Is there any RL activity in Liverpool?

Seems to be great RL happenings in Manchester with Mancunians, Rangers doing ok. But still nothing significant in Liverpool.....why? 

I thought Saints were supposed to be taking games there and starting grass roots initiatives etc? As one of the major northern cities I'm surprised there has never been a strategy to take the sport to Liverpool in a massive way. 

Hopefully after the Four Nations, the RFL pay for a couple development officers and we keep taking England games to the city. Long time plan of a League 1 side in 10 years as well.

If we get a crowd of 40,000+ at anfield then the RFL must build on this with more tests against both the Aussies and kiwis taken there. As for a Liverpool side entering league 1 this surely must be the ultimate end goal alongside more grassroots development in and around Liverpool and merseyside otherwise what's the point. There's lots of non league football clubs on merseyside with decent little grounds that could host a semi-professional side from Liverpool like marine FC for example.

Hopefully after the Four Nations, the RFL pay for a couple development officers and we keep taking England games to the city. Long time plan of a League 1 side in 10 years as well.

That should be the responsibility of local SL clubs St Helens and Widnes

What happened to Liverpool's conference team? Were they called the Buccaneers or something similar?

Folded the second the St Helens amateur clubs switched to summer. There was a short lived Liverpool City but basically Liverpool Lions junior club set up an open age and took players from them and the even shorter lived Crosby St Mary's

My 2 sons train at Liverpool Lions, U10 & U11s.  The numbers in the younger age groups have increased slowly but still aren't enough to arrange regular games.  Training usually starts at 6.15 on Wednesday's but they should be moving indoors next week.

They don't seem to be updating the website these days, they tend to use Facebook or Twitter to push out messages.

There isn't a lot else going on in the city, I bumped into a coach from Liverpool City waiting to start training at the Mystery in Wavertree last year but I haven't noticed them there since.

Ironically, the Liverpool Universities are very strong when it comes to Rugby League.

The Mystery - it's the local name for the park.  It was handed over to the council in the 19th Century by a wealthy merchant on the condition that their identity wasn't revealed.  There's been plenty of theories about who it was.

It wouldn't win an award for the prettiest park but when it was gifted to the council the intention was for it to be used for sport and it still is over 100 years later by all sorts of groups.

The chances of any professional teams in Liverpool are nil. There is minimal interest , the place is the original football stronghold. I have been in and around Liverpool all my life and have tried to push the gospel , absolutely no chance. Fleeting amateur response over recent years but nothing permanent or stable.

The only interest is if it is seen on TV they are quite positive in the "violence" of the contact sport but have no understanding of it at all or interest in learning about it.

There is a recognition of rugby in general but on quizzing generally they think it is the toffs game or maybe "the one where they put the ball between their legs"

Sorry boys the original no starter.

As for the match at Anfield the only response was " I hope they don't knacker the pitch"

It is purely a covenient stadium hire.

Oh sorry I missed the University bit, I played in that donkey's years ago when it was new and you were treated like lepers.it is still the same today bar the leper bit I trust. Tends to be lads from RL areas who convince their mates who may have played RU to give it a go. Plus a few curious other lads who tend to pick up the basics quickly .

So the basis are there , good luck to them.

There was Huyton of course. Unfortunately the ground was prone to being vandalised.

I saw a reincarnation of them as Lancashire Lynx at Batley maybe 10 years ago.

Huyton, of course having moved from Liverpool (Knotty Ash area) to Alt Park Huyton and changing name from Liverpool City (I think formerly Liverpool Stanley to Huyton, then moving to Runcorn, changing name again of course plus elsewhere.

Distance from the old Liverpool City ground and Alt Park was approx 2miles. 

Widnes adjoins Liverpool or at least only a few minutes in a car.  Widnes ground Is probably closer than Anfield for a large part of Liverpool people.   So if they can't get enough in from Liverpool I assume it would be difficult for a new club.

On the other side of Liverpool then Saints is maybe closer,,,, but again only 10 to 15 mins in a car for most area's. 

I mean if the traffic lights are mainly green I could drive from Saints new ground and into Albert Dock Liverpool within 20 mins or at least not much more.    Wigan ain't that far either.

My point being ignoring public transport that it don't take long for most Liverpool area's to get to one of the x 3 teams mentioned if keen on RL.  Mind you that doesn't make it easy for the kids to join a club if they where interested.     

The chances of any professional teams in Liverpool are nil. There is minimal interest , the place is the original football stronghold. I have been in and around Liverpool all my life and have tried to push the gospel , absolutely no chance. Fleeting amateur response over recent years but nothing permanent or stable.

The only interest is if it is seen on TV they are quite positive in the "violence" of the contact sport but have no understanding of it at all or interest in learning about it.

There is a recognition of rugby in general but on quizzing generally they think it is the toffs game or maybe "the one where they put the ball between their legs"

Sorry boys the original no starter.

As for the match at Anfield the only response was " I hope they don't knacker the pitch"

It is purely a covenient stadium hire.

That's about the gist of my experience in Liverpool, Manchester also. Prior to living in either I remember being told by a mate at school that "St Helens is Liverpool, Wigan is Manchester"..obviously not that the teams were located in either city but that there was some sort of geographic affiliation. I saw none of that. I've played in parks all over Liverpool (Sefton Park the most) and never once saw a rugby ball. It's weird how just a few miles outside the cities there's a completely different sporting culture.

Oh sorry I missed the University bit, I played in that donkey's years ago when it was new and you were treated like lepers.it is still the same today bar the leper bit I trust. Tends to be lads from RL areas who convince their mates who may have played RU to give it a go. Plus a few curious other lads who tend to pick up the basics quickly .

So the basis are there , good luck to them.

What year did you play?

Lancashire Lynx were never anything to do with the Huyton club who became Runcorn Highfield - Highfield - Prescot Panthers etc. The Lynx roots were in Blackpool and Chorley.

Thanks for the information. I saw one of their last games at Batley in 2000.

I live behind the mystery park,there are actually rugby goal posts up but I have never seen so much as a rugby ball there,let alone a team. Im aware of a Liverpool buccaneers rlfc team but theres little information about them,and if I much as mention our glorious sport to my scouse hod carrier,his eyes glaze over and he starts falling asleep

Archived