http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/22/rfl-four-nations-final-anfield

According to this article, the 4 nations will be hosted at

KC Lightstream Stadium
John Smith's Stadium
Ricoh Arena
Zebra Claims Stadium
Olympic Park Stadium
Anfield

However, do these stadiums have enough space for RL pitch length (at least 112m)?

Old Trafford is often used, but Old Trafford does not have enough space (the length of ingoals is only 4.5m).

I always think about shortening the length of field of play from 100m to 94m.  (94m is the minimum in RU)

I think that there will be no trouble about too short ingoals if the length of field of play is 94m.  Could you tell me your opinions?

It's really disappointing that not one game will be played in Scotland! As for the short fields something needs to be done as the way modern rugby league is now involves players attacking with the ball over the sideline before it touches the grounds so safety provisions must be made for that with extra turf or padding

It's really disappointing that not one game will be played in Scotland! As for the short fields something needs to be done as the way modern rugby league is now involves players attacking with the ball over the sideline before it touches the grounds so safety provisions must be made for that with extra turf or padding

Yes, at least 1 Scotland game should be held at Murrayfield.

The fact that Scotland will be playing no home games in this years 4nations tells me that RL in Scotland has no long term future :-(

The fact that Scotland will be playing no home games in this years 4nations tells me that RL in Scotland has no long term future :-(

Without more support than it can currently muster, it will continue to struggle.

England are the hosts of the tournament, not England and Scotland. However, one of their matches is being held as close to the border as possible, which is a concession the organisers weren't obliged to make, but did anyway. 

Anfield's pitch length is a little short of ideal, but matches have been played on pitches of non-standard dimensions before.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the tournament makes a healthy profit, a grant needs to be made to Grassroots game in Scotland. Other wise its a waste of time no more than a bunch of Englishmen & Aussies with Scottish grandparents get a big game and may never be seen in Scotland Jersey again! 

Short fields need to have safety features eg padding in the in goals and side lines to p[rotect the players 

Anfield must not used for RL.  Even Old Trafford, whose Football pitch length is standard 105m, does not have enough length for RL.  Anfield is shorter than Old Trafford (only 101m).

How to solve this problem?  How about reducing the length of field of play from 100m to 94m?

• 2 weeks later...

Anfield must not used for RL.  Even Old Trafford, whose Football pitch length is standard 105m, does not have enough length for RL.  Anfield is shorter than Old Trafford (only 101m).

How to solve this problem?  How about reducing the length of field of play from 100m to 94m?

Minimum field of play length is 92m

These are the rules for the top 3 tiers in the UK. I imagine it would be similar for international matches

There must be a permanent solid barrier excluding spectators from the playing area. In addition and as provided in the Facility Standards the minimum size of each ground are:

(a) a clear playing area of not less than 88 metres from goal line to goal line and 55 metres from touch line to touch line;

(b ) that the dead ball line shall be not less than 6 metres nor more than 11 metres behind the goal line;

(c ) that there shall be a suitable clear margin of 3 metres along the touch lines and dead ball lines;

Where (a) and (b ) above can only be achieved to the exclusion of (c ) then for the avoidance of doubt, and as a temporary measure, only the pitch should be marked to ensure that there is a clear margin of 3 metres with the distance between the dead ball line and the goal line reduced accordingly. Where the playing area is larger than the minimum specified above and the ground otherwise fulfils requirements it shall not be reduced for the purposes of any Match unless directed by the Board. The appropriately appointed Match Official may order the pitch markings to be changed if he thinks fit prior to allowing a Match to kick off.

Where a Club cannot achieve a clear margin of 3 metres along the touch lines and dead ball lines but can achieve 2 metres it may apply to the RFL for dispensation to have collapsible or padded structures within 2m and 3m of the touch and dead ball lines.

For the avoidance of doubt a padded TV camera may be placed in between 2m and 3m of the touch and dead ball lines but photographers may not. Persons carrying out official duties under these Operational Rules may also be within 2m and 3m of the touch and dead ball lines.

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

88m minimum?  Isn't it too short?  Would shorter field of play significantly influence tactics?

Then, 105.6m (88m plus 8.8m ingoals) pitch would be nice for high-level competitions?

Castleford's pitch is very short and it doesn't make that much difference.

Archived