Whitehaven in trouble , time for outside help in running club finances?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was all too predictable once the new structure was announced.

We wanted jeopardy, we got it.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Maximum spend of 55% of total club income on players wages ,contracts and clubs should not get into trouble it's not rocket science.

But how will they compete to provide Jeopardy???

Joke of a system!

They should merge with Workington.

The academy is in place, should make a tidy club.

The most predictable thing of these threads are the digs about structure - completely ignorant of over a 100 years of clubs' financial difficulties in Rugby League.

But hey, it's all down to a structure introduced last year.

When I see news like this about Cumbria I'm somewhat torn about the solution.

Realistically none of the Cumbrian clubs are ever going to get back in SL (bar a miracle and several multi-millionaires) so if they all want to remain as independent clubs then they need to plan accordingly for a permanent life in the Championship. I get that the fans don't want to hear the dreaded 'M' word (merger) but they need to then accept the realities of where their clubs are.

If the fans in Cumbria do want to watch SL rugby in the future then the only viable option is to combine (at least Workington & Whitehaven) into a single club based somewhere between the two (as per previous plans for Lillyhall).

Putting club sentiments, aside I do think a Cumbrian SL club would be really good for the game and for SL.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

A Cumbrian SL club based in the West would draw sod all fans and would go bust, for that to change the local populous would need to start supporting their current clubs in far greater numbers and build from there. Barrow I believe has a chance due to local population and business in the area

When I see news like this about Cumbria I'm somewhat torn about the solution.

Realistically none of the Cumbrian clubs are ever going to get back in SL (bar a miracle and several multi-millionaires) so if they all want to remain as independent clubs then they need to plan accordingly for a permanent life in the Championship. I get that the fans don't want to hear the dreaded 'M' word (merger) but they need to then accept the realities of where their clubs are.

If the fans in Cumbria do want to watch SL rugby in the future then the only viable option is to combine (at least Workington & Whitehaven) into a single club based somewhere between the two (as per previous plans for Lillyhall).

Putting club sentiments, aside I do think a Cumbrian SL club would be really good for the game and for SL.

It was done in the first season of Super League with Workington and it wasn't a success on and off the field.

For a team from Cumbria to be a success for more than 1 season it will need money and more junior development than goes on now, yes it can be done but it will need a long term plan.

If the fans in Cumbria do want to watch SL rugby in the future then the only viable option is to combine (at least Workington & Whitehaven) into a single club based somewhere between the two.

Wow!

So you cheese off the few hundred Town fans by wiping away their history, and you cheese off the few hundred Haven fans by wiping away their history, leaving the new club hundreds of fans short of the combined total of several hundred x 2 leaving a fan base in the hundreds.

The last Cumbria SL club averaged 2,300 fans, so you'd be lucky to get this again, as interest in watching and playing especially has declined over 20 years.

But anyway you plough on and build a white elephant RL stadium borrowing £Millions to do so in between the towns and due to not being able to compete on low crowds not helped by getting beat every week (last SL team in Cumbria won 2 of 22 games) you then go bust and the stadium sits there a testament to a penchant for playing fantasy RL. 

The most predictable thing of these threads are the digs about structure - completely ignorant of over a 100 years of clubs' financial difficulties in Rugby League.

But hey, it's all down to a structure introduced last year.

Now now Dave, no clubs got into financial strife during licensing...

Wondered how long it would be before Parky popped up.

We had this discussion a few months ago when Workington were asking for help and I plumped for a Cumbrian club with existing clubs acting as a feeder.

Parky then mentioned at how we would be peeing off a few hundred die hard fans. Well those die hard fans are quite literally dying off and not being replaced.

I for one will not enjoy watching crowds dwindle to nothing and the club eventually die but some will say that we should not intefere with tradition .... so hey ho!

Right Im off shopping now.

The very mention of "merger"shows a lack of insight into the nature of supporting your chosen club, And club rivalry is intense as anywhere in Cumbria...with its own particular and sometimes hilarious language... (I mean what is a "Jameater" all about).

I think the RFL is going in the right direction with increasing the funding in championship, The only failing was a lack of some type of parachute payment for the relegated clubs who`s Central funding was effectively halved???

Archived