Perth Expansion?

A lot of talk about expansion (or re-location) to Perth.  Two differing viewpoints.

http://www.nrl.com/cronk-thurston-back-perth-expansion/tabid/10874/newsid/102018/default.aspx

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/sell-out-the/

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

I'm dead against any further expansion until a second Brisbane side is included it's an absolute must to stop the Broncos monopoly . Perth is a bad idea IMO but hope I'm wrong if they go ahead with it.

This is a competition that has over half its teams in Sydney.  And a lot of people in Sydney are angry that the Bears and Jets are gone!  Anyone looking at this with a rational mind set can see that some of the Sydney clubs should be in Adelaide and Perth.

This is a competition that has over half its teams in Sydney.  And a lot of people in Sydney are angry that the Bears and Jets are gone!  Anyone looking at this with a rational mind set can see that some of the Sydney clubs should be in Adelaide and Perth.

Ok and who are the Sydney clubs you would relocate to Perth & Adelaide?

I'm dead against any further expansion until a second Brisbane side is included it's an absolute must to stop the Broncos monopoly . Perth is a bad idea IMO but hope I'm wrong if they go ahead with it.

A second Brisbane team didn't fair to well the last time it was tried,I just can't envisage another team ever being able to challenge the Broncos,they seem to have the city sewn up.

Wests tigers to Perth.  Easts to Adelaide.

I could live with that. To me Wests & Balmain sold out when they merged so I don't have a great deal of sympathy anymore in regards to those two. Roosters will not be going anywhere while "Uncle Nick" is around but it is nice to dream.

I could live with that. To me Wests & Balmain sold out when they merged so I don't have a great deal of sympathy anymore in regards to those two. Roosters will not be going anywhere while "Uncle Nick" is around but it is nice to dream.

Yeah I don't think any of this will actually happen.   But there is a glimmer of hope if Super Rugby pulls out of Perth you might see an expansion or a relocation.

Yeah I don't think any of this will actually happen.   But there is a glimmer of hope if Super Rugby pulls out of Perth you might see an expansion or a relocation.

Much more likely a new club than any one relocating I'd say. Perth does worry me though as most of the interest in League over there is from expat QLD'ers & New South Welshmen who have moved over there with the mining boom, Mining is dying all over Australia and many of these people will return back to the eastern states leaving WA firmly an AFL state and the game having to pump huge amounts of money in to keep it afloat.

RabbitRhinoovOZ, on 11 Oct 2016 - 01:12 AM, said:

Much more likely a new club than any one relocating I'd say. Perth does worry me though as most of the interest in League over there is from expat QLD'ers & New South Welshmen who have moved over there with the mining boom, Mining is dying all over Australia and many of these people will return back to the eastern states leaving WA firmly an AFL state and the game having to pump huge amounts of money in to keep it afloat.

That is interesting.  But think about how much support the NRL has had to give in the Gold Coast and that's in Queensland!  I think there could be problems in WA and its going to need support, but the NRL should not adopt a sink or swim position with expansion teams.

Out of interest, those proposing Brisbane II. Who exactly is this proposed club going to represent? I assume you have them down for playing at Suncorp?

A RL mad city of 2 million plus could well afford 2 club sides & frankly I couldn't care less where they play that's for there backers & the QLD government to work out . The more interesting question is why do you obviously disagree a 2nd Brisbane side should be a priority?

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has urged the NRL to take a cautious approach to expanding into Western Australia.

Rugby League continues to extend its reach far away beyond its eastern seaboard home, with nib Stadium hosting Perth's first ever rugby league international between Australia and New Zealand on Saturday.

The western capital's yet to be finished Perth Stadium will host a State of Origin fixture in 2019, as the ARL Commission continues to search for new markets.

But on the back of the failed Western Reds experiment, Meninga said rugby league needed to work harder to create fertile ground for a top level side to be based in Perth.

"I think there will be eventually a team here, but when I'm not quite sure,'' Meninga said.

"ARL Commission chairman John Grant has spoken about developing the game, I think that's a smart play.

"But I think (you need) to develop the game at the grassroots, and get all the participation rates up.

"I think there's a real focus and a lot of money going to the elite level but there's also got to be a focus (on grassroots).

"Our game has to have a future and the only way to have a future is to get young kids playing the game."

There is no doubt there is an appetite for rugby league in the west. The clash between the Kiwis and the Kangaroos at the 20,500 capacity nib Stadium has sold out.

Kangaroos captain Cameron Smith said that was proof the game had a foothold in WA.

"If the interest level is high and the participation is high it'd be great for our game to be playing right across the country," Smith said.

"It'd be great for our broadcasters. We've got a CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) coming up and the players are very passionate about growing our game and we're not just concerned about making money for ourselves, we want our game strong at grassroots level."

I'm all in favour of a NRL team in Perth, another one in Queensland and certainly a 2nd NRL club in NZ, which would have to be Wellington

I don't see why the NRL can't expand into an 18 team competition with brisbane2 and Perth the 2 obvious choices for expansion. I also can't understand why manly don't permanently relocate to the central coast and St George to Wollongong. As for a 2nd NZ side doesn't Christchurch get good crowds whenever a NRL game is taken to the city?? Christchurch bulls playing out of rugby league park stadium has a good ring to it.

The reports are 2022 at the earliest, but more games in Perth.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/32920751/more-rugby-league-nrl-clubs-heading-to-perth/#page1

2022 is far too long to wait for the NRL expansion to Perth. They've got the stadium, they've got the backers, they've got a grassroots presence and they've got a Perth audience willing to support RL in large numbers. What exactly is the holdup???

2022 is far too long to wait for the NRL expansion to Perth. They've got the stadium, they've got the backers, they've got a grassroots presence and they've got a Perth audience willing to support RL in large numbers. What exactly is the holdup???

I think the 2500 miles each way from Sydney is a factor, 2700 miles each way  from Auckland

There is a cost factor when you fly 30 people that distance.

There is some history from the last time Perth got a spot in the ARL and shopped them out as soon as they realised the reality of the issues they had from the most isolated City in the modern world.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

What happened to the talk of an expansion team in Tasmania ?

Never heard that one but I'd imagine Tasmania would be well down the list of areas for expansion.

Never heard that one but I'd imagine Tasmania would be well down the list of areas for expansion.

If the NRL ever do look Southwards, a revival of the game in Adelaide would be a better bet than Tasmania.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the NRL ever do look Southwards, a revival of the game in Adelaide would be a better bet than Tasmania.

Absolutely. I have fond memories of the Adelaide Rams joining the winfield cup over 20 years ago alongside the Warriors, Cowboys and Western Reds and if my memory serves me right the Rams and reds attracted decent crowds in their 1 season before the super league war.

Archived