Catalans in turmoil.

Lowdesert

News yesterday of the Club in turmoil and confusing comments within l'Independent, 18.9.16, alluded to Taylor being asked to leave the Club.

"Taylor and Carney on departure" - "But another player says goodbye to Gilbert Brutus yesterday. The mainstay Dave Taylor, yet under contract, is bound. His gesture of annoyance when his coach asked him to leave testifies to its bad state of mind".

"Finally, Todd Carney will also be part of the convoy of starters and players leaving the club, knowing that Super League clubs are already positioning themselves to enlist.

"It is true we are looking for a team manager to work in tandem with Frayssinous.....". (Mick Potter).

"The Dragons have therefore initiated a profound change with the arrival of a team manager and confirmed departures of Escare, Munis, Mason, Richards, Maria, Elima, Stewart and Robin and future of Carney and Taylor."

On top of the aforementioned, Pellisiers agent is still openly touting him around SL clubs.

Begs several questions for me.

Where does Guasch seem to think he can get another quality stand off? Or is a deal done?

Discounting Mason, they will be losing 6 forwards. 3 of those, Elima, Taylor and Stewart can still do the business. One ex Cats player muted to return. 6 forwards! Where will these come from?

Is Guasch doing a Marwan by too much influence?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

News yesterday of the Club in turmoil and confusing comments within l'Independent, 18.9.16, alluded to Taylor being asked to leave the Club.

"Taylor and Carney on departure" - "But another player says goodbye to Gilbert Brutus yesterday. The mainstay Dave Taylor, yet under contract, is bound. His gesture of annoyance when his coach asked him to leave testifies to its bad state of mind".

"Finally, Todd Carney will also be part of the convoy of starters and players leaving the club, knowing that Super League clubs are already positioning themselves to enlist.

"It is true we are looking for a team manager to work in tandem with Frayssinous.....". (Mick Potter).

"The Dragons have therefore initiated a profound change with the arrival of a team manager and confirmed departures of Escare, Munis, Mason, Richards, Maria, Elima, Stewart and Robin and future of Carney and Taylor."

On top of the aforementioned, Pellisiers agent is still openly touting him around SL clubs.

Begs several questions for me.

Where does Guasch seem to think he can get another quality stand off? Or is a deal done?

Discounting Mason, they will be losing 6 forwards. 3 of those, Elima, Taylor and Stewart can still do the business. One ex Cats player muted to return. 6 forwards! Where will these come from?

Is Guasch doing a Marwan by too much influence?

Elima is no longer effective and has hardly played this year so no loss. For me Maria, Taylor and Stewart are the only real losses; Stewart's reasons for leaving are understandable and if Taylor is a bad egg then that too is understandable.

In the forwards, I would expect with another off season, more the academy to step up. I'm sure more will be seen of Navarette, DeZaria, Seguir, and possibly Belmas, with Margalet and Perez to return. Mickalezyk may even make the step up. Garcia will move back from the centres too. Obviously those players aren't of the same quality as Stewart and Taylor so they'll need to recruit too, but their backs are more of a concern in my opinion

Well, they have a lot of potential new recruits. This clear out may be exactly what they need. I thought Carney might have visa issues, but he is far too talented not to have a very long queue of clubs after him.

Hardly, any well respected club wouldn't touch Carney with a barge pole. Some desperate struggling club will want him though

If Taylor's shown poor attitude in the club's eyes, it hasn't been on the pitch. He's bust a gut, when the Catalans were doing well, and also when they started to fall apart.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It wont happen but Castleford would be the right place for Carney under DP's guidance. I will never understand Dave Taylor he should be spoken of as the best RL player in the world with his size and skill set but he just drifts from club to club.

It wont happen but Castleford would be the right place for Carney under DP's guidance. I will never understand Dave Taylor he should be spoken of as the best RL player in the world with his size and skill set but he just drifts from club to club.

Quite clearly can't fit in.

If he has form for this no one can blame cats for letting him go...

Same with Carney, only there as he can't get a gig at home!

I'm amazed that many RL clubs,not just Catalans,dont take more notice of character/personality/family/past injuries/disciplinary record etc,when they sign a player.They seem to repeatedly sign players based solely on their playing ability and then somehow hope that their history/problems dont reoccur.Maybe it's down to the limited supply of suitable players but no other profession would sign people who have repeatedly failed elsewhere.

I'm amazed that many RL clubs,not just Catalans,dont take more notice of character/personality/family/past injuries/disciplinary record etc,when they sign a player.They seem to repeatedly sign players based solely on their playing ability and then somehow hope that their history/problems dont reoccur.Maybe it's down to the limited supply of suitable players but no other profession would sign people who have repeatedly failed elsewhere.

Rhubarb.

Taylor's played at 4 Clubs. One well known coach, at Brisbane, thought he was one of the most naturally gifted players. Maybe that why other clubs have signed him?

Myler has played at the same number of clubs. Does that make him a failure or even Ian Henderson, where Cats where his 5th Club?

Players are absolutely signed on their ability and feedback from others who know that player.

Also getting players with a wife, and children of school age to come to a foreign country with a foreign language must be difficult,

Either you sign a player with no wife and he'll roam the coast to find one or you sign a player with a wife and kids and it's too difficult for them. 

Louis Anderson has 7 or 8 kids, speaks French and even a fair bit of Catalan. It's all about how much they want to put in. Unfortunately, Carney and Taylor are lazy. They want the most while doing the least. 

Whitehead doesn't speak French, drinks a lot (of beer, the Rosbeef!) and actually played like a god. He wasn't lazy. 

Also getting players with a wife, and children of school age to come to a foreign country with a foreign language must be difficult,

If you think it is hard attracting players to live in the South of France I can only assume you have never been to Cas, Salford or Wigan!

Archived