration by getting a stadium built 10 years earlier than it happened, before we were involved with Mr Vaughn, before we even qualified for super league? Hell, explain the workings of its finances and how it was dodgy. Please, go into detail. You surely can't leave this on such a compelling, vague point. Explain, liar. Did it enable us to build a time machine? You don't half talk some ######.

By the way, droning on and on about widnes fans "crowing" becomes slightly less impacted when you do it repeatedly yourself and with no provocation.

Why not let Fev or Barrow have three years to see if we manage it better :D the buzz it would generate who create hure interest in these communitys and benefit the game by cementing RL in these area's.

Absolutely. In fact as we're ignoring due process and all the hard work clubs have taken to ensure they are fully in accordance with RFL policy, why not chuck Moghadishu a license? It would create such a buzz and builr up rugby league n their region, give them a shot. In fact, ###### that. Chuck a dart at a world map and see where it lands. Licensing by guessing. It works so well!

Yes when they are included in your squad. Widnes have a large number of their squad taken up with juniors purely to try and meet the criteria for Super League. These also come from a junior devleopment system that nobody else in the league is able to fund.

Just checked - they dont count on the cap

7.3 Costs for those players under 21 who are eligible to play in the academy teams are to be

excluded from the Salary Cap Qualifying Costs. For the avoidance of doubt, this means

players need to be under 21 years of age on August 31st in the year prior to the Salary Cap

Year in question.