Football

Great goal by Bale , horror show by the goalie , and usual disgraceful cheating by Ramos . I love the WC but that’s the kind of cheatfest it also is to often . Anything to win now 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

I watched on You Tube on the tube and in the pub after Fulham s great win at Wembley. I think we will do well in the Premier League next season if we keep. Sess ,Cairney and Mitro and add four or five proven Premier League players.

I was really pleased Fulham won. They have been the most consistent side over 2 years now and deserve promotion. 

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Unless I got the wrong end of the stick. I think Aston Villa lost a play off game to the PL?

Once upon a time Villa were in the European Cup themselves and winning it. How times change

Exactly right.

And their parachute payment now drops from £33m to £7m making it that much harder to assemble a team to get out of the division.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

29 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Unless I got the wrong end of the stick. I think Aston Villa lost a play off game to the PL?

Once upon a time Villa were in the European Cup themselves and winning it. How times change

And sadly I’m old enough to remember it well ! That was a good team . Gordon Cowans was a silky player , Withe Morley and Shaw 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

And sadly I’m old enough to remember it well ! That was a good team . Gordon Cowans was a silky player , Withe Morley and Shaw 

...and a young Nigel Spink having to replace the injured Jimmy Rimmer. Then kept a clean sheet in the European Cup Final in only his 2nd Villa game. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Just now, Wiltshire Rhino said:

...and a young Nigel Spink having to replace the injured Jimmy Rimmer. Kept a clean sheet in the European Cup Final on only his 2nd Villa game. 

9 minutes yeh

3 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Losing your best player to a freak injury and then having your keeper put in that kind of performance renders any kind of enjoyment impossible.

One to forget very quickly!

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a keeper crack like that before on such a big stage TWICE!!

Real were and are a better team than us but the difference was those two mistakes. Bale’s first goal was amazing and nothing could be done about that. But the defence especially was magnificent blunting Ronaldo to a peripheral role. The midfield tried hard but had nowhere near enough quality to match Kroos, Modric and whilst the attack caused problems, the loss of Salah and a deeper Real back line blunted their effectiveness.

So so disappointed as we held our own and it was down to those two horrendous mistakes by Karius. He’ll certainly need support from the club over the next few days, weeks and months as he cost he club a shot at winner the biggest club trophy in the world; he knew it too. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a keeper crack like that before on such a big stage TWICE!!

As a football fan I used to find goalkeeper errors hilarious, unless it's the Swindon Town goalie doing it. 

However since my lad has been playing in goal, goalkeeping errors just make me wince......well......unless it's the opposing goalie in a Town match. 

Last night's were particularly bad though and on such a big stage. He'll never be allowed to forget it! It's probably already a meme. 

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

9 minutes yeh

Jimmy Rimmer won two European Cup medals for playing nine minutes in total. He was substitute goalie for United in 1968 too.

4 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

Jimmy Rimmer won two European Cup medals for playing nine minutes in total. He was substitute goalie for United in 1968 too.

Take a bow for that one

1 hour ago, bazzzz65 said:

And was an England international.

For forty-five minutes.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

27 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

And was an England international.

For forty-five minutes.

Yes. Just the one cap but there were many great goalies around then.

Just now, bazzzz65 said:

Yes. Just the one cap but there were many great goalies around then.

True.

He would be on forty caps now.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Forest and Villa both unfashionable clubs winning  stuff like the EC seems incredible today.

Manchester City have been an unfashionable club for most of their existence. In contrast to United's "Theatre of Dreams", Maine Road used to be nicknamed the "Theatre of Base Comedy", by Stuart Hall.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Manchester City have been an unfashionable club for most of their existence. In contrast to United's "Theatre of Dreams", Maine Road used to be nicknamed the "Theatre of Base Comedy", by Stuart Hall.

Bernard Manning used to crack that they’ve built a new stand but the only downside is it’s facing the pitch 

6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Bernard Manning used to crack that they’ve built a new stand but the only downside is it’s facing the pitch 

The old joke was the stand at Maine Road should have been built the other way around facing Moss Side because you’d see more shooting.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

That's a good point that a lot of people forget. 

I like them because of it just as I enjoyed seeing Nottingham Forest, Villa and Leicester win the league. 

Think Ramos won the cup for Real .He took advantage of His and Salahs arms locking , rolled him and made sure he fell on top of him in the hope of injuring his shoulder . Job done and star man of the field ........and no i am not a Liverpool supporter .

• 2 weeks later...

Besitkas fined €34,000 because a cat was on the pitch & stopped play in the Champions League last-16 tie v Bayern Munich. They were charged with "Insufficient Organisation", for letting the post-match meal escape?

According to the latest FIFA rankings Russia is the lowest ranked team in this year's World Cup, dropping below Saudi Arabia into 70th. If Putin has any say in the matter, & I'm sure he will, get your money on them to reach the final.

England are 12th, and their group rivals are Belgium 3rd, Tunisia 21st, & Panama 55th.

Edited by Bleep1673

17 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Heard the Chief scout for Aston Villa has quit. Rats & Sinking Ship springs to mind.

(as a Villa fan, I think we are deep in it next season).

Bloody hell, mate! I thought I had it bad supporting Man City and Salford, but Villa and Swinton! Wow! No one deserves that much pain!

FWIW, I first started supporting City in 1960, long before the current good spell started, and Salford in 1975, long after the last good spell.

• Like 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.