Hodgson in for Provan-Summons medal.

NRL fans survey: Josh Hodgson rated in top three players

TWO years ago he was wandering around Super League playing for Hull Kingston Rovers. Now he is among the NRL’s finest players.

Well, so say the game’s most important stakeholders — the fans. An online Daily Telegraph fan poll, which attracted nearly 10,000 respondents, rated Josh Hodgson the third-best player in rugby league.

That’s some praise for Canberra’s English hooker.

North Queensland star Johnathan Thurston was a runaway winner on 58 per cent, with Cam Smith coming second with 23 per cent of the vote. And there in third place was Hodgson, who secured 8 per cent of the vote and is also a Dally M Medal candidate.

He finished ahead of such established champions as Cooper Cronk, Greg Inglis, Paul Gallen, Jarryd Hayne and Jesse Bromwich.

Told how the fans voted, Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said: “Obviously, they’re watching the game. He has been the competition’s most consistent player all year.”

Hodgson has created quite an impact on the field — and off it as well.

“He is a wonderful ambassador for English rugby league, I know that,” Stuart said.

“Josh is a real club person, a guy that often helps around the younger players.

“He’s a very committed guy, committed to his work.”

Canberra chief executive officer Don Furner was equally delighted.

“It’s fantastic recognition,” Furner said.

“Not only are we an out-of-town team away from Sydney but he is from another country.

“We’re very pleased that we’re getting some votes in a Sydney paper.

“He is an important part of our team.”

Hodgson missed last week’s game through injury but will return for tomorrow afternoon’s match against Manly at Brookvale.

Canberra hope Hodgson will soon become an Australian citizen.

“Josh is going through the process,” Furner said.

“His first-born (a son) was born in Canberra. He’s got an Australian in his family. I think they are planning to apply for citizenship. They would like to make Australia their home.”

More:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-fans-survey-josh-hodgson-rated-in-top-three-players/news-story/d89ef72da8799caf0b6c3e6294dc5ce4

Thing with cam smith is hes not spectactular,hes not a freak of the game,hes just 100%,rock steady professional..much like,dare i say it,kev sinfield...

Josh is the same...but ive never seen cam smith make a 50yard break,chuck a dozen dummies then chip it into the corner for a winger to score...or boom as many 40/20 as josh has...

Josh over cam smith for me...

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Even as a Raiders tragic with a massive man crush on Hodgo, I still rate Smith as better.

Keen to see how Hodgo handles his first finals series though.

He wasn't better 2 weeks ago. Hodgson has too much for him now. Smith is a 'great', no doubt, but in his twilight years now. Josh is the future and I can see him playing SoO to boot.

Unfortunately for New South Welshmen like me, Hodgo is ineligible for Origin, even if he takes out citizenship.

Spud, I reckon Smith kicks more 40/20s than Hodgo. He also has a superior short kicking game.

Unfortunately for New South Welshmen like me, Hodgo is ineligible for Origin, even if he takes out citizenship.

Spud, I reckon Smith kicks more 40/20s than Hodgo. He also has a superior short kicking game.

Even if they amended the rules, he surely has no link to either states seeing as he plays his rugby in ACT?

Thing with cam smith is hes not spectactular,hes not a freak of the game,hes just 100%,rock steady professional..much like,dare i say it,kev sinfield...

Josh is the same...but ive never seen cam smith make a 50yard break,chuck a dozen dummies then chip it into the corner for a winger to score...or boom as many 40/20 as josh has...

Josh over cam smith for me...

Cameron Smith has double the number of 40/20s than Hodgson this season and has scored two individual tries in the last couple of weeks. Hodgson is having a great season but Smith in one of the best I've ever seen - never misses a game, hardly misses a tackle and reads the game and situation like no other. I love the improvement in Hodgson but he would never get on the teamsheet before Cameron Smith.

Smith is way on another Level.He Controls games so well at any Level. Not the fastest or strongest player or Hooker. But thinking and tactic wise He is on a Different Level to all, except maybe Thurston. Also Mr consistant. He is a coach Who is playIng and known What to do and When to win the big games.Thurston is similar.

Archived