Big News Especially for Farmduck Yaaaaaaa

OK, so Farmduck, we need some big off season news here, bigger than Soward's Slating or a New Jersey design...

How about this for a scoop:

It is about the one and only Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvoooooooooonnnnnnnne.

Channel Nine’s high-profile rugby league anchor Yvonne Sampson is on the cusp of jumping ship to Fox Sports, it has been claimed.

The Sunday Footy Show star has held meetings with Fox Sports bosses Patrick Delany and Steve Crawley, who have an eye on poaching her for their new channel.

Fox Sports is launching a 24-hour rugby league channel next year and has been busily recruiting talent to man (what?) a slew of new roles.

There ya gooooooooooo FD

Well the most entertaining and knowledgeable commentator for me is Andrew Voss.

Ray Hadley's voice is not for me. He's more like a wannabe Warren whereas Voss is Voss and good with it.

I realise Voss, Hadley and Channel Nine have history so there's not likely to be a move there for him. Anyroad up Vossy and Fox seem to be getting on OK

A 24-hour Rugby League channel? That's why they call Australia the Lucky Land.

Jammy gits.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I haven't heard. They'll have to borrow some from Fox and Ch9 because I don't see where they could find 20 experienced RL commentators for 5 weeks. SKYNZ will probably do the NZ games and maybe TVWAN the PNG games.

I don't watch 7 so I don't know who is in their current bucket of alleged personalities.

Well Yaaaaaaavvvvooooonnnne has gooooonnnnnneeeee.

She's left Channel 9 officially now and signed for Fox Sports

According to one media source:

It’s a massive coup for Fox, with reports of huge pay discrepancies between male and female presenters at Channel Nine.

Female hosts also fly economy while male counterparts travel in business class, as shown in one of Sampson’s Instagram posts from the 2016 season.

As discussed above, the move has been on the books for weeks.

She's now set to join Fox in time for the launch of its 24-hour rugby league channel next year.

Why do you blokes worry about where Yvonne Sampson has gone? I`ve never heard of her,no doubt she`s one of these female announcers that they put on now in all mens` sports. They might look good,but they know nowt about the particular sport they`re supposed to be talking about. This is when I press the mute button,it`s an insult to my intelligence these women,like Debbie Spillane on ABC,she can`t even get the names right most of the time. Men for mens` sport and women for womens` sport as far as I`m concerned.  

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you blokes worry about where Yvonne Sampson has gone? I`ve never heard of her,no doubt she`s one of these female announcers that they put on now in all mens` sports. They might look good,but they know nowt about the particular sport they`re supposed to be talking about. This is when I press the mute button,it`s an insult to my intelligence these women,like Debbie Spillane on ABC,she can`t even get the names right most of the time. Men for mens` sport and women for womens` sport as far as I`m concerned.  

Good grief.

Can we move this comment to the Stone Age forum do we think?

Big fan of Yiv-onne. Super knowledgeable about the game and always probes the panellists with really good questions. Good luck to her and hope we still see her on the UK NRL coverage.

Background info on Yvonne - this thread started out as a bit of an in joke but has since evolved.
Yvonne Sampson is a QLDer
Her background in sport and NRL:
 Wiki:

With a little help of a chance encounter between her taxi-driving father and former NRL player Wendell Sailor, Sampson began her career as a cadet reporter at the Seven Network's regional news service, Seven Local News on the Sunshine Coast working one day a week, while juggling her studies at the Queensland University of Technology[/url] and employment with the Eagle Farm Equine Hospital.
Upon completion of her studies, Sampson joined the network permanently as a sports reporter, working throughout the state in cities such as Maryborough, Mackay and Townsville before returning to the Sunshine Coast to also becoming a studio presenter.
In 2012, Sampson returned to Queensland, joining the Nine Network in . In January 2014, Sampson was offered the opportunity to return to Sydney to be more extensively involved with Nine's Wide World of Sports coverage including presenting the sport on Nine News Sydney.
Sampson also hosts Friday Night Football and is also a sideline commentator for Thursday Night Football and Sunday Football. In September 2015, Sampson began hosting Nine's new NRL talk show Footy Classified NRL Finals.
In 2016, she became the host of the Sunday Footy Show, replacing long time host Peter Sterling. The same year, Sampson also became the first woman to anchor the network's State of Origin coverage.
In December 2016, it was announced that she had signed a multi year deal with Fox Sports.

Having said that - back on to the angle the thread was originally aimed at, which was not doubting her abilities or professionalism, one or two of us on here on the match threads were always struck on the way her name was pronounced/mangled by Ray Warren when handing over or referring to her. 

Archived