Referees Guessing

"Can you just slow it down one more time to see where I can give Wigan a penalty"

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Apart from the Manfredi decision, thought Robert Hicks was good as a video ref as he gave far more explanation for the viewers than most do

His hands were tied with the Manfredi one however​

Apart from the Manfredi decision, thought Robert Hicks was good as a video ref as he gave far more explanation for the viewers than most do

His hands were tied with the Manfredi one however​

He could have simply said "he doesn't touch the ball no try". As that was pretty clear to everyone who has seen the clip!

He could have simply said "he doesn't touch the ball no try". As that was pretty clear to everyone who has seen the clip!

The problem was that there was no view that showed he didn't touch it, there was only views that showed he may have.

I have been banging on about this since they brought it in, its stupid, should be scrapped, anybody with any sense would have disallowed it except the video ref who couldn't because his hands were tied by the stupid interpretation brought by the current clowns in charge.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

The problem was that there was no view that showed he didn't touch it, there was only views that showed he may have.

I have been banging on about this since they brought it in, its stupid, should be scrapped, anybody with any sense would have disallowed it except the video ref who couldn't because his hands were tied by the stupid interpretation brought by the current clowns in charge.

Surely there is a case for the ref to be able say I don't know?

Every view failed to show he touched it....

Yes every view failed to show he touched it, the world agreed, the ref gave it as a matter of course given how close it was and how fast real time has a habit of happening, but that decision did some harm to the whole process.

But shaun mc is right up to that point Hicks had been a fanastic example of how to do it and quite clearly has been watching the bunker and that was one of the better things from the coverage.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

If there had been no VR and the ref had awarded the try would there have been an outcry when the after match video shows it shouldn't have been awarded?

I think you're right but there's an outcry after almost every single match by one side or the other.

Show he failed or failed to show, that's the question...

It can be very hard to prove a negative.

I don't mind the approach, generally and would certainly instroduce a time limit to it. The one caveat I would add, which would have come into play here, is that rather than make it absolute I would say that if it looks far more likely than not (as opposed to proven) then the VR can change the decision.

What happened to the option of the video ref being uncertain and sending it back to the on field ref for their final say?(Refs call?) Or was that just in the NRL?

Either way, when you're almost taking it down to a sub atomic level to see if any particles made contact then it's a bit OTT. Video ref is getting ludicrous now.

I don't care where the refs call was used, perfectly good idea.

I don't think it's the VR but the rules that are the the problem or in this case the interpretation.

It was one time where it just sounded like he bottled making the decision.

What happened to the option of the video ref being uncertain and sending it back to the on field ref for their final say?(Refs call?) Or was that just in the NRL?

Either way, when you're almost taking it down to a sub atomic level to see if any particles made contact then it's a bit OTT. Video ref is getting ludicrous now.

That's basically what happened but because of the way it's done now there's no need to go back because the refs already given his decision.

Just NRL

In this case the try would have been awarded on refs call

It didn't, that was what caused the problem, there were views where his hand was hidden by the ball and ones with the ball in front of his hand, there was no view that showed separation, thus his hands were tied because the ref had called try. He could only disallow it if he had a view that showed the separation, he didn't have it.

It would probably have never been given under the old system, but we are not using that though.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Hicks may have explained things well but for the early video ref call on the Solomona no try he kept saying clearly contact between Manfredi's shoulder and a Cas players head when it looked like a head clash to me. Am sure Manfredi's shoulder didn't hit the Cas players head. He might have done well explaining things but I thought Hicks was

If we stick with both "downward pressure" and "in control" as requirements for scoring a try, most VR referral "tries" would be disallowed instead of looking for the still frame that appears to show a pinky brushing against the ball when it bounces off the floor.

Manfredi's "try" would have been laughed out of the VR room if they used those rules.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Yes but surely given the ref could see the replay, he then could change his mind in the case of a blatant no try?

I don't think it was a blatant no try there was certainly some doubt. IMO the BBC didn't do Hicks any favours by showing it too fast each time he asked them to slow it down and they continued to show it at the same speed making it almost impossible to say for certain he didn't get a finger on it. Then at the end of the programme the BBC showed a really slowed down version that did show he didn't get a finger to it.

If we stick with both "downward pressure" and "in control" as requirements for scoring a try, most VR referral "tries" would be disallowed instead of looking for the still frame that appears to show a pinky brushing against the ball when it bounces off the floor.

Manfredi's "try" would have been laughed out of the VR room if they used those rules.

I did think control wasn't in the rules or was that said by someone on this forum?

"I don't think it was a blatant no try there was certainly some doubt."  Not in our house my missus was shouting at the telly when he missed the ball the first time round! :angry: (only with more hair). Then instead of laughing out the try, we laughed out the decision. :lol:  :laugh: :laugh:  :rofl: 

It didn't, that was what caused the problem, there were views where his hand was hidden by the ball and ones with the ball in front of his hand, there was no view that showed separation, thus his hands were tied because the ref had called try. He could only disallow it if he had a view that showed the separation, he didn't have it.

It would probably have never been given under the old system, but we are not using that though.

Might not have shown separation but nowhere did it show touching. Manfred could have helped and shown a bit of sportsmanship, a quiet word with the Ref?

Might not have shown separation but nowhere did it show touching. Manfred could have helped and shown a bit of sportsmanship, a quiet word with the Ref?

With the ref sending it up as a try it didn't have to show touching it had to show clear separation.

Once the ref makes his decision and sends it upstairs its out of his hands no matter what Manfredi says.

Archived