Brexit - the negative thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regards to his last line a negative consequence for domino favouring Brexiters has been that anti EU sentiment seems to have dropped in other countries.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Behind the paywall but its an interesting read about the serious downturn in manufacturing since the referendum.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/07e2a3be-57d3-11e6-8ed5-6667a5bfca5c

Wrong thread.

This is a positive because we all love excitement.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Or maybe everyone is too busy posting on the Positive thread

They remainers get their own thread to whinge, whine and wallow in misery together, but they'd rather just go attention seeking on the other thread to try and spread their misery.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

If you read about our trade deficit that's been a problem for the last decade.  Why we are so bad with exports I don't know.  Maybe because we don't make anything anymore because British consumers prefer cheap garbage from China?  Who knows.

Its could also be because successive governments of all colours have sold off our manufacturing. Either way its not good (I admit not necessarily linked to Brexit, although any good news also not necessarily linked to brexit has been highlighted in the other thread so I figured it fit!)

We were driving our French built car to my daughters Granny in London, & I mentioned that there is no British owned Car manufacturing companies anymore in the UK.

Everyone started suggesting Rover, Vauxhall, Ford, Smart, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, etc, but they're all owned by foreign holders.

Does anyone know of a UK based, UK holding car manufacturing company?

When we withdraw, will the car companies stay in the UK, or will they remain IN, and push off to Europe, where they only need to build Left hand drive cars, and desert the UK?

We were driving our French built car to my daughters Granny in London, & I mentioned that there is no British owned Car manufacturing companies anymore in the UK.

Everyone started suggesting Rover, Vauxhall, Ford, Smart, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Land Rover, etc, but they're all owned by foreign holders.

Does anyone know of a UK based, UK holding car manufacturing company?

When we withdraw, will the car companies stay in the UK, or will they remain IN, and push off to Europe, where they only need to build Left hand drive cars, and desert the UK?

They'll still make right hand drive versions as the UK car market is large enough to justify it (and you can include Japan in that too)

Whether they'll manufacture here in the long term i really don't know. Being in the EU didn't stop Ford moving stuff into other EU countries. It depends what kind of deal gets struck re: import tariffs.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Lotus?

OK, I'm talking  mid to high range manufacturers, not small time high end, only the high earners folk can afford, type cars, can you afford a Lotus? Can you afford a Morgan? Most of us on here can't afford a British built/owned car.

In modern times large companies aren't owned locally. The brands might be associated with certain countries e.g BMW Germany, Toyota Japan etc, but these companies have shareholder bases that are global.

As for building them, well same again in a lot of cases. BMW's largest manufacturing plant isn't in Germany, it's in Spartanburg in North Carolina which exports 70% of its build to Europe and Asia. The American market car which has the largest % of its parts built in the USA is a Toyota.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Car manufacturing isn't that clear cut.

Nissan are major producers in this country.Jaguar Land Rover have all their engineering in this country and do most of the manufacturing here.

Bentley are still built here and whilst Rolls Royce cars are built under licence by BMW the "badge" RR is wholly owned by the RR Plc.

RR are a massive company but here in Coventry we have been particularly hard hit by their cost cutting. There used to be 10,000 employees here now it is about a hundred.

I was made redundant in 2001 when all of the Marine development and engineering was transferred to Canada. The Canadian Government offered to subsidise the companies development programmes. Being in the EU we were not allowed to do that so the company just moved the division out of the EU.

I know the company is also happy to exploit the cheaper manufacturing costs in the Far East so it just goes to show that for multi nationals the rules of a particular bloc can soon be circumnavigated. The "protection" of the EU didn't apply to me.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

OK, I'm talking mid to high range manufacturers, not small time high end, only the high earners folk can afford, type cars, can you afford a Lotus? Can you afford a Morgan? Most of us on here can't afford a British built/owned car.

Metrocab

Or JCB

Archived