RUGBY OLDHAM NEWSLETTER

roughyed8

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice idea that Tandle.

Just because I'm a bit of a rugby freak sometimes lol, I have just checked the attendance figures for league games only to illustrate that crowds are rising not falling even out of town.

Last seasons average at Whitebank was 602 rounded up, after 11 home games.

This season at Stalybridge so far (after 7 home games with 4 remaining including a potential big crowd v Bradford) the average is 932.

50%+ increase on Whitebank crowds that,of course there is more away support too but still not so bad after all,be nice to break the 1000 average,bet that ain't happened for a while,wish we averaged 9320 though!

Taken from the Roughyeds official site and the Chron back in November2015 hope this puts your question to bed and tucks it in.

OLDHAM RL chairman Chris Hamilton “remains hopeful”, after meetings with his Athletic counterpart Simon Corney, that Roughyeds will be playing Kingstone Press Championship rugby next season at SportsDirect.com Park.

Thanks for that clarification. Don't think five grand is a lot of it includes stewarding and police costs. Especially of it was the new North stand because it's very good. I sit in there now rather than the main stand.

Oldham athletic own nothing they have been asset stripped they are not in a good financial position they could not pay players wages this season suppose they had gone belly up where would that have left us

also their pitch is a disaster we would have had several games postponed the facts are we not going to get a ground in Oldham except whitebank but remember ch does not own it would you spend money on something you do not own.

in bower fold we have a great ground and should be very grateful half a hour away just be thankful for what we have got get of your backsides and support your own local team the roughyeds above all others.

No problem. For what its worth I think the atmosphere from one stand wouldn't be anywhere near the atmosphere generated at Bower Fold, plus you can stand at BF and change ends. Plus £5000 is a lot for Latics to graciously open the doors for us, no doubt we would have been given the old main stand. I think everyone agrees we need a ground in Oldham but for me Boundary Park is a non starter.

I can't fault Bower Fold and if the deal they've agreed has enabled the club to invest in the team then all the better. BP doesn't create the same atmosphere in my opinion and if the pitch in April when I watched latics play Swindon was anything to go by then it wouldn't have held up anyway.

Come on the yeds!

It's a valid point about the pitch, it was in poor repair for the last few games of the season. Still think that the only long term solution is BP though. Whitebank is never going to be improved. Even Jim Mcmahon said the club are now on their own with the ground

forget any body buying Oldham athletic they are a name only they have no assets in 5 years time boundary park will be a building site watch plan b.

no doubt you have heard stories like this before but I believe it to be true a businessman friend of mine who is well in with members of the athletic board one told him that Marwan koukash  had a meeting with a certain owner about buying Oldham athletic he was told the price was £22million.

he then asked what he was buying and was told he was buying a name I can not print his reply the only hope for boundary park is a council buy out after all a town without sports teams is not a town.

Me and my son will continue to support the club come what may.I am from Oldham, an oldhamer who loves his rugger so it has to be Oldham. I don't always agree with the runnings of the club but there's nothing I can do about that, it's the team I support. I appreciate and understand both sides.Alot of man utd fans don't like the Glazers but it doesn't stop 70000 of them turning up every home game.Support your team,not necessarily the hierarchy.

one of the (many) reasons/excuses that the deal was a no-go at BP, is that SC didnt want ORLFC totally ruining his pitch by playing rugby on it.

As you can plainly see....playing matches at the Fold has completely ruined the playing surface and it looks in tatters every time we go...oh....wait.....

RO34. I have come very close to coming back to the fold. It hurts alot attending but I am a man of my word and will be watching the summer bash I just wish CH had taken up the offer of a fan liason officer as this would have encouraged dialogue

Up the yeds

Fair enough Clifford, as TBF says be good to see people who don't reguarly attend come to Summer Bash. As has been stated before I think, I do understand peoples frustrations with CH but as supporters of the club. I ask this though... would attending away matches only, not solve the thorny issue of folk thinking they are lining CH pockets. Seems an obvious solution for those people as they get to watch the Yeds and also stick to their principles in not supporting CH? Seems a win/win for the people saying they won't go to home games because of CH,bit of rugby and also shows that people do care about the team if not the Chairman? Maybe after a couple of games attitudes may swing to realising we have a great team and some may see the light and come to home games too after seeing how much effort the lads put in. I understand that I may be wasting my time with this but its just a thought.

Archived