Stobart sponsorship deal & truck spotting

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warrington Wolves on A34 south of Oxford this afternoon. My first one!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Saw a Cas one near Bristol on Friday.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 more this morning.

A big tick when I saw the London lorry going up Windy Hill at about 6.30am, and then Huddersfield at J5 M61, our turning off, we had to slow considerably so I could make Eorl out. Luckily there was no-one behind us.

Warrington Wolves on A34 south of Oxford this afternoon. My first one!

Presumably with a convoy of pitchfork-waving Hull fans following behind.

:D

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

As yet I haven't seen any SL liveried 'Stobbies', between that and the total lack of branding in the stadia it is, for my money, the most anonymous sponsorship I've ever come across. Is anyone benefitting from it? I can't see anything positive for either SL or Stobart to be honest.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

When it was first announced I thought OK no money but at least it will give the game a much needed higher profile. I like many others have yet to see a Stobart lorry with any SL livery on. I suppose I should increase my road mileage on our motorways. Due to pressure of work I have only seen one match, at the game I attended, I couldn't see any banner with Stobart on. I have a feeling that the new serirs of Stobart on the television is not going to give the game any coverage.

I now feel the games bosses should have used old fashioned northen common sense, and took the money what was available. Certainly my employers never refuse ready money and they are what the northeners call soft southerners. Somehow I think the north is fast losing its need for brass.

The fact that there's no Stobart banners etc. at the games is the point of the sponsorship; the RFL have still got these sites (and the posts, and flags etc) to sell to other companies. Obviously this won't happen immediately because they didn't know until recently that the Stobart deal was going to be the one the clubs accepted. The test will be how much money they can make for these sites.

For what it's worth I've seen quite a few Stobart lorries, I think they look pretty good and do attract attention when you are coming up behind them on the road.

For what it's worth I've seen quite a few Stobart lorries, I think they look pretty good and do attract attention when you are coming up behind them on the road.

I've seen one so far and agree they look good, there just to few and far between in my experience.

Managed to last 5 minutes into the Channel 5 programme on Stobarts, all the press releases I saw around this deal mentioned the 2000 wagons Stobarts have, the into on the TV programme also mentioned they have 3500 trailers meaning % wise we obviously got less than the 5% figure commonly quoted when the deal was announced.

It really is a complete joke the sponsorship deal, to be honest the fact that the Widnes Chairman was allowed to vote on the matter was unbelievable!

In a game were just about every club is struggling for money/making a lose, to turn down cash is tantamount to gross misconduct.

All the pontificating from people like Martyn Sadler about accepting money from a gambling company when we have been supported by a company that does so much damage to the envirnment through the huge use of fossil fuels is frankly morally bankrupt.

It really is a complete joke the sponsorship deal, to be honest the fact that the Widnes Chairman was allowed to vote on the matter was unbelievable!

In a game were just about every club is struggling for money/making a lose, to turn down cash is tantamount to gross misconduct.

All the pontificating from people like Martyn Sadler about accepting money from a gambling company when we have been supported by a company that does so much damage to the envirnment through the huge use of fossil fuels is frankly morally bankrupt.

Don't forget the gambling deal wasn't without problems, Wigan for example have recently announced a deal with ApolloBET I wonder if that would have been possible with a headline sponsorship deal in place with another company?

Stobart are still preparing Superleague trailers, so the full number is not yet on the roads.

And the alternative offer wasn't for all that much cash, not when spread across the Superleague and definitely not what the game is worth. The RFL now need to prove themselves by maximising the other sponsorships available.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Stobart are still preparing Superleague trailers, so the full number is not yet on the roads.

And the alternative offer wasn't for all that much cash, not when spread across the Superleague and definitely not what the game is worth. The RFL now need to prove themselves by maximising the other sponsorships available.

Effectivley giving it away for free though wont help when it comes to negotiating with other companies - If you give something away for free it becomes worthless.

Is it not possible to merge the twice-weekly threads in which poster X hasn't seen a trailer and therefore the whole deal is a catastrophe? No, your position isn't justified if you ask the person in the desk opposite and they haven't seen one either.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see how the RFL are monitoring the success of this and any findings. Remember as well that the Betfair deal was hardly the enormous barrel of cash that is often inferred.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see how the RFL are monitoring the success of this and any findings. Remember as well that the Betfair deal was hardly the enormous barrel of cash that is often inferred.

I agree - wonder how they can measure the success of this. Nigel Wood has said he has heard estimates of between £1m to £2.5m in its worth of sponsorship. If they were investing this money in sponsorship themselves i wonder what they would want to get out of it?

Nigel Wood stated that the deal is worth millions in advertising...but he also thought up the the club call...so i dont know if he should be trusted.

And the name Halifax Blue Sox

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

Is it not possible to merge the twice-weekly threads in which poster X hasn't seen a trailer and therefore the whole deal is a catastrophe? No, your position isn't justified if you ask the person in the desk opposite and they haven't seen one either.

No it wasn't but in a game were everyone is just about broke then £800k is around £60k per club and I am sure that every club would welcome the money.

Archived