spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

was really happy to see a pair of Song Thrushes in the garden the other morning,it's been a long while

we've got a pair of Dunnocks in the conifers at the bottom and there's a Robin that has taken a shine to the food we put out,the friendly Blackbird has brought a pal with him,and the Starlings are here half a dozen at a time,2 or 3 Jackdaws have been on the garage roof along with the Collared Doves that are nesting nearby,there's a 3rd Wood Pigeon that's arrived which turns up occasionally with the other 2,I thought they might have seen him off.

The friendly Blackbird came down onto the fence whilst I was putting some fruit out and actually caught my ear with his wing,he sat on 1 edge of the feed tray as I had my hand on the other side a matter of inches away

there's something very relaxing about seeing a good crowd of them in the garden at the same time :)

Edited by voteronniegibbs
  • Like 1

was really happy to see a pair of Song Thrushes in the garden the other morning,it's been a long while

we've got a pair of Dunnocks in the conifers at the bottom and there's a Robin that has taken a shine to the food we put out,the friendly Blackbird has brought a pal with him,and the Starlings are here half a dozen at a time,2 or 3 Jackdaws have been on the garage roof along with the Collared Doves that are nesting nearby,there's a 3rd Wood Pigeon that's arrived which turns up occasionally with the other 2,I thought they might have seen him off.

The friendly Blackbird came down onto the fence whilst I was putting some fruit out and actually caught my ear with his wing,he sat on 1 edge of the feed tray as I had my hand on the other side a matter of inches away

there's something very relaxing about seeing a good crowd of them in the garden at the same time :)

Just taken up all the paving in the back garden. Love watching the birds fly down and burrow into the sand to clean themselves :D

Surely you mean cuddies, jippies and a stoggy? :D

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just taken up all the paving in the back garden. Love watching the birds fly down and burrow into the sand to clean themselves :D

I was watching the first swallows I've seen this year take dust baths in a yard in Minskip this morning.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

I enjoy the wildlife in our garden, from simple blue and coal #### to green- and goldfinches along with the occasional visit from the Jay and Woodpecker that live in the woods next to our house. Even the local pheasant seems to have found a friend round our way and is seen occasionally.

That said, one of the wood pigeons that visits our garden needs to be careful, he's a fat knacker and is about the size of a chicken, he takes a huge run-up to get airborne meaning he's a very tempting target for our cats. Thankfully, our cats seem to be happier watching the birds rather than chasing them.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I was watching the first swallows I've seen this year take dust baths in a yard in Minskip this morning.

the two houses over the road from us have had house martins in the eaves for the past 2/3 years, always nice to see them

I found it quite comical the other week when the 2 big wood pigeons were down and couldn't get to the peanuts because there was a starling trying to rough them up everytime they went near the fat ball he was chewing on

We have a Robin, #### galore, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeons, Rock Doves (just a fancy name for Pigeons) and Mr and Mrs Blackbird that visit the garden. A pair of Magpies nest in the conifer next door but one.

The cat does her utmost to catch the lot!! So far she has failed.

On the tow path there is a Kingfisher and Song Thrushes.

Salford RLFC.

Les Diables Rouges Originaux 1934

Christopher Ellaby, my Dad, born 21 May 1920, died 4 August 2006.

Night Night God Bless Dad

While Ive been laid up these last few weeks, I have had a good chance to see what our up-dated bird feeders have brought in.

The robins are non-stop, our chaffinches love what we put out for them, the blackbird wants me to cut the lawn again, he can't get through the long grass properly now, but tries, collared doves and wood pigeons are too big for the bird table but crawl on anyway, and starlings are greeder feckers.

Think I spotted one tree sparrow here amongst the multitude of house sparrows we get.

The few ponds around are keeping a heron occupied, and a Red Kite took prey behind the houses opposite. Not sure what.

There's goldfinches around, but rarely seen at the back or the house, but the front.

Only had one ###### feeding (great I think), they tend to stay nearer the fields 2 streets back.

Love watching the arial duels when crows try to mob a kite.

Kites just own the skies, barely a flick of the wing as they wheel away from the pests, just awesome since they were brought back.

Strangely enough, I don't see many ducks here.Must be a myth, that bit about this town.

Couple of magpies hanging about. If only I had a gun......

Wires record breaking 10 match run: L 16-17 ; L 34-36 ; L 24-44 ; L 20-38 ; L 8-46; L 14-26 ; L 20-40 ; L 22-48 ; L 14-20 ; L 8-60. Thanks Jimmy.The Glamour Club. Apparently.

Captain Morgan Trophy Holders.(I still think we have the British Coal 9's trophy hidden somewhere, too...)

Ooooh, the Challenge Cup!!! Thank you Tony.....

And again!!!smith_morley_small.jpg

Tipping Competiton Challenged Shield Winner 2010

With a fairly large woodland/orchard garden, I get frequent green woodpeckers, which actually feed on ants, on the ground, plus both greater and lesser spotted woodpeckers in my dead trees.

As I put out nyger seed, I get goldfinches galore, plus siskins.

Regulars in the trees and at feeders are blue ####, great ####, bullfinches, blackcaps, greenfinches and chaffinches. A robin follows me around the garden, waiting for me to turn up some food from the soil. I've also seen a treecreeper crawling down a tree (I believe they are the only native birds that can do this).

Sparrows and wrens are fairly frequent, but I have never seen a nuthatch or goldcrest, as far as I know. I get the usual larger species of pigeons and the rook family.

I also have resident house martins every summer, and plenty of bats from twilight.

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy.

• 3 weeks later...

The swifts are back above our house, circling in the blue sky.

Always a sign that warm weather is on its way.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

With a fairly large woodland/orchard garden, I get frequent green woodpeckers, which actually feed on ants, on the ground, plus both greater and lesser spotted woodpeckers in my dead trees.

As I put out nyger seed, I get goldfinches galore, plus siskins.

Regulars in the trees and at feeders are blue ####, great ####, bullfinches, blackcaps, greenfinches and chaffinches. A robin follows me around the garden, waiting for me to turn up some food from the soil. I've also seen a treecreeper crawling down a tree (I believe they are the only native birds that can do this).

Sparrows and wrens are fairly frequent, but I have never seen a nuthatch or goldcrest, as far as I know. I get the usual larger species of pigeons and the rook family.

I also have resident house martins every summer, and plenty of bats from twilight.

You are better off trying to listen out for goldcrests as they are small and very fast. If you search on google you will find a sample of their call. My favourite bird I dont have to see but hear. The majestic skylark. Nuthaches also crawl down trees but thay have a blue back.

By the way you dont have a moat do you.

"Eh Up, potty mouth. I know life hasn't been kind to you, but there's no need to parade your resentful jealousy on here." JohnM 16th April 2020

My next door neighbours do everything they possibly can to attract anything from birds to ..........

I don't have a problem with this really, but my house, car etc is covered with bird poo and believe me it is exceptionally difficult trying to remove bird poo from your car/house???!!!

And funnily enough my next door neighbours house is completely clean and clear, NO bird poo!!!!!!!!

If this continues the birds etc will die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree. Blackbirds can get really friendly. I always put a few sultanas down for them when I change their drinking water as I go to work.

They now wait for me and come and get me out of the back garden for their treat at weekends!

Agree. Blackbirds can get really friendly. I always put a few sultanas down for them when I change their drinking water as I go to work.

They now wait for me and come and get me out of the back garden for their treat at weekends!

one of ours has started to come into the garage when we're in there,he's sussed that that's where the fodder is kept

I'm beginning to wonder whether he's used to us or is training us :D

We have a crow in my back garden .Its as hard as nails, even next door neighbors cat gives it a wide birth. I have only started getting interested in bird spotting since Kate Humble graced my TV.

kh180_tcm9-167013.jpg

It's a sign you're getting old, mate.

We get a huge variety of birds, Robins, great, coal and blue ####. Chaffinch, Gold finch, bull finch, both sparrows, wren, blackbirds, woodpecker, magpies and odd Jay.

we currently have great #### nesting above the patio, i have added another nesting box to see if it will attract other birds next year.

we currently have great #### nesting above the patio, i have added another nesting box to see if it will attract other birds next year.

I'll give it til the end of the day before someone makes a joke.

15 minutes!

Cheers westhuller.

Edited by hindle xiii

We get a huge variety of birds, Robins, great, coal and blue ####. Chaffinch, Gold finch, bull finch, both sparrows, wren, blackbirds, woodpecker, magpies and odd Jay.

great_tits_ladies_shirt_style_3-p235066693186715121y383_400.jpg

Our neighbourhood Jay seems to like the gardening we did at the weekend and has been in our garden at least two or three times since. :)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"