Spanish team to enter the Championship or SL?

Having 6 pro English teams isn't a good thing, we need more pro teams from other countries as well as more English pro teams. We can't expect there to only be one league in the Northern hemisphere and there be one team from every country. How would a domestic game build? There's still so many potential places we could expand to in England/Wales. Manchester, Liverpool, another NE, Midlands, Medway, another London team, Cardiff, Bristol, South Coast. Serbia have it the right way in that they want to become a semi pro league in time, it seems everyone else just wants a League 1 team.

RU have 1 SH league across 4 continents...

I don't know but I would guess Serbia have less competition so would make it easier to launch a semi-pro comp.

Other countries don't have the option and so look to join other comps to progress.

Expanding to new countries brings new TV deals and exposure to new markets for advertisers in a globalised world.

6 clubs is enough to concentrate the English elite. There would probably be a fully pro domestic comp.

And let's not forget the elite would still play NRL and across all 14 SL clubs...

And 6 clubs could have whatever geographical spread suited. Remember it would be/used to be licenses and therefore new stronger clubs could replace weak over time....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't care about League. 

League in Spain is Valencia (11 teams!), Andalucia (7 teams) and Madrid (3 teams). There is only one team in Catalunya, at Castellar del Valles

In Barcelona, at Estadi Olimpic Lluis Companys, Montjuic.

I'm out in Andalucia pretty regularly these days. Have you got any information regarding the 7 teams you mentioned.

yipyee, on 21 Oct 2016 - 1:11 PM, said:

RU have 1 SH league across 4 continents...

And it is not working.  Anyway this is all pure fantasy lets see how Toronto goes before taking on the world.  I think a Spanish team in Elite would be a great step but also would like to see Marseille comeback.  In my mind the end goal is not an expanded, bloated competition like Super Rugby with artificial teams but a strong English/Wales SL and a fully professional French league with Catalans, Toulouse, Paris(dare I dream), and hopefully a Spanish side.

And it is not working. Anyway this is all pure fantasy lets see how Toronto goes before taking on the world. I think a Spanish team in Elite would be a great step but also would like to see Marseille comeback. In my mind the end goal is not an expanded, bloated competition like Super Rugby with artificial teams but a strong English/Wales SL and a fully professional French league with Catalans, Toulouse, Paris(dare I dream), and hopefully a Spanish side.

A four team French league won't get far...

Also the RU have a good comp in NH with 2 Scottish 2 Italian 4 Welsh and 4 Irish teams...

Also it's not a dream it's happening...IMO the middle 8s is smoke and mirrors to take the attention off the teams being fast tracked to SL!

With 20 teams You're probably looking at conferences.

That would be one option but I prefer the idea of playing every side once. I don't like conferences as they are artificial and can lead to vastly superior sides missing out on playoffs as in super rugby where the New Zealand sides totally dominated this year but still had a lot of crazy travel schedules away to teams with lower points tallies.

That would be one option but I prefer the idea of playing every side once. I don't like conferences as they are artificial and can lead to vastly superior sides missing out on playoffs as in super rugby where the New Zealand sides totally dominated this year but still had a lot of crazy travel schedules away to teams with lower points tallies.

Yes it's not ideal but it wouldn't be as bad as the Union comp as besides Toronto your talking about a maximum travel time of 2-3 hours.

Anyway it'll never happen.

I'm out in Andalucia pretty regularly these days. Have you got any information regarding the 7 teams you mentioned.

Cordoba Fenix, Coria Samurais (Sevilla), Bandoleros Ronda (Malaga), Mineros Pennaroya (Cordoba), Montilla Rugby (region of Cordoba), Custodians de Malaga and Tercios de Tomares (region of Sevilla)

A four team French league won't get far...

Also the RU have a good comp in NH with 2 Scottish 2 Italian 4 Welsh and 4 Irish teams...

Also it's not a dream it's happening...IMO the middle 8s is smoke and mirrors to take the attention off the teams being fast tracked to SL!

I meant hopefully a French league would have the teams in the English system now, obviously would have more than 4 teams.

I think that RU comp has hurt Scottish and Welsh RU and I think Super Rugby has damaged Australian RU.  I don't like the idea of bloated big leagues over many countries.  I would rather see a setup more like football with each country having its own league or maybe 2 countries like Wales/England or NZ/Aus.  I think France is big enough and rich enough to have support its own fully professional league in the future if RL continues to grow.

I don't think Toulouse will be in SL in 2018.

Call me a 'little Briton er ' if you like but every time I go on a Spanish Beach Holiday after a few beers I always ,as a long time supporter of League 1 , cant understand why anyone  is not looking at setting up a RL pro team in one of the Spanish beach resorts ...

Lloret De Mar would be ideal ..close enough to the French Heartlands and to build a Spanish Interest but enough 'English ' to pull in visiting fans and make travel for opposition fans easy enough with cheap(ish) airfares and accommodation ..

If we had a spanish catalan team and a Spanish basque team that would be a marvellous derby to watch, in any league.

As long as you had at least two gates by which the crowd could leave; you should never put all your Basques in one exit!

323 attended the WC qualifier vs Ireland in Valencia.  I was surprised Spain got beat so bad in both matches.  On paper they seemed to have some players from Elite one, mainly from Paulau Broncos. I know Paulau were not very good this year.  But it seems like it should have been a much closer games especially against Russia. Maybe Elite one is weaker than I imagined.

323 attended the WC qualifier vs Ireland in Valencia. I was surprised Spain got beat so bad in both matches. On paper they seemed to have some players from Elite one, mainly from Paulau Broncos. I know Paulau were not very good this year. But it seems like it should have been a much closer games especially against Russia. Maybe Elite one is weaker than I imagined.

Elite 1 is similar to League 1 over here I think. Drawing players from a bottom end Elite 1 side is not really going to compete amazingly on an international level!
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

323 attended the WC qualifier vs Ireland in Valencia.  I was surprised Spain got beat so bad in both matches.  On paper they seemed to have some players from Elite one, mainly from Paulau Broncos. I know Paulau were not very good this year.  But it seems like it should have been a much closer games especially against Russia. Maybe Elite one is weaker than I imagined.

Spain lacks forwards. They can't compete against Eastern European countries because they're big.

Archived