Shield and beyond

blaydonthunder

Hi folks this board is a bit empty these days.

so I am expecting a good victory in the shield final. In my view we would have been more competitive in the super 8s than London Skolars but this shield has been helpful to the team development actually. But going forward we need to be in the top half and competitive. We owe the owner that, as our playing budget is not terrible and we need to do better.

Next year will be even harder with the new Toronto side, the investment going on in South wales and the Cumbrian sides coming down.

So my thoughts going forward:

need to keep the bulk of the team, which is more likely now it has a lot of NE talent, but add one or two more talents - preferably experienced pros who can stop some of the indiscipline or lack of nous that bedevilled us in the first half of the season. We have had to much turmoil in terms of change

Need to get a good pre season friendly roster - last time the team looked ill prepared at the start of the season

Be nice to have a good run in both cups - ideally win the isport pro cup

Players should get their 2017 kit before the start of the season and fans should get their season tickets well before

I would be aiming for fourth in the league before the split and a serious run for promotion. What do folks think?

Hiya Blaydon,

I've been on my hols.

I agree with your analysis more or less. I think Mick Mantelli has now produced a really good team spirit, and we look really pro at this back end of the season.

We have a couple of real stars in Rennie and Reudiger, with Peter Fox, Joe and Rhys, and Jason coming back into real form. But it's really a team thing, and it's good to see some North East lads doing well.

2017 could be a really good year, but we mustn't think we've won the Shield yet. We've done that before, and been bitten on the bum.

Llongyfarchiadau/ Congratulations to Newcastle Thunder on their League 1 Shield win... but we did have you worried towards the end of the game!  Best team won in the end but what a fantastic game.

Best of luck next season.

Archived