RL presence on YouTube

RSN

As it's the off season and there is barely any RL to watch on the TV I have started watching a few of the old matches from the 2016 season.

I have had a browse on YouTube and had a look through old games to see what there is on offer.

The thing which really stood out for me was the difference in standard between NRL exposure and SL exposure and the quality of the videos. It obviously helps with the NRL having all their games televised, but the game by game highlights and other videos are on a completely different level.

The game by game highlights videos have a voice over on the NRL ones which goes over the live game commentary and puts a bit of structure into it. It comes across as way more professional as opposed to the SL ones which are just videos of the games.

Then there is the montages of NRL players and their highlights. These videos portray them as superstars and attract attention from people who don't watch the game and spreads their name. There is these sort of videos for countless NRL players whilst there is minimal ones for SL players and if they are made they aren't half as good.

Is this something the RFL should be looking to improve on for SL? I know a lot of the NRL videos are made by private individuals, but surely if the RFL employ someone to do this sort of thing it will spread the game to more people. With smart TVs coming in which have direct access to YouTube and the vast majority of people under 16 going on YouTube on a regular basis surely it is a very cheap and easy way to promote the sport to people.

What are people's thoughts?

A lot of the footage is uploaded unofficially, but some of those can also be well-made. But the sheer quantity of multi-camera footage (with commentary) available from the likes of NRL.com must make it so much easier to assemble a decent showreel.

Most of the reaction videos made by Americans on YouTube are based on NRL clips, and you can see why.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The NRL has upped its game.  For a long while all they did was go around deleting clips from youtube, vine and twitter etc.  

They have now twigged that people want to see these big hits, amazing tries.  And they want to see them quickly.  Its something the american NFL do, as soon as there is a great play or touchdown, its out there on social media.  Instead of some rubbish recording on a iPhone of the TV, why not do it professionally with all the logos and call to arms/links.

I said years ago that the RFL should do their own versions of the 'big hits' montage, instead of trying to have it taken off air.  It was shared around all sorts of places, non rugby sites as well.

Editing a clip is really easy nowadays.  I mean really easy.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

As it's the off season and there is barely any RL to watch on the TV I have started watching a few of the old matches from the 2016 season.

I have had a browse on YouTube and had a look through old games to see what there is on offer.

The thing which really stood out for me was the difference in standard between NRL exposure and SL exposure and the quality of the videos. It obviously helps with the NRL having all their games televised, but the game by game highlights and other videos are on a completely different level.

The game by game highlights videos have a voice over on the NRL ones which goes over the live game commentary and puts a bit of structure into it. It comes across as way more professional as opposed to the SL ones which are just videos of the games.

Then there is the montages of NRL players and their highlights. These videos portray them as superstars and attract attention from people who don't watch the game and spreads their name. There is these sort of videos for countless NRL players whilst there is minimal ones for SL players and if they are made they aren't half as good.

Is this something the RFL should be looking to improve on for SL? I know a lot of the NRL videos are made by private individuals, but surely if the RFL employ someone to do this sort of thing it will spread the game to more people. With smart TVs coming in which have direct access to YouTube and the vast majority of people under 16 going on YouTube on a regular basis surely it is a very cheap and easy way to promote the sport to people.

Unfortunately the RFL are very unaware of the potential for the right sort of YT or indeed how it works. Just like some RL fans they believe anything will do just having some presence in the different media is enough. 

However outside of official lethargy there is some quality entertainment for the off season.

The NRL has upped its game.  For a long while all they did was go around deleting clips from youtube, vine and twitter etc.  

I think some bean counter explained to them that the YT market, in lost potential earnings, was trivial compared with the exposure they stood to gain. If they see an unofficial but well-made video with a lot of hits they just keep walking.

There must be a reason why every major sport on the planet spends bigly on their online video presence. The most obvious reason is that they have assembled all the stats and decided that the potential exposure far outweighs the production costs.

There's a Benji Marshall highlights which has 450,000 views after 6 years. That's potentially a lot of people who've heard the name but don't follow RL. The cost to the NRL? They didn't make it but it's only 15 minutes and they get 400,000 at least who watch each 80-minute live game through the season. Consider those numbers and YT vids, official or not, aren't hurting the paid viewership at all, IMO.

Have you also looked at RL apps for smartphones? Some of the video available there is pretty impressive.

Simply put it is all about money and resource. The NRL is self-contained with its own extensive budget; the RFL is still beholden to the clubs and can only spend its money in an approved fashion. If that meant less dripping into the SL clubs' coffers in the short-term I doubt that approval would be forthcoming.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

If we had any budget...

Near as dammit instant clips onto Facebook, twitter, insta and snapchat.  If people know the clip is coming they will wait a few minutes then share it rather than a vine some recorded on their phone.  Fully sponsored with call to actions, easy way to grow a brand.  Give to the fans, then once in a while sell, or ask for retweets etc.

Embrace the Vlog generation.  Pick 3-4 players with character (not too much character....) and give them some training in doing weekly vlogs.  Training, food, diet, after game.  Help with editing, etc.  Build on snapchat.  

Weekly community style blog, feature the small clubs.  A few tries and behind the scenes at a community club (they seem to be doing this already).  Push it on same feed as tries and big hits.  

Vlogs from the lower leagues.  Part time player juggling with real jobs and training.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I think some bean counter explained to them that the YT market, in lost potential earnings, was trivial compared with the exposure they stood to gain. If they see an unofficial but well-made video with a lot of hits they just keep walking.

There must be a reason why every major sport on the planet spends bigly on their online video presence. The most obvious reason is that they have assembled all the stats and decided that the potential exposure far outweighs the production costs.

There's a Benji Marshall highlights which has 450,000 views after 6 years. That's potentially a lot of people who've heard the name but don't follow RL. The cost to the NRL? They didn't make it but it's only 15 minutes and they get 400,000 at least who watch each 80-minute live game through the season. Consider those numbers and YT vids, official or not, aren't hurting the paid viewership at all, IMO.

One YouTube video which has had a lot of reactions from non-RL people is The Footwork of Shaun Johnson & Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, which was uploaded 2 years ago, and now has 580,000 views just for the original compilation.

Add to that the extra thousands of views it has got via YouTube 'reactors' and that's a lot of people seeing their skills.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

One YouTube video which has had a lot of reactions from non-RL people is The Footwork of Shaun Johnson & Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, which was uploaded 2 years ago, and now has 580,000 views just for the original compilation.

Add to that the extra thousands of views it has got via YouTube 'reactors' and that's a lot of people seeing their skills.

Again though this brings up the issue of our name. That video was shared by a lot of RU sites who have far more followers than RL sites. Most people watching the video will assume it is RU they're watching.

Again though this brings up the issue of our name. That video was shared by a lot of RU sites who have far more followers than RL sites. Most people watching the video will assume it is RU they're watching.

A lot of the people watching the video will not know what Rugby Union or Rugby League is - it will just be 'Rugby' to them. But if they are excited enough by what they've seen to search for either player's name, they will easily find more information about them.

If they lack that much natural curiosity, then they're unlikely to become fans anyway.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Which is why the same style video (in 1080P full HD wonderfulness) with the correct logos, call to actions, etc would be fantastic.

Stop being scared of giving fans something for free.  

Archived