More bad news for the World's 99th-best Football League

As if being ranked 99th-best in the World wasn't bad enough, the A-League has been overtaken in the TV ratings by Women's T20. Not even the Women's T20 WC but the Women's Big Bash, the OZ domestic league.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-03/fact-check-does-womens-big-bash-league-outrate-the-a-league/7253846

Last year my GP changed my blood pressure medication and it gave me very vivid dreams.  One of my dreams was that the great British public finally saw through football for the overpaid rubbish that it really is and that it collapsed to Man Utd v Man City being held in front of man+dog on a public park in Manchester.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Last year my GP changed my blood pressure medication and it gave me very vivid dreams.  One of my dreams was that the great British public finally saw through football for the overpaid rubbish that it really is and that it collapsed to Man Utd v Man City being held in front of man+dog on a public park in Manchester.

I have been an avid follower of rugby league for over 50 years but I cannot understand the venom shown on this site for football.Why do people on here think that football is only followed by idiots who follow like sheep? I wish RL had a quarter of the following of football.

I have been an avid follower of rugby league for over 50 years but I cannot understand the venom shown on this site for football.Why do people on here think that football is only followed by idiots who follow like sheep? I wish RL had a quarter of the following of football.

If people like football, that's their choice, I'm happy for them if they get enjoyment out of the sport.  I just don't like it.  I'd rather watch the Pro Kabbadi League on Sky Sports than football.  For me, the hype and overpromotion is just ridiculous now.  There was an advert on the telly just now during the Women's T20 Final about extraordinary skill in Premiership football, one of the three micro-clips showed an attacker deliberately drag his foot on the ground on a tiny bit of contact so he'd fall over rather than riding the tackle through to a near 1:1 with the goalkeeper, that's not skill, that's cheating.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

If people like football, that's their choice, I'm happy for them if they get enjoyment out of the sport.  I just don't like it.  I'd rather watch the Pro Kabbadi League on Sky Sports than football.  For me, the hype and overpromotion is just ridiculous now.  There was an advert on the telly just now during the Women's T20 Final about extraordinary skill in Premiership football, one of the three micro-clips showed an attacker deliberately drag his foot on the ground on a tiny bit of contact so he'd fall over rather than riding the tackle through to a near 1:1 with the goalkeeper, that's not skill, that's cheating.

Craig I agree that the Premier League is overhyped but at the moment I am on holiday in Thailand and the interest here is phenomenal.Away from the expat/tourist areas there are tv channels that show every game on a different channel in bars.That is why the Premier League is able to make so much money for their overseas rights.I m a Fulham fan so we won t be benefitting for a few years yet(if ever the way we are playing at present).

As if being ranked 99th-best in the World wasn't bad enough, the A-League has been overtaken in the TV ratings by Women's T20. Not even the Women's T20 WC but the Women's Big Bash, the OZ domestic league.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-03/fact-check-does-womens-big-bash-league-outrate-the-a-league/7253846

Those seem incredible figures for the WBBL, mind!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I enjoy Football. 

Sorry.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I enjoy Football. 

Sorry.

Nowt wrong with that, each to their own.  It'd be a boring old world if we all liked and did the same thing.

A-League isn't the greatest standard of football so I wouldn't expect it to have high ratings but it's quite surprising seeing it come second to women's t20 cricket. After all the hyping up of the league, I was expecting it to make decent inroads but it's just the FFA blowing their own trumpet. The standard is ridiculously poor

Those seem incredible figures for the WBBL, mind!

It's quite watchable.OZ has a pretty good standard of Women's cricket and the better players can draw a bit of sponsorship. Players like Elyse Perry, Alex Blackwell and Meg Lanning get enough media to be fairly recognisable.

It's quite watchable.OZ has a pretty good standard of Women's cricket and the better players can draw a bit of sponsorship. Players like Elyse Perry, Alex Blackwell and Meg Lanning get enough media to be fairly recognisable.

Standards definitely rising and credit to Cricket Australia for backing the league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A-League isn't the greatest standard of football so I wouldn't expect it to have high ratings but it's quite surprising seeing it come second to women's t20 cricket. After all the hyping up of the league, I was expecting it to make decent inroads but it's just the FFA blowing their own trumpet. The standard is ridiculously poor

I don't follow it but it's hard to see the standard improving much when there's so much money and demand from Asia and Europe for the better players.

If you spend much time around here you'll realise that there is a core of followers that take that view for any sport other than RL

I don't follow it but it's hard to see the standard improving much when there's so much money and demand from Asia and Europe for the better players.

I think they were going for an MLS model without quite realising that the MLS has substantially more money behind it - and they've now been outgunned by retirement leagues in China and elsewhere that weren't there before.

A few years ago I watched some of the games and thought them okay.  Now I just don't bother.

I think the success of Leicester has rekindled the interest of a lot of fans, especially older ones like myself who never thought we would see a small club with an opportunity to win the Premier League again.

Today's game was not good in footballibg terms but it was exciting.

If you spend much time around here you'll realise that there is a core of followers that take that view for any sport other than RL

As I'm sure there are in any sports. There are plenty of hooligan football fans and snobbish rugby union ones. I would say it's just a*sehole people rather than indicative of any sport.

I find it amazing that the a-league is ranked 99th. They don't so too bad attendance wise.

I like football but hate the Premier League. I think that's an increasingly common view from football fans (by which I mean people who actually go to games rather than watch from home/the pub and pontificate on Twitter, etc).

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I'd rather watch the Pro Kabbadi League on Sky Sports 

That's because it's amazing!  I'm still trying to fully work out the rules regarding Super raids and Do or Die raids, but it seems hypnotic and draws me in for ages when it's on.  It does look different to the Trans World Sport version from the 90s though; no one is shouting Kabbadi as they do it.

That's because it's amazing!  I'm still trying to fully work out the rules regarding Super raids and Do or Die raids, but it seems hypnotic and draws me in for ages when it's on.  It does look different to the Trans World Sport version from the 90s though; no one is shouting Kabbadi as they do it.

Do or Die Raid explained here: http://indianexpress.com/article/blogs/sports-blogs/everything-you-need-to-know-about-kabaddi/

And it's bloody brilliant.

I watch football on TV, but since my first attendence at a match (Man U v Blackpool 1970) you could count the number of other games on 2 hands, including England v Italy at Hayes (Not kidding)

Before anyone doubts me it was England National Conference v Italy Serie C

Archived